The Office of Strategic Planning - Tank Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I just can't shake the feeling that Dumba still has that elite player in him somewhere. I remember how pumped I was to have a player like him. Take a look at some of these games over his season last year. Incredible

Reactions: TaLoN

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
The situation forced us to trade Burns or Koivu. A decision had to be made, but trading Burns should've been avoided... but DR sank that ship before Fletcher got here.

Fletcher had to make a choice... center or defense... hard to win without quality centermen, but offensive defensemen can be looked at as a luxury at times.

We sold high on Burns... sure, but his value wasn't highest. I told Sharks fans who were asking about him that they were getting a future Norris winner... that's what we traded away... we didn't get that value in return.

Ultimately, we got what has now amounted to Donato in return for Burns, and he doesn't fit this roster anywhere.

I don't want the same to happen with Dumba.

But we have to stop trying to lock up everyone with a hockey pulse too.

Brodin is awesome, but he's not cold a franchise around awesome. Move him while the moving is good!
why exactly did we have to trade one of them? I'm not overly familiar with the situation as I was a bit younger

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
why exactly did we have to trade one of them? I'm not overly familiar with the situation as I was a bit younger
We were in cap hell... Burns was due a significant raise we couldn't afford if we kept Koivu.

So we traded Burns... then over the next year cleared more cap too... then made a run at Zach and Suter.

It all came down to crappy Cap management by DR.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's a mod, he has to monitor the thread anyway... reading threads, you're bound to find posts to respond to within the discussion at hand. ;)

It was a joke about trading Drysdale for Johansen leading to a big tank because that's a bad move.

It's okay to joke here because it's not about Eriksson Ek.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I mostly meant that worrying about position is tricky at the top of the draft. Nashville was loaded with defense but I'm guessing they didn't regret taking Jones. They may regret trading him for the center they wanted.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It's okay to joke here because it's not about Eriksson Ek.
Remember, my jokes earlier weren't about Ek, one was about a Swedish translation and the other was about Kunin getting a hat trick in your worst possible case scenario. ;)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The West isn't particularly strong this year, but as it stands I don't see Los Angeles, Anaheim or San Jose (Ottawa) improving. You have two dark horses in Nashville and Chicago and I can see Nashville throwing it in and trying again next season with a new coach. There is always a chance that Winnipeg might slip, but I don't see it.

As for the East, Detroit, New Jersey and Ottawa are all out. And then you have teams like New York, Montreal and Buffalo. Buffalo is the most enigmatic of the teams, but I don't see them taking a run.

As it stands:

Detroit
Los Angeles
New Jersey
Ottawa
Anaheim
San Jose
New York Rangers
Montreal
Buffalo
Chicago
Nashville
Minnesota

could be the worst case scenario for Minnesota, where we select 12 and we 'tank'. It'll be clearer come the trade deadline, but I can foresee Minnesota tanking, but still picking 12th, simply because of how awful other teams are.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
after reading 3 pages, I agree Zucker and Brodin need to be traded before this TDL then Dumba if a top 6 C is in play this off season. once Zucker and Brodin get traded you put Fiala - Ek - Kunin together and let them flourish. Donato - Staal - Zucc so Zucc can set up Donatos shot, Parise- Koivu - Greenway to enjoy the 3rd line grind.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The point is to trade older, valued players for younger prospects or picks that may turn into soemthing really good. Talk here seems to be about trading younger players with value for,prospect that may turn out to be something good. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
If BG really wants to impress me, he'll figure out a way to move Zuccarello, and maybe one more of our NMC's. Trading Brodin for the mediocre returns I am hearing seems dumb.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The point is to trade older, valued players for younger prospects or picks that may turn into soemthing really good. Talk here seems to be about trading younger players with value for,prospect that may turn out to be something good. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
If BG really wants to impress me, he'll figure out a way to move Zuccarello, and maybe one more of our NMC's. Trading Brodin for the mediocre returns I am hearing seems dumb.
Talk turns to guys like Zucker and Brodin because they are the older, valued players when you set aside the guys with NMCs. Neither is ancient, but Zucker's on what is effectively a UFA contract and Brodin's 1.5 years away from getting his. That's a point at which a team has to decide whether or not the player is worth committing term and money to, or if they should be leveraged in a trade.

They just made this decision with Spurgeon a few months ago, and it's going to have a direct bearing on trading one of Brodin or Dumba at some point. I'm not a gambler, but I would bet a good chunk of money on one of them being gone by next summer.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If we trade Brodin and Seeler/Soucy doesn't really progress (Soucy is having a pretty good year, but he could regress), we don't have a lot of left defense depth. Outside of Soucy, who exactly does the Wild have in the minors that could be considered depth?

As for players, I'd be impressed as hell if Guerin could convince Koivu to waive his NMC and trade Koivu. A lot of teams are looking for center depth. I'd be definitely be looking at a team like New York Isles or even Boston to move Koivu.

As for young centers that Minnesota could be targeting, there doesn't seem to be a realistic match at the moment. We are trading for potential more than established and that can be extremely dangerous.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I just can't shake the feeling that Dumba still has that elite player in him somewhere. I remember how pumped I was to have a player like him. Take a look at some of these games over his season last year. Incredible

Seems like a lot of those goals were set up by the same guy, Granlund. That was a nice power play combo for sure, Granlund to Dumba for the 1 timer.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Just looking at the drafts from 2013 to 2015, where we can see pretty clearly who found gold outside the top 5 picks:
2013:
Horvat 9th overall
Monahan 6
Domi 12
2014:
Pasternak 25
Larkin 15
Point 79
Nylander 8
2015:
Rantanen 10
Aho 35
Barzal 16

A good tank can help the odds, but isn't entirely necessary if you draft well - having all your picks helps the odds too.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I mean that would impress us all, the reason we’re not mentioning it is due to the fact that it’s >95% that none of the guys waive

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
If BG really wants to impress me, he'll figure out a way to move Zuccarello, and maybe one more of our NMC's.

Give it a break please. Guerin will not approach these players, it has to do with respect. They have to come to him if they want to leave. And in Zuccarello's case he'll stay. He just bought a property here, so he's not going anywhere no matter what happens to the team.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Give it a break please. Guerin will not approach these players, it has to do with respect. They have to come to him if they want to leave. And in Zuccarello's case he'll stay. He just bought a property here, so he's not going anywhere no matter what happens to the team.
He’ll get bought-out in a couple years would be my guess

Reactions: TaLoN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->