The Office of Strategic Planning - Tank Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kaprizov's also a much more credible shooting threat than Granlund is. One of the reasons Granny had to pull off those ridiculous cross-ice saucer passes was because the goalie didn't need to respect him very much. Kaprizov's a different story.

That’s kinda my point. Better players lead to more offense, but if anyone thinks Kaprizov is going to significantly increase the goal totals of guys around him, namely Dumba, they’re probably going to be disappointed.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not sure how anyone could look at this team and think that we’re going to pick 12-14. Outside of a 6 week stretch where we were shooting well above a maintainable rate, we’ve been the 2nd worst team in the league. Our goaltending is bottom 3 in the entire league and our forwards are middle ground, at best. We simply aren’t a good team, and we win games by outworking teams. If a team isn’t willing to push back against us, we’ll walk all over them (see Dallas), but as the points get more and more important, that starts to happen less. Like I said, 7-9th is where I see us picking. If we trade Zucker and Brodin, maybe we win 6 of the last 20 and make a push for top 5. I think losing Brodin would be the biggest blow in terms of expected wins lost.
Finish 9th. Get jumped by 3 teams. Draft 12th.

The Aristocrats!

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That’s kinda my point. Better players lead to more offense, but if anyone thinks Kaprizov is going to significantly increase the goal totals of guys around him, namely Dumba, they’re probably going to be disappointed.
Maybe, though I do think a more potent and competent powerplay is likely to benefit Dumba more than almost anyone else on the team.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Maybe, though I do think a more potent and competent powerplay is likely to benefit Dumba more than almost anyone else on the team.

Maybe. But if Kaprizov is running the PP it might benefit the point man and the net front guy more.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not sure how anyone could look at this team and think that we’re going to pick 12-14.

Because as it stands; Detroit, Los Angeles, New Jersey, Ottawa, San Jose and Anaheim are arguably worse. That's 6 teams right there. Minnesota is stuck in a mix of teams with the Rangers, Montreal, Buffalo, Nashville, Chicago, Winnipeg and outside shot of Arizona. They aren't terrible, and have finally settled on mediocre. Not bad, not good. I can see Rangers, Montreal, Buffalo, Nashville, and Chicago having a sell off - and if Chicago trades one of their goaltenders...

It's not necessarily that the team isn't bad to draft in the top 5-8, it's that there are worse teams out there.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Dumba is the only real shooting threat on the PP, so the defense cheats towards him. Get better players on the PP, it affects how the opposition positions themselves, creating more lanes for other shooters.

The defense loses their ability to cheat.

A better overall power play is nothing but a benefit to our best power play player.
Exactly my point!

Apr 4, 2015
Minneapolis
Picking 7-9, if Lundell is still there, and Rossi and Byfield are gone, along with Lafreniere, Drysdale, Stutzle and Raymond, I'm looking heavily at Lundell. Even if Holtz/Raymond are still there, Lundell is not a bad pick, especially for a team that needs any kind of top center prospects approximately yesterday.

Detroit: Lafreniere
LA: Byfield
NJ: Drysdale
Ottawa: Stutzle
Anaheim: Raymond
Ottawa: Rossi
Minnesota: Lundell, Holtz, Perfetti, Askarov

Give me Lundell all day there. I know you sacrifice some upside, potentially, but if Lundell can hit his ceiling as a 75-85 point 2-way C, that's massive for the rebuild.
In that scenario it’s hard to go wrong with Lundell, Holtz, or Perfetti. I think all will be top liners in the NHL. I’d personally go with Holtz though. Thank God this class is so stacked.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Vegas had 2 scouts at the game last night

Realistically looking at this, assuming they're looking at some combination of Brodin, Dumba and Zucker.

For Dumba it would have to be Glass. I don't care that Glass in theory has more value or that teams don't do those kind of moves. If we trade Dumba to Vegas (and they need right handed defensemen) and Glass isn't the return I'll be extremely disappointed.

For Brodin and Zucker though, they have Krebs, Dorofeyev and Ivan Morozov who have all shown varying degrees of skill and ability. I would imagine any package would have to include one of them. I think we all have one preference of the threem but who's to say if Vegas is interested in trading that player.

Outside of those four guys, I don't see what Vegas has to offer that would really be of any interest. Unless they're trying to make a swap of wings, something like Tuch for Zucker? Would anyone do Tuch for Zucker here?

Fiala-Staal-Zuccarello
Kaprizov-Ek-Tuch
Parise-Rask-Kunin
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman

It doesn't do anything to alleviate the pressure at the wings, but it does give us a young, right handed RW with real 50-60 point potential. For the people who don't want to trade for a futures package, it might be an appealing return for Zucker.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
A) Three of Minnesota's former front office team is working in the NHL still.

B) That's a lot of former players.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I didn't know Tom Younghans was a scout for the Blackhawks. He was one of my favorite North Stars back in the day.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Fiala-Staal-Zuccarello
Kaprizov-Ek-Tuch
Parise-Rask-Kunin
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman
I’m partially to blame for this because I’ve predicted it as well, but if BB is the coach next year there’s no chance Parise is on the third line and/or behind Fiala.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’m partially to blame for this because I’ve predicted it as well, but if BB is the coach next year there’s no chance Parise is on the third line and/or behind Fiala.
I’m really, really hoping BB isn’t here next season.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
I’m really, really hoping BB isn’t here next season.

Who would you like to see replace him? If and I mean a big IF BB were to be fired I'd like to see Gallant as his replacement, I like BB though.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Realistically looking at this, assuming they're looking at some combination of Brodin, Dumba and Zucker.

For Dumba it would have to be Glass. I don't care that Glass in theory has more value or that teams don't do those kind of moves. If we trade Dumba to Vegas (and they need right handed defensemen) and Glass isn't the return I'll be extremely disappointed.

For Brodin and Zucker though, they have Krebs, Dorofeyev and Ivan Morozov who have all shown varying degrees of skill and ability. I would imagine any package would have to include one of them. I think we all have one preference of the threem but who's to say if Vegas is interested in trading that player.

Outside of those four guys, I don't see what Vegas has to offer that would really be of any interest. Unless they're trying to make a swap of wings, something like Tuch for Zucker? Would anyone do Tuch for Zucker here?

Fiala-Staal-Zuccarello
Kaprizov-Ek-Tuch
Parise-Rask-Kunin
Foligno-Sturm-Hartman

It doesn't do anything to alleviate the pressure at the wings, but it does give us a young, right handed RW with real 50-60 point potential. For the people who don't want to trade for a futures package, it might be an appealing return for Zucker.
The thing that interests me about Tuch is his contract could be an absolute steal if he gets back to form. Krebs is obviously interesting and would be an ideal piece as well, just not for Dumba. Like you said, for Dumba it’s gotta be glass. I’d rather bet on Dumba getting back to 1RD form than some C prosect turning into the top 6 C we need them to be.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm fine BB, but is BB fine with us? He is not young, and you would think that he would like to be on a contender, not a tanker.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Who would you like to see replace him? If and I mean a big IF BB were to be fired I'd like to see Gallant as his replacement, I like BB though.

Gallant is also my guy right now, but it depends on who’s available this summer too.

The thing that interests me about Tuch is his contract could be an absolute steal if he gets back to form. Krebs is obviously interesting and would be an ideal piece as well, just not for Dumba. Like you said, for Dumba it’s gotta be glass. I’d rather bet on Dumba getting back to 1RD form than some C prosect turning into the top 6 C we need them to be.

I generally agree, but there are a select few prospects I’d move Dumba for, and Glass is one of them. From what I can tell, he’s more bulletproof than a 3rd rounder even.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Gallant is also my guy right now, but it depends on who’s available this summer too.

I generally agree, but there are a select few prospects I’d move Dumba for, and Glass is one of them. From what I can tell, he’s more bulletproof than a 3rd rounder even.
Impossible

By “some C prospect” I didn’t mean glass. He’s a top 10 pick that’s checked all the boxes so far coming. I just meant I wouldn’t move Dumba for a Krebs, R.Suzuki, etc.

Reactions: AKL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad