The Office of Strategic Planning - Tank Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
The ones who understand that it's pretty tough to win unless you have at least one "super star", and that most super stars are drafted high in the 1st round.

Tell Edmonton fans about this. Tank strategies are brutal on paying fans. After several years of tanking the Oilers are still struggling even after they finally got their "superstar". No thanks for this STH. Tanking isn't a sure bet.

Reactions: Chokey McChokerston

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Tell Edmonton fans about this. Tank strategies are brutal on paying fans. After several years of tanking the Oilers are still struggling even after they finally got their "superstar". No thanks for this STH. Tanking isn't a sure bet.
If your point is that horrible management can ruin any franchise, then congrats on that.

If your point is tanking isn't a good strategy because it can be thwarted by horrible management, then there is no such thing as a good strategy.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
boston did it right; the leafs rebuilding since 1967 wrong. mgmt has to make some changes to improve the team , sometimes that means taking a step back. if i were gm i'd try & trade dubnyk maybe withhold 1.5 mill if we'd receive a a 2nd. hartman for a 3rd (replace w/ mayhew); pateryn for a 3rd (replace w/ mennell) ; koivu or staal (not both) for a late 1st. probably buyout rask this summer if untradeable. would still try for gusev & bracco if bracco was available cheap.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
"Tanking" probably gets used too much, a lot of times when it shouldn't. Smart asset management can result in losses, but still isn't necessarily "tanking".

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis

I don’t think anyone here has advocated for a 3-4 year stretch of sucking but if losing most of the rest of this years games results in a good shot at Lafreniere then yes please, do that. In typical Wild fashion, there is no way we will be that lucky but this is the type of “tank” most are discussing.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
I don't think you agree to a 7 year contract extension and then go cup chasing before that contract even goes into effect.
I think at his age you want to get paid, and have some level of protection. Doesn't mean you want to be on a team rebuilding at his age.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Or......tell it to Pittsburg who built a dynasty from it.
Who were in cahoots with the league to get Crosby and Malkin? If you're going to tank you do it in a year with a legit franchise player. Look at how many times Buff and Edm tanked and got the 1-3 pick and how far they have progressed.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
You don’t need to tank to build a good team. Management groups who draftwell and manage their assets well will always build good teams. I just think given our situation, getting as high a draft pick as possible this year would be optimal given the quality of team and the quality of the draft.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Pens sneaking in via the Wild Card to get bounced round 1
Buffalo leap frogging us in the standings

Very cool

SJ and NYR also tied, very nice

NSH beating the BJs right now, neat

Arizona beating the Lightning, peachy

Montreal beating Ottawa, radical

Tank is going well

Carolina and Toronto is a funny situation, Carolina winning would knock Columbus out of the playoffs, not Toronto, even though both CBJ and CAR would have more points than Toronto.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Would rather have 2021 lottery pick than 2020 non lottery. Regardless they’re not missing the playoffs

They'd have to miss again next year for it to be a lottery pick though. And this years draft is better.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Blue Jackets tied it up with 5 left in the second though, which is pretty disrespectful
Montreal should hang on though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->