OT: The Official 2019/2020 HS Hockey thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
This isn't super-new news, but since I don't remember seeing it posted here (and I guess this is the best spot for it?) :

Historic Minnesota hockey schools consolidate to form new team

They'll debut as the Rock Ridge Wolverines at a new school in 2022.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesot...a-hockey-schools-consolidate-to-form-new-team

82909220_2234379796857031_8126706224344334336_n.webp

Reactions: Northerner

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
The team Fox Sports is following this year, my Johnson Governors, are 15-4. Granted this isn't the same schedule we used to play when we last made it to State in AA (we used to have some WARS with the likes of Duluth East with Spehar, and Apple Valley and Edina back then), have to give them some credit considering they're literally working with two dozen kids every year.

Blayde Pogreba (Junior) has 24 goals so far this year and 11 helpers. I'll be surprised if he doesn't go D1 like his uncle.

We play SSP tonight.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
The team Fox Sports is following this year, my Johnson Governors, are 15-4. Granted this isn't the same schedule we used to play when we last made it to State in AA (we used to have some WARS with the likes of Duluth East with Spehar, and Apple Valley and Edina back then), have to give them some credit considering they're literally working with two dozen kids every year.

Blayde Pogreba (Junior) has 24 goals so far this year and 11 helpers. I'll be surprised if he doesn't go D1 like his uncle.

We play SSP tonight.

Just a phenomenal hockey name.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot

We play SSP tonight.

I saw that they were the "Dream. State." team this year, and I admit I had the knee-jerk thought of, "Wait... do they have enough kids in the school that even play hockey anymore?" :dunno:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I saw that they were the "Dream. State." team this year, and I admit I had the knee-jerk thought of, "Wait... do they have enough kids in the school that even play hockey anymore?" :dunno:
We didn't cut anyone from jv back in 1995 last year we went to State. 25 years later Moose has kept the program alive. I think he is recruiting some how. Not sure how.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Looks like winning that Section might be harder than winning State.

There's some other tough sections too for sure.

Hopefully my Govies can come through for FSN and Dream. State. and get back to the Big Dance for the first time in 25 years.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
I know its Class 1A but my Dodge County Wildcats have finally put together a really solid season. The girls squad has been really great for the past few years but it is fun to see the boys have a chance at making a run. Brody Lamb is one heck of a hockey player with a bright future beyond, might be a name to keep an eye on down the road. He has 46 goals this season which is the most in the state and has the ability to create for teammates. 66 total points rank 11th in the state. He has seven hat tricks and 39 points in the past nine games.

Last edited:

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Crazy you see STA and Duluth East are both 5 seeds and Edina a 4 in their sections. Long time since seeing other teams represented from those section.

I watched STA a lot this year. Having watched all teams in the section, they are the 2nd best team IMO. They ran into a hot Eastview goalie their first game of the season, where STA dominated the game, and it really hurt their section standings. They get plenty of scoring chances every game, and have competed with top teams, they just had a tough time putting it in the net the first half of the season.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I watched STA a lot this year. Having watched all teams in the section, they are the 2nd best team IMO. They ran into a hot Eastview goalie their first game of the season, where STA dominated the game, and it really hurt their section standings. They get plenty of scoring chances every game, and have competed with top teams, they just had a tough time putting it in the net the first half of the season.

Yeah I didn’t see them play (or anyone) so I’ll take your word for it. I think they play Eastview again so we’ll see how that goes.

Duluth East lost to Forest Lake in the quarters. I don’t have the means to look it all up but I wonder when the last time they didn’t get out of the quarters is.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
This isn't super-new news, but since I don't remember seeing it posted here (and I guess this is the best spot for it?) :

Historic Minnesota hockey schools consolidate to form new team

They'll debut as the Rock Ridge Wolverines at a new school in 2022.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesot...a-hockey-schools-consolidate-to-form-new-team

Saw this one. It seems to be controversial at least from my contacts up in the Range and from what I've seen on various social media sites. Telling people to just roll over and be supportive and not voice their actual opinions because it's been so hotly debated.

I guess all my gear is "retro" now. Can't stand the mascot, or the name if I'm honest, but I'll be hoping they can do something in the future.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I’m sure it is for those on the East side of St. Paul
My neighborhood has produced more DI and pro prospects than any other I am pretty sure. Represented on every US Olympic team from '60 to '80, also home of "America's Coach" Herb Brooks. Even a member of first women's Gold Medal team Alana Blahoski is from here.

I know Warroad. thinks they are, but have nothing on us. Evelyth should be in the convo though.

Last edited:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Anyone watch the girls? Man that Andover-Minnetonka game was nuts. Some of those girls can really play.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Good lord my Johnson Governors were the #2 seed in Section 4A and they got BEAT last night handily by the #7 seed. Just horrible. Horrible way to end the 'Dream. State.' for this season.

Though when I went to their game two weeks ago their best player had sustained a knee-on-knee hit so I believe he was still out. Only guaranteed DI prospect on their roster is probably too much of a loss to overcome. He'll be back next year - actually 7 or so seniors so next year they might be better.

Last edited:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Cake Eaters (boys AND girls) are out. Girls lost the title game the Giles' boys got knocked out in the semis.

Reactions: TaLoN

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Good lord my Johnson Governors were the #2 seed in Section 4A and they got BEAT last night handily by the #7 seed. Just horrible. Horrible way to end the 'Dream. State.' for this season.

Though when I went to their game two weeks ago their best player had sustained a knee-on-knee hit so I believe he was still out. Only guaranteed DI prospect on their roster is probably too much of a loss to overcome. He'll be back next year - actually 7 or so seniors so next year they might be better.

Dream State curse, man.

4 years of the program, zero state tournaments

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It was known to be a down year for the Edina boys. Of course, most of the best players on Blake are from...Edina.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Blake wins 4-3 in the shootout. I had horses on both sides so it was bittersweet, but regardless 6AA hockey is as good as it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->