The Official 2011 College/Junior/European Free Agent thread

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
What about Spencer Abbott from the University of Maine? I know he has one year left at Maine but somewhere on these boards I read that he may sign early.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
What about Spencer Abbott from the University of Maine? I know he has one year left at Maine but somewhere on these boards I read that he may sign early.

I can't find the article, but I know Dallas was tied to him somehow. I could be mistaken, but I think 3 teams were mentioned. I only remember Toronto and Dallas though.

GM Joe is a big NCAA fan, and Dallas in general drafts and goes hard after NCAA free agents.

EDIT: It wasn't an article. That *********** guy said it on Twitter. I don't know if he's a valid source or not for HF so take it how you want to.

EDIT: LOL ..... apparently Mr. Dave isn't a valid source because he doesn't even clear the filter.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Broc Little from Yale University.
yale_little_broc.jpg

Has been a great contributor at Yale from day one. Plays in all situations. Most important player on a stacked Yale team.

+Good offensive skills
+Great hands
+Accurate shot
+Strong skater and good speed
+Tenacious on forecheck
+Tough worker along the boards

-Nothing special defensively
-Tendency to cherry pick
-Small

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
hughesact10.jpg

George Hughes - #15 - Sophmore - 6'-2" - 180lbs - Shoots L - Age: 22 - Westwood, MA
St. Lawrence (ECAC) Defenseman

|TEAM|LEAGUE|GP|G|A|P|PIM
2008-09|Waterloo Black Hawks|USHL|47|4|16|20|12
2009-10|St. Lawrence University|ECAC|41|5|18|23|10
2010-11|St. Lawrence University|ECAC|24|3|10|13|8

Westwood skater off to fast start St. Lawrence sophomore defenseman George Hughes (right) of Westwood was named to the ECAC preseason all-star hockey team, and his play thus far has justified the selection.

“George is one of the best young defensemen in our league and in the East,’’ said St. Lawrence coach Joe Marsh, whose team was 6-8-3 overall (3-4 ECAC) and carried a three-game winning streak into this weekend’s games against Union and RPI.

“He is exceptionally skilled with the puck and has a great hockey sense as far as making the right play at the right time. He and [freshman] Justin Baker are our top defensive pairing and have similar styles. They are going to be out there a lot, which is a little unusual for two young guys who are early in their collegiate careers.’’

The 6-foot-2, 180-pound Hughes, whose father and uncle skated for the Harvard varsity, was a member of the ECAC All-Rookie team as a freshman when he finished with 5 goals and 18 assists in 41 games. He prepped at the Taft School in Connecticut before playing for the Waterloo Blackhawks of the United States Hockey League.
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2011/01/09/mount_ida_coachs_son_helps_team_to_victory/

St. Lawrence Bio for Hughes said:
2009-10: A member of the ECAC All Rookie Team, George Hughes was a big part of the Saint defensive success as a rookie and was a key contributor offensively as well. George played in 41 games as a rookie and scored five goals and assisted on 18 for 23 points. He finished fourth in the league and was the top freshman, in defenseman scoring and was tied for sixth among all rookies in scoring. He was selected to the ECAC Hockey pre-season All Star squad to start his sophomore year.

A defenseman for the Waterloo Blackhawks where he scored four goals and had 16 assists, George Hughes will be a candidate for a regular role on defense as a rookie. He played baseball and ran track at the Taft School in addition to playing hockey. He was captain of the Taft hockey team. A strong skater who can move the puck, Goerge's father was a standout at Harvard and his uncle also played for the Crimson.

ECAC Hockey said:
George Hughes was named the Mike Pelletier-Richie Stewart Rookie of the Year award winner.
http://www.ecachockey.com/men/members/st._lawrence/20101104_SaintsAnnualBanquet

This might be premature because I don't think he'd leave after this season, but he did attend Dallas' Development camp this summer.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
i dont think George will leave after this year, as his younger brother Gunnar just committed to St. Lawrence. i'm guessing they'll want to play together.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Andrej Statsny

Amazing skills... puckhandling, shot, size.. hes got it all.

As I understand it, Statsny is available in this year's draft. Radko Gudas went undrafted for two years while played in the Czech Republic, then played in the WHL last year, and was drafted as a 20 year old by Tampa.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
XOWFYOMAYHDIXDF.20101012203544.jpg

Jacob Cepis
F - #17
Senior - U of M
5'8" - 175
23 Years Old
Hometown - Parma, OH

Stats

Year Team League GP G A P PIM

2006-07 Cedar Rapids USHL 58 34 38 72 59
2007-08 Bowling Green CCHA 38 15 16 31 18
2008-09 Bowling Green CCHA 18 1 4 5 14
2009-10 U. of Minnesota WCHA 21 7 12 19 30
2010-11 U. of Minnesota WCHA 22 7 12 19 18

A great player. Works extremely hard, fast as hell. I think It would be worth a team signing him to an AHL team to see if he can develop into a servicable NHL'er which i think he can.

The Sabres had Cepis at Dev Camp a few years ago and he didn't look out of place. He's got speed to burn but not sure if that alone is going to make him into a much beyond a developmental level pro.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
dacosta4.jpg

Stephane Da Costa
F - #24
Sophomore - Merrimack College
Born - July 11, 1989
Shoots - L
5'11 / 180 LBS
Hometown - Paris, France

2010-11 - 18 GP - 10-13-23 (5th in Hockey East in points)
2009-10 - 34 GP - 16-29-45 (4th in Hockey East in points / 8th nationally)

-2009-10 NCAA Rookie of the Year
-2009-10 Hockey East Rookie of the Year
-2009-10 USCHO Rookie of the Year
-2009-10 Led all rookies in scoring
-2009-10 Hockey East All-Academic Team
-Represented Team France at IIHF World Championships
-Attended Anaheim's Rookie Camp in July

Short video piece on NESN on Da Costa... some high praise indeed.

I'm really interested to see where this kid signs. He now has 13 goals and 23 assists in 26 games to lead Merrimack who have done really well this year. That's NCAA top 15 in league scoring which is pretty steady.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for some of the college players and older europeans who are drawing attention for signing a contract as a UFA at the end of the season. Who are the ones with a good chance of sticking in the NHL in the next two years?

Thanks

There has already been several good names thrown out such as UNH's Paul Thompson and Miami's Andy Miele and Carter Camper.

Here are a few more that haven't been mentioned that are getting pro interest (to varying degrees):

Adam Presizniuk and Keith Kincaid, Union College - The Dutchmen have been one of the best teams in the country for much of the year, in part because of these two players. Presizniuk is a power forward (though a bit smaller at around 6'0/6'1) with a bomb of a shot. He missed some time earlier in the year due to injury. HE's averaging almost a point per game (23 points in 24 games to date).

Kincaid has been an absolute rock in goal for Union this year. He's got size (about 6'3/190 lbs.), good composure and plays with a ton of confidence. His GAA (2.00) and save % (.920) both rank in the top 20 nationally. He sports a 19-7-2 record with 2 SOs and a .714 winning %.

Denny Urban, Robert Morris University - This guy has been one of my favorite players since he arrived at RMU four years ago, and sadly doesn't get as much recognition as he deserves. He currently ranks 2nd in the nation in defenseman scoring (behind Wisconsin's Justin Schultz) with 35 points 8G, 27A). He has great hands, moves well with the puck and can make some of the prettiest passes around. The only knock on him is he small (about 5'10).

Tyler Fedun, Princeton - Fedun is just solid all-around. He leads the Tigers in defensemen scoring with 18 points (8G, 10A), but where he's been terrific has been on Princeton's PP, where 5 of his 8 goals have been scored. He has good size (about 6'2/210ish), great in all three zones, nice hands, and can lay out some punishing hits. He's not fancy, just a lunch pail type of defenseman who can get the job done.

Camreon Schilling, Miami - He's only a junior, but he's made his presence known on Miami's blueline - literally! He's primarily a defensive defenseman, but he can lay some punishing hits on the opposition - just ask some of the Michigan players. He's got size (6'2, around 185-190), skates well and is rock solid in his own end.

Matt Read, Bemidji State - Since BSU's Frozen Four appearance two years ago, Read has gone along just fine - in fact, he's better. He's small (5'10/185), but he's very quick. Looks like a little whippet out there. He's got great finishing ability and he's a tough player to contain because he of his quickness. He sees the ice really well too. He leads BSU with 15 goals - about half of which have come on special teams (six on PP, two SH).

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
There has already been several good names thrown out such as UNH's Paul Thompson and Miami's Andy Miele and Carter Camper.

Here are a few more that haven't been mentioned that are getting pro interest (to varying degrees):

Adam Presizniuk and Keith Kincaid, Union College - The Dutchmen have been one of the best teams in the country for much of the year, in part because of these two players. Presizniuk is a power forward (though a bit smaller at around 6'0/6'1) with a bomb of a shot. He missed some time earlier in the year due to injury. HE's averaging almost a point per game (23 points in 24 games to date).

Kincaid has been an absolute rock in goal for Union this year. He's got size (about 6'3/190 lbs.), good composure and plays with a ton of confidence. His GAA (2.00) and save % (.920) both rank in the top 20 nationally. He sports a 19-7-2 record with 2 SOs and a .714 winning %.

Denny Urban, Robert Morris University - This guy has been one of my favorite players since he arrived at RMU four years ago, and sadly doesn't get as much recognition as he deserves. He currently ranks 2nd in the nation in defenseman scoring (behind Wisconsin's Justin Schultz) with 35 points 8G, 27A). He has great hands, moves well with the puck and can make some of the prettiest passes around. The only knock on him is he small (about 5'10).

Tyler Fedun, Princeton - Fedun is just solid all-around. He leads the Tigers in defensemen scoring with 18 points (8G, 10A), but where he's been terrific has been on Princeton's PP, where 5 of his 8 goals have been scored. He has good size (about 6'2/210ish), great in all three zones, nice hands, and can lay out some punishing hits. He's not fancy, just a lunch pail type of defenseman who can get the job done.

Camreon Schilling, Miami - He's only a junior, but he's made his presence known on Miami's blueline - literally! He's primarily a defensive defenseman, but he can lay some punishing hits on the opposition - just ask some of the Michigan players. He's got size (6'2, around 185-190), skates well and is rock solid in his own end.

Matt Read, Bemidji State - Since BSU's Frozen Four appearance two years ago, Read has gone along just fine - in fact, he's better. He's small (5'10/185), but he's very quick. Looks like a little whippet out there. He's got great finishing ability and he's a tough player to contain because he of his quickness. He sees the ice really well too. He leads BSU with 15 goals - about half of which have come on special teams (six on PP, two SH).

Out of the 6, who do you think will be most highly regarded by an NHL team?

CamDegs13

Nose Face Killah
Feb 9, 2007
UMass
twitter.com
Potentially catastrophic news...

MikeMcMahonET Mike McMahon
Potential costly victory. Merrimack beats UNH 4-2 going to 6th in the country in the PWR but Da Costa goes down with a knee injury in 3rd

Da Costa went knee-to-knee with UNH's Phil DeSimone at center ice.

Training staff will wait to check on Da Costa in the morning. Swelling has to come down before a diagnosis will be known

Doesn't only hurt Merrimack. Da Costa was being pursued by 15-20 NHL teams, including the Bruins.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
What are the chances any of these guys sign?

BROC LITTLE W
ANDY MIELE W
CARTER CAMPER W
JUSTIN FONTAINE C
PAUL THOMPSON W
CHASE POLACEK C
SEAN HUNWICK G

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Now that Da Costa won't be signed can we determine the big three from this years crop?
Last year Bobby Butler was the big prize snatched by the Senators and before that Bozak. Any thoughts on a clear number one?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Now that Da Costa won't be signed can we determine the big three from this years crop?
Last year Bobby Butler was the big prize snatched by the Senators and before that Bozak. Any thoughts on a clear number one?

Why wouldnt Da Costa be signed?

According to reports his knee injury isn't season ending. And even if it was, teams would still try and sign him.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
Why wouldnt Da Costa be signed?

According to reports his knee injury isn't season ending. And even if it was, teams would still try and sign him.

Saw a twitter post by a legit source that he is staying for another year, can't find it right now though

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Saw a twitter post by a legit source that he is staying for another year, can't find it right now though

Neither can I and motivated by your post, I've had a jolly good look around. Twitter is not the best of sources at the best of times and frankly, without wishing to tell the kid what's what, he's got a great chance to get a terrific contract if he signs this year. It' not impossible but I'd be surprised if he didn't sign....

I can't find anything.

I did find this on Russo's page though, so you can add Minny to the mix:

Fletcher said the bigger concern is making the playoffs. The Wild's added several college, junior and European free agents in the past two years, and that should continue this spring and summer. For instance, the Wild's expected to aggressively pursue Merrimack sophomore Stephane Da Costa when his college season ends.

Too much interest not to sign, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad