OT: The Off-Topic Thread XX: La fiesta española

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sorry. I didn't see you (which what the truck driver claims). LOL.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was talking about the cold with someone the other day and the remark was, "Ugh, Calgary has this every year and it sucks." I had to make a correction. Calgary has 1-2 weeks of like -25 to like -30 ish weather and most of those temps are in the evening with the day in the mid to high -20s. That's annoying but bearable if you don't dress like an idiot.

This snap is in general a sustained -33 or lower with a bunch of -39C windchill days/nights. That's fricken ridiculous. Winters are failing, black ice up the wazoo as salt won't work, cars fail much easier in these sustained temps, crazy accumulation of ice on windows and doors.... bleh.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
AMA estimates 72 hours to boost my car. Called in a favour and had it done in 15 minutes.

Why do I pay them again?

PEACE OF MIND.

Never had AMA. I had to boost my vehicle the other day, but I keep a battery booster in the trunk during winter so it ended up not being a big deal.

I think the rough weather has made my alternator kaput though, fun.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
AMA estimates 72 hours to boost my car. Called in a favour and had it done in 15 minutes.

Why do I pay them again?

Because they're super useful and worth the membership multiple times over for reasons other than battery boosting?

I keep a USB battery jumper in my vehicle too. But in this weather, you have to consider taking the bank indoors with you and charging it regularly. Otherwise, if the bank is too cold, it'll either discharge until the power level is too low to work or it'll be too cold to actually jump the battery.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Thank god I don’t drive (regularly). I’d hate having to deal with a car over the winter.

Actually, I'd rather be in my own car swearing at traffic rather than re-experiencing Calgary transit go from 35 minutes to destination to 4:45 to destination. Heck, I could have walked a ton of those transfer legs faster than waiting for an actual bus or train to come.

Pros and cons.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Actually, I'd rather be in my own car swearing at traffic rather than re-experiencing Calgary transit go from 35 minutes to destination to 4:45 to destination. Heck, I could have walked a ton of those transfer legs faster than waiting for an actual bus or train to come.

Pros and cons.

Remembers post from yesterday...

You definitely have to weigh out the options, though I usually haven’t had bad experiences with transit going back almost 15 years now (when I started taking it). The first couple days of snow/cold weather are usually terrible as the city adjusts however.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Because they're super useful and worth the membership multiple times over for reasons other than battery boosting?

I keep a USB battery jumper in my vehicle too. But in this weather, you have to consider taking the bank indoors with you and charging it regularly. Otherwise, if the bank is too cold, it'll either discharge until the power level is too low to work or it'll be too cold to actually jump the battery.
Yeah I know, I was just perturbed at the wait time. Bought a power bank today seems like a reasonable investment.

Funny thing is it wasn't even cold weather related, I had my car down in the wash bay cleaning it up a bit and left the key in ACC rather than off. I usually have the radio connected to my phone so didn't even think about the lack of sound.

Half hour later... RIP in pieces. Plus it's a weak-ass OEM battery.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I wish it was -20C and snow here, I f***ing hate winter when it's +0--+5C like it has been here for the last 2-3 months. Cold means snow on the ground, and snow on the ground means it's not that dark. I read somewhere that Helsinki had something like 12 hours of sunshine (yes, you read that right, 12h per month. sun is above horizon only few hours per day, and if it is cloudy then f*** you too) because of it's been cloudy and rainy all the time. It would not be that bad if there was snow.

I grew up in northeastern Finland, and winters back then were great. Dark for sure, but there was snow, air was really clear and clean, you could skate on the school rink nearby etc.

I dont complain about winter. I complain about lack of winter, and if I had the chance I'd move somewhere aroud the Arctic circle

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I wish it was -20C and snow here, I ****ing hate winter when it's +0--+5C like it has been here for the last 2-3 months. Cold means snow on the ground, and snow on the ground means it's not that dark. I read somewhere that Helsinki had something like 12 hours of sunshine (yes, you read that right, 12h per month. sun is above horizon only few hours per day, and if it is cloudy then **** you too) because of it's been cloudy and rainy all the time. It would not be that bad if there was snow.

I grew up in northeastern Finland, and winters back then were great. Dark for sure, but there was snow, air was really clear and clean, you could skate on the school rink nearby etc.

I dont complain about winter. I complain about lack of winter, and if I had the chance I'd move somewhere aroud the Arctic circle

Wanna swap lives? ;)

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

I'd keep my eye on this one. Could be another SARS 2003 and H1N1 2009, but I'm getting a little nervous tbh.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I know this might be tough, but if you avoid unprotected contact with farm animals you'll be fine. :sarcasm:

I mean it has already spread from person to person and symptoms aren’t always easy to determine (fever isn’t always certain, so airport screening is missing cases). Considering how quickly it’s come out of nowhere I’ll be following the news cycle with this one.

Also, US pulling diplomats out of the affected regions

US chartering flight to evacuate Americans and diplomats out of China amid coronavirus outbreak - CNNPolitics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad