The Official 2011 College/Junior/European Free Agent thread

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
College UFAs

Anyone have any early insight on who some of the more closely scouted college UFAs will be this year? I know most years those players don't come to the forefront until midway into the season but curious what names to watch.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Anyone have any early insight on who some of the more closely scouted college UFAs will be this year? I know most years those players don't come to the forefront until midway into the season but curious what names to watch.

Stephane Da Costa Merrimack? I think he fits that description.

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009
Stephane Da Costa Merrimack? I think he fits that description.

I have said it before on this board and I will say it again: I would love for our GM to sign this kid. He has amazing offensive talent and isn't a slouch in his own end. If he were from Small-Town, Saskatchewan he would have been signed already.

Does anyone know if he plans on going back to Merrimack?

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Former WCHA Defensive player of the year Chay Genoway. He is coming back for his 5th season after a medical red-shirt, after turning down multiple contract offers after his junior year. Is an early favorite for the Hobey Baker award, and arguably the most dynamic offensive threat from the blue line in college hockey.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Yale - Broc Little, Andrew Miller
Maine - Bryan Flynn, Marc Nemec
BC - Brian Gibbons
Vermont - Kevan Miller, Sebastian Stalberg
UNH - Mike Sislo, Paul Thompson
North Dakota - Chay Genoway
Colorado College - Gabe Guentzel
Michigan Tech - Brett Olson
Minnesota - Jacob Cepis
MinnDuluth - Jack and Mike Connelly, Justin Fontaine
Minnesota State - Ben Youds
St. Cloud - Jared Festler
Alaska Fairbanks - Andy Taranto
Ferris State - Pat Nagle
Lake Superior - Rick Schofield
Miami - Pat Cannone, Cody Reichard
Michigan State - Andrew Rowe
Nebraska - John Faulkner
Northern Michigan - Justin Florek
Notre Dame - Calle Ridderwall
Ohio State - Peter Boyd
Western Michigan - Matt Tennyson

not sure if any of these signed but here's some Fresh/Soph/Juniors that are undrafted and have some promise

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
From the list above Stephane Da costa and Calle Ridderwall look like two most interesting guys from this year crop.

Taranto aswell.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Yale - Broc Little, Andrew Miller
Maine - Bryan Flynn, Marc Nemec
BC - Brian Gibbons
Vermont - Kevan Miller, Sebastian Stalberg
UNH - Mike Sislo, Paul Thompson
North Dakota - Chay Genoway
Colorado College - Gabe Guentzel
Michigan Tech - Brett Olson
Minnesota - Jacob Cepis
MinnDuluth - Jack and Mike Connelly, Justin Fontaine
Minnesota State - Ben Youds
St. Cloud - Jared Festler
Alaska Fairbanks - Andy Taranto
Ferris State - Pat Nagle
Lake Superior - Rick Schofield
Miami - Pat Cannone, Cody Reichard
Michigan State - Andrew Rowe
Nebraska - John Faulkner
Northern Michigan - Justin Florek
Notre Dame - Calle Ridderwall
Ohio State - Peter Boyd
Western Michigan - Matt Tennyson

not sure if any of these signed but here's some Fresh/Soph/Juniors that are undrafted and have some promise

Florek was drafted by Boston in June.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Andrew Rowe has already been signed by the Flyers.

I think Fontaine's one that hasn't been singled out yet to keep an eye on. It also will be very interesting to see what happens with Cody Reichard, after he was #1A all of last season, only to be lifted for #1B Connor Knapp in the tournament.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think Fontaine's one that hasn't been singled out yet to keep an eye on. It also will be very interesting to see what happens with Cody Reichard, after he was #1A all of last season, only to be lifted for #1B Connor Knapp in the tournament.

Fontaine is the one I like the most, along with Genoway and Ben Youds.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
Besides Jared Festler from St. Cloud State, other potentials include Drew LeBlanc and David Eddy. LeBlanc tried out but didn't make the WJC team at some point, plus he's got NHL size. Festler has incredible hands and puck control, but he's simply too frail for the NHL. Eddy is one tough son-of-a-gun and has the potential to put up Garrett Roe type numbers... as long as he stays academically eligible.

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
If Genoway is 100%, he should get tons of interest. He has hockey IQ like no other blue liner I personally have seen.
I guess we will all know soon, after he gets some conditioning and flow back at the beginning of the season

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Has anyone in the know got anything to add to this thread now we're a reasonable turn into the season?

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
Genoway looks like his old self, which is good for the Sioux and bad for whoever they are playing. Another one from UND is Jake Marto, a good puck moving defenseman.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
The 2011 Free Agent NCAA Crop

Who should we be looking out for this year as the new coveted players? In recent years Bozak has been signed by the Leafs and has been a jem out of the blue.Dustin Penner came out to be effective for the Ducks and participate in a Stanley Cup win. Last year Sens signed Bobby Butler who is tearing up the AHL leading in goals. Who is this years crop?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->