OT: The Official 2019/2020 HS Hockey thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Eden Prairie has to be the favorite for AA. They added 3 D1 players to an already stacked team. Langenbrunner moved into the EP area from Cloquet, he's a Harvard commit. Ben Steeves from New Hampshire, who will play D1 wherever he wants and a North Dakota commit who transferred from Shattuck, Jackson Blake. Not sure if technically a transfer but he played for Shattuck last year and Bantams at Eden Prairie apparently.

High expectations from my pals over there.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
FSN is following my alma mater, JHS, this season. Herb Brooks' alma mater and countless quality players over the years. The team I don't believe is going to embarrass themselves - some decent talent on the team. They had a sophomore who scored 5 goals one game last season - his dad played Juniors and his uncle (Sean Pogreba) went to UMD and was a Mr. Hockey finalist in 1996. Couple other players with some potential.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
BHS: Blake ineligible, will explore options

Eden Prairie sophomore Jackson Blake is ineligible to play varsity hockey for the Eagles until Jan. 28, 2020.
The ruling from the Minnesota State High School League maintains that Blake did not enroll at Eden Prairie High School until the second semester after withdrawing from Shattuck-St. Mary's in December of 2018.
"Jackson wants to play hockey with the guys he grew up with," Jason said. "We will explore all options before we decide what's best."
Among those options is skating for the Eagles' junior varsity until he is eligible for varsity action.
The Chicago Steel hold Blake's USHL rights after drafting the forward in the second round of the USHL Phase I Draft last spring.
"If the powers that be in Minnesota would allow it, the Chicago Steel would certainly love to have an elite talent like Jackson Blake join us for some games during this period of time that he is ineligible," Steel General Manager Ryan Hardy said.
"We are heartbroken for him that he won't have a full season to experience playing with his friends and representing his community," Hardy continued. "As an organization, we always try and make decisions through the lens of the player. As such, we are committed to doing whatever is best for Jackson and his long-term development. We certainly don't believe that him playing JV for the next 7-8 weeks is it."

Bad ruling imo. Not like the kid is being a mercenary. He grew up playing EP youth hockey. His dad talked him into trying Shattuck, and he didn't like it and just wanted to go back to playing with his friends at EP.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Those are the rules. Commonly known and abided by. If they didn't have them, you'd have players jumping between privates and publics mid season, which would invite all sorts of recruiting violations.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Those are the rules. Commonly known and abided by. If they didn't have them, you'd have players jumping between privates and publics mid season, which would invite all sorts of recruiting violations.
He left the MSHSL and wanted to go back home. This isn't at all close to the scenario you describe as possible. Each case is different and should be treated as such. If it's obvious that someone is jumping to jump, then yes, don't allow it. If a kid is just going back home to the program he left, I don't see the point.

This is punishing a kid for being a kid.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He left the MSHSL and wanted to go back home. This isn't at all close to the scenario you describe as possible. Each case is different and should be treated as such. If it's obvious that someone is jumping to jump, then yes, don't allow it. If a kid is just going back home to the program he left, I don't see the point.

This is punishing a kid for being a kid.

I'd rather have set rules.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
No, make an exception for kids returning home. It's one thing if a kid is clearly trying to be a mercenary. That's what the rules are there to prevent. This clearly isn't that.
So, allow any high school player to try out for one of the higher end schools knowing that they can "return home" if they get cut? Yeah, that wouldn't lead to any trouble.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He’s a sophomore. He can sit 16 games and then play the next two and a half years with his friends.

Shouldn’t be a problem.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
57special jr. was courted by a private school for hockey/baseball before he started HS/Freshman yr. It was made very clear to us at the time that it was now or never to change schools, or he would have to forgo a year of eligibility to play Varsity. This is commonly known amongst athletes, especially at the big schools where athletes are often wooed by privates.

To grant a special exemption for this one person without any compelling reason why(i.e. death/injury of a parent resulting in financial hardship) would be the death knell for the rule such as it is. If Blake wants to play with his buddies he can always play JV, no?

Reactions: SupremeNachos

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Strange seeing Andover and Rosement in the top-3 (AA).

MN Boys' Hockey Hub | Rankings

I guess that "white flight" thing could have these sorts of programs on the up-and-up as the inner-city folks flee further and further outside of the immediate suburbs.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rosemont just has a strong class of athletes in that age group. Don't know the story with Andover.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Strange seeing Andover and Rosement in the top-3 (AA).

MN Boys' Hockey Hub | Rankings

I guess that "white flight" thing could have these sorts of programs on the up-and-up as the inner-city folks flee further and further outside of the immediate suburbs.
There are way to many tiers of suburbs these days. The big boys (Edina/Minnetonka/Woodbury) have priced themselves out of a lot of people looking to move from the cities. That and there is only so much space to go around. They are running out of farm plots to sell to developers in Woodbury so Cottage Grove has been taking a lot of the overflow with the same gigantic houses.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Some people want the 3 garage, 3000+ sq. ft, new homes that you find in Lakeville and the like. Others are fine with the old, musty single garages and more cramped spaces of the city, and older burbs.

Living in the city is all fun and games till you have kids. Then a different calculus kicks in. Schools, safety, services, parks, facilities, taxes....everyone has their own decisions to make. Being close to cutting edge restaurants, clubs, craft brewerys, and "the action" becomes less important.

Race may matter to some, but far less than the above(and other) factors, IMO.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
There are way to many tiers of suburbs these days. The big boys (Edina/Minnetonka/Woodbury) have priced themselves out of a lot of people looking to move from the cities. That and there is only so much space to go around. They are running out of farm plots to sell to developers in Woodbury so Cottage Grove has been taking a lot of the overflow with the same gigantic houses.

I think 50 years from now, North Branch, Forest Lake, are going to be powerhouses due to the flight thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->