OT: The Official 2019/2020 HS Hockey thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Some of the defensemen from Cathedral have some WHEELS. Definitely.

According to this, yes. Well, it goes 3rd place A, Championship A, 3rd place AA, Championship AA.
MSHSL - Hockey, Boys - 2020 State Boys Hockey - 2020 State Boys Hockey - Class AA

So does the third place A game start at like 8am on Saturday or what?

I'm asking because I am going to go down there with family and watch the A title game. Some sites only show a TBD A @ noon and TBD AA title game at 7pm. It doesn't make sense to me why they don't advertise the third place games??????

Cathedral and Hermantown should be in AA

Just because small schools get good for a short stretch, I don't know why so many people automatically think they need to be in AA?

I don't get it.

Small schools are small schools.

Now...privates that recruit (and I think that is going on all over) are a different discussion altogether.

Reactions: fentonsbrainchild

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Just because small schools get good for a short stretch, I don't know why so many people automatically think they need to be in AA?

I don't get it.

Small schools are small schools.

Now...privates that recruit (and I think that is going on all over) are a different discussion altogether.

I don't think it's been a short stretch for Hermantown, it's been for quite a few years. And the reason why people think they should be in AA is because they can compete at the AA level. They have wins against Wayzata and Hill Murray and ties against Benilde and Cretin just this year alone.

Reactions: TaLoN

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I don't think it's been a short stretch for Hermantown, it's been for quite a few years. And the reason why people think they should be in AA is because they can compete at the AA level. They have wins against Wayzata and Hill Murray and ties against Benilde and Cretin just this year alone.

Yes, Hermantown has been dominant for a while.

I don't think the people in charge have clear criteria for who stays and who goes.

My Johnson Governors as I stated - we didn't cut anyone from JV when I was there back in 1995 - the last year we made it to state. We were AA that year. Many years passed and someone lobbied the criteria should be for HOW MANY KIDS go out for said programs.

Just because a HS has 2000 kids, if only 25 kids are going out for their hockey program, in my book, by definition they belong in A.

Johnson DID get put in A not that long ago at all (five years ago or so). But it was a travesty they weren't put in A around when SSP was put in A. I can not every figure that one out.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So does the third place A game start at like 8am on Saturday or what?

I'm asking because I am going to go down there with family and watch the A title game. Some sites only show a TBD A @ noon and TBD AA title game at 7pm. It doesn't make sense to me why they don't advertise the third place games??????
The bracket and times are in the link I posted to the MSHSL website. The third place games are in there.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Similarly, if a small HS of how ever many hundreds has 100 kids going out for their hockey team, they probably should be in AA. I think Roseau is an example of a HS that should be in A but I believe chooses to be in AA (also because they and Warroad probably have backdoor agreement because they both don't want to face eachother section finals every year - dirty too)

The bracket and times are in the link I posted to the MSHSL website. The third place games are in there.
Wouldn't come in through my phone when I clicked it yesterday.

I see them now on my computer. Good call. They are clearly listed there. Question: If the third place game went 1995 Apple Valley/DE and went 5 OTs, would the TV time be all thrown out of whack? That would be fun.

Could have sworn when I was a kid they televised the 3rd place games. Personally I think it's sick that they don't show the 3rd place games in the "state of hockey". Versus what, some stupid sitcom re-runs? Pitiful.

Last edited by a moderator:

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Similarly, if a small HS of how ever many hundreds has 100 kids going out for their hockey team, they probably should be in AA. I think Roseau is an example of a HS that should be in A but I believe chooses to be in AA (also because they and Warroad probably have backdoor agreement because they both don't want to face eachother section finals every year - dirty too)

My original point on Hermantown and Cathedral was more around Hermantown's long lasting success and rumored move up. I also had heard the coach wanted to move to AA but the AD didn't want to. But private schools like Cathedral in single A are a different issue. The depth they are able to produce is so much different.. But I also agree it has been a short stretch so can't over-react. That team would compete fairly well with a lot of AA schools but probably not the top ones. Their enrollment is really half of Mankato East, you hit the nail on the head with the "recruiting" piece of it though.

Reactions: Northerner

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Wouldn't come in through my phone when I clicked it yesterday.

I see them now on my computer. Good call. They are clearly listed there. Question: If the third place game went 1995 Apple Valley/DE and went 5 OTs, would the TV time be all thrown out of whack? That would be fun.

Could have sworn when I was a kid they televised the 3rd place games. Personally I think it's sick that they don't show the 3rd place games in the "state of hockey". Versus what, some stupid sitcom re-runs? Pitiful.
3rd place games stopped being televised when it became a 2 class system. Prior to that, all games including the consolation game were televised.

Reactions: Northerner

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
3rd place games stopped being televised when it became a 2 class system. Prior to that, all games including the consolation game were televised.
If I had my way, every game would be televised.

Obviously, though, the games aren't a draw otherwise I reckon 45 would televise them all.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If I had my way, every game would be televised.

Obviously, though, the games aren't a draw otherwise I reckon 45 would televise them all.
They can't. There are games being played at the same time in the two class system. Hence the first day losers playing at an alternate location

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
My original point on Hermantown and Cathedral was more around Hermantown's long lasting success and rumored move up. I also had heard the coach wanted to move to AA but the AD didn't want to. But private schools like Cathedral in single A are a different issue. The depth they are able to produce is so much different.. But I also agree it has been a short stretch so can't over-react. That team would compete fairly well with a lot of AA schools but probably not the top ones. Their enrollment is really half of Mankato East, you hit the nail on the head with the "recruiting" piece of it though.

One way to deal with that is put any/all private schools in the AA. No exceptions. Even the weaker private schools go in.

We've kicked around having an all/only-private tournament but for various reasons that isn't going to happen.

They can't. There are games being played at the same time in the two class system. Hence the first day losers playing at an alternate location

Would definitely televise the 3rd place games though.

Reactions: StateofCelly

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
They're saying this might be the best A tournament field of all time. 6-7 teams could potentially win it...

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
They're saying this might be the best A tournament field of all time. 6-7 teams could potentially win it...

Not watching the games because of work, but who said that!?!?! Scores: 11-2; 7-1; 9-3; 5-2....Only the 5-2 game COULD have been questionable. Thus, at most, 5 teams could have won the Class A.

Or, did you mean AA?

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not watching the games because of work, but who said that!?!?! Scores: 11-2; 7-1; 9-3; 5-2....Only the 5-2 game COULD have been questionable. Thus, at most, 5 teams could have won the Class A.

Or, did you mean AA?
Yeah, the unseeded teams yesterday were clearly outmatched.

The 5-2 Mahtomedi won over Delano though was much closer than the final suggested. Was a tie game up until 3 mins left in the 3rd. The 4th and 5th seeds were pretty evenly matched.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Time for the annual Hermantown needs to move up to AA post.
I’ll never understand why people think small public schools should be in AA. I understand with private schools but I’ll never get why the small public schools “should” move up.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017

Or, did you mean AA?

Maybe I misheard them, or maybe the teams underperformed.

With that said, I know for a fact they said this could be the best 'A' tournament of all time. They did say that. I might have misheard that 6-7 teams could win it all.

That kid from Warroad looks like a proper player. I'm going to the championsihp game on Sat so I might be watching him up close.

I’ll never understand why people think small public schools should be in AA. I understand with private schools but I’ll never get why the small public schools “should” move up.

I am kind of the same way.

There is a lot of gamesmanship going on with all of it, though. Roseau should be in "small" schools, but they get to choose they want to be in the big schools.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

Hockey is different than other high school sports in that it shouldn't be about how many students attend the school. It should be about how many players that they have in their program (ie number of players trying out).

Hermantown has one of the strongest hockey programs in the state. From the youth up to high school. It's a joke that a program that strong plays in the weaker division, but a school like Irondale that can barely ice enough skaters to fill out a program should be forced to play at the higher level because they have a higher student enrollment. School demographics have to be figured into the equation.

I respect the hell out of schools like Roseau that could play A if they wanted, but choose to play at the AA level......same for STA.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Hockey is different than other high school sports in that it shouldn't be about how many students attend the school. It should be about how many players that they have in their program (ie number of players trying out).

Hermantown has one of the strongest hockey programs in the state. From the youth up to high school. It's a joke that a program that strong plays in the weaker division, but a school like Irondale that can barely ice enough skaters to fill out a program should be forced to play at the higher level because they have a higher student enrollment. School demographics have to be figured into the equation.

I respect the hell out of schools like Roseau that could play A if they wanted, but choose to play at the AA level......same for STA.

That's kind of what I said regarding Johnson. We barely have enough for JV on any given year.

Don't give Roseau more credit than they deserve - pretty sure I heard they just stay in big schools because they know that way they avoid Warroad every year.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
That's kind of what I said regarding Johnson. We barely have enough for JV on any given year.

Don't give Roseau more credit than they deserve - pretty sure I heard they just stay in big schools because they know that way they avoid Warroad every year.

Not sure why Roseau would want to avoid Warroad....they still play during the regular season and Roseau swept them this year. The only time they avoid each other is during the post season.

Reactions: carouselofgoalies
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad