The Official 2019-2020 Toronto Maple Leafs Season Discussion Thread

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Liljegren for whatever reason, is a polarizing player. After watching him last year on the Marlies and reading his own comments about his training camp, he knows what he has to do to "get there"..Whether it's this year or next I see him as a player for us for many years. How high his ceiling is, is up in the air. He's too young to predict that yet.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
One cant help but notice that if theesfs can trade Ceci by Novemeber to coincide with the guys coming off ltir that it solves an awful lot of problems....
if Sandin steps up and shows he can take top 4 minutes I'd do it easily, but that's a big thing to ask him to prove in a month's time. Ceci did show well in preseason so hopefully he can keep it up, but I'm not super optimistic

Reactions: Menzinger

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Liljegren looks like an absolute monster physically. Probably a gym rat and Babs loves that. He loves strong side d men and he's a righty so that also works in his favour. Put in his dues at the AHL level too. Recipe to be good in Babcock's books
Hard to believe he is 20 by looking at him. Lilly even admitted yesterday he didn't play the way he is capable of. If he gets enough playing time, he is the best option from the depth defenceman. He also gives Babcock an extra penalty killer.

Jun 27, 2005
There are only to remaining issues with this team. Hymen and Babcock and they're probably related. If Hymen stays off of the top 2 lines when he returns, he's fine. As for Babcock, he'll always be a problem until he's gone.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
One cant help but notice that if theesfs can trade Ceci by Novemeber to coincide with the guys coming off ltir that it solves an awful lot of problems....

If Dubas was gonna do that, it sure would have made sense to give Ceci the max signing bonus to increase his trade value!!

Reactions: kb

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We need to be really patient with both Sandin and Lily as they are still developing and are bound to make mistakes - they still need time for grooming

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
if Sandin steps up and shows he can take top 4 minutes I'd do it easily, but that's a big thing to ask him to prove in a month's time. Ceci did show well in preseason so hopefully he can keep it up, but I'm not super optimistic
As long as Ceci is partnered with Morgan ,I think he does well! And if he fits then they look to signing him longer. I think he was in a tough situation in Ottawa. So far ,so good.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

News to me and opens up a whole new avenue of cap solutions for this season.
Reading further, apparently this is an indefinite solution for as long as the player is injured.

Reactions: TMLuniverse and kb

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
We should go all out on offence. Wave after wave of ozone pressure.

Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Mikheyev Kerfoot Kapanen
Korshkov Spezza Moore

Rielly Ceci
Muzzin Barrie
Sandin Liljegren

Andersen
Hutchinson

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It does, but creates another huge problem.

Reactions: biotk

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018
If Ceci's play is decent, I'd rather trade one of Johnsson / Kap for cap relief if need be. We have depths on wings when Hyman returns.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
If Ceci's play is decent, I'd rather trade one of Johnsson / Kap for cap relief if need be. We have depths on wings when Hyman returns.

You trade Hyman, not those guys.

The only dollars available next year to help re-sign Barrie, Muzzin, and Mikheylev currently reside in Hyman's contract, Ceci's contract, whatever the increase in the cap will be next year, and in the worst case scenario... Frederik Andersen. We no doubt will be transitioning to Woll and Scott in 2 years, but it may have to be in 1 year. Can't afford a legacy deal for an aging goaltender anyway, and certainly not with the way our cap is currently structured and not with the developing goaltender talent that's in the organization. It's the price you pay, but we may have to go with youth in goal a year earlier than planned in order to bolster the D. I think it's doable,,, Detroit won plenty of conference finals and cups without ever putting much money (or much talent) in net.

Reactions: hector morrison

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Well just checked the standings.

3ew2s9.jpg

don't know about the rest of you guys but a little panic is starting to grow in me. Technically, base don pt% leafs are not even in the 2nd wildcard position.

We gotta go on a long winning streak and some atlantic teams have to go on a long losing streak. No room for error or half assed effort anymore

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Well just checked the standings.

3ew2s9.jpg

don't know about the rest of you guys but a little panic is starting to grow in me. Technically, base don pt% leafs are not even in the 2nd wildcard position.

We gotta go on a long winning streak and some atlantic teams have to go on a long losing streak. No room for error or half assed effort anymore

Ummm... there are still 68 games to be played....

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Ummm... there are still 68 games to be played....

if by the american thanksgiving the teams are not in comfortable playoff position chances of them making the playoffs are very low.

also lets not forget that Florida and Sabres are better than last year. Montreal is also playing good hockey; Tampa will also gain traction one way or the other.

It ain't gonna be easy this season given the start we have had.

68 games to play yes; but same number of games to be played by the other teams too; we have to be better than them to have a shot at the playoffs.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
if by the american thanksgiving the teams are not in comfortable playoff position chances of them making the playoffs are very low.

also lets not forget that Florida and Sabres are better than last year. Montreal is also playing good hockey; Tampa will also gain traction one way or the other.

It ain't gonna be easy this season given the start we have had.

68 games to play yes; but same number of games to be played by the other teams too; we have to be better than them to have a shot at the playoffs.
That’s true man.
I get the feeling this team is either going to fail spectacularly or find a way to gel and then make a dent in the post season. This year just seems to give that feel imo.
But then again most likely they coast into the playoffs and lose first round again, that would probably be the safe bet.
Given this teams poor efforts against bottom feeders in the past there has to be a new work ethic developed or it’s gonna be curtains quickly.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
That’s true man.
I get the feeling this team is either going to fail spectacularly or find a way to gel and then make a dent in the post season. This year just seems to give that feel imo.
But then again most likely they coast into the playoffs and lose first round again, that would probably be the safe bet.
Given this teams poor efforts against bottom feeders in the past there has to be a new work ethic developed or it’s gonna be curtains quickly.

I had a feeling with Dubas bending over for the RFAs that we will have issues. I was flamed at when I posted in various threads.

Below is the one post I found of mine from July 27th outlining how it might be harder for the Leafs to make the playoffs this season compared to last season (of course Dubas effed up no denying that)

Kyle Dubas Part 3
I might get flamed for this but I think Leafs will have tough competition even making the playoffs this season.

Tampa
Boston
Sabres
Florida
(may be still time for them to make moves) Montreal

all in the Atlantic division I think are much stronger competition for the Leafs than last season.

Unless Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Kappy, Mango, Rielly all take a huge step forward I think relatively speaking the team might be a bit weaker compared to last season

I saw it coming when divisional rivals improved their rosters or maintained their already better rosters while Leafs are (and will when Hyman is back) struggling not only cap wise but also playoff position wise.

If we don't make the playoffs (or have another 1st round exit) this will be a colossal failure IMO from players stand point, coaching stand point but mostly things can be blamed on Dubas IMO

We gotta start playing well and start getting points. Divisional rivals are not going to just start losing; we are already behind the 8 ball in pts percentage compared to divisional rivals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad