OT: The Off-Topic Thread XX: La fiesta española

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I have a desktop Win 7 PC in my livingroom (HTPC), two Win 7 Dell laptops for my own use (with docking station and external 27" screen) and one Dell laptop from work. I should get rid of some of this stuff.

and NAS to storage my stuff

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I have as ASUS desktop in my living room. I have a Toshiba laptop that is like 7 years old and still works like a dream, that is other than the burnt out screen caused from plugging the wrong adapter into it maybe a month after getting it. It's just something I have hooked to my bedroom TV now. I also have an Alienware laptop, it's almost 2 years old now.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Oh, I also acquired a Chromebook. I agree it's pretty useful.

One of the selling points for getting (and keeping) the Chromebook for me is if yours is a model where you can enable the Play Store, you can install Netflix and then download movies and shows for offline watching. Perfect for long drives or flights.

I also have an Alienware laptop, it's almost 2 years old now.

Holy crap, has it been that long already? It just seems like you got it not that long ago.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
One of the selling points for getting (and keeping) the Chromebook for me is if yours is a model where you can enable the Play Store, you can install Netflix and then download movies and shows for offline watching. Perfect for long drives or flights.

Holy crap, has it been that long already? It just seems like you got it not that long ago.
I think it will be 2 years in the fall. it wasn't long after I started at the job I'm in and I've been there for 2 years in a couple weeks.

It's also probably been 3-4 years since my desktop quit too.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
It's not much, but it's mine...

jZlagzXr.jpg

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
All I have is an iPhone and iPad, which I never use.

My laptop basically always has at least 3 things running on it. I only ever see my desktop image when I'm forced to restart.

I do use my phone a fair bit when I'm on the go (like now), but it's frustrating to not be able to type.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think I'd ever sit at a computer station in my house anyways. I totally get the value of having one, I obviously have one at work. But I'm home I usually either go on here, fantasy league apps, or FB or banking of which I have apps for.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Haha sweet, that's the Planet Express ship? Nice set up, but the fact that all the monitors are different would bother me haha

Probably a compatibility issue. :sarcasm:

:laugh:

I don't think I'd ever sit at a computer station in my house anyways. I totally get the value of having one, I obviously have one at work. But I'm home I usually either go on here, fantasy league apps, or FB or banking of which I have apps for.

I'm almost always on my laptop. The only time I'm ever on my desktop is when I have to do photo editing. Which reminds, I really should get started on those wedding photos I did a few weeks back....

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Haha sweet, that's the Planet Express ship? Nice set up, but the fact that all the monitors are different would bother me haha

I'm almost always on my laptop. The only time I'm ever on my desktop is when I have to do photo editing. Which reminds, I really should get started on those wedding photos I did a few weeks back....

It is Planet Express ship :laugh:
The two smaller white ones are the same, and that's all I ever intended on having, the others I acquired through work. I still sometimes run out of screen real estate :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Had I known you did that, I would have hired you to shoot our wedding. I couldn't stand who did ours.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'll just say I was not happy with the person. Things were missed, things were rushed, I also found them to be very bossy and a bunch of the photos were not that great.

And Meth, yes I should :laugh:

That sucks.

So out of curiosity, when you had your consultation with them, did they seem okay? What about during the engagement photo session? I ask because when I meet with potential clients, I always, always, always encourage them to keep shopping around and meeting with other photographers even after they meet with me. Reason being the photographers are probably some of the few people who are with the wedding couple for almost the entire day from start the end so it's important there's some chemistry there. Even parents or the wedding party get a break from the couple. If there is some resentment from either the bride or groom, it'll show in the product. This isn't my day job so my feelings aren't hurt if I'm not hired because I would rather the couple find the right person for them. And I tell them that. If I produce bad results, that's my reputation on the line and nobody is happy in the end. This is also why I encourage couples to take advantage of the engagement session because it gives a chance for them to feel out the photographer and see if there are any warning signs.

Last year I had a co-worker who spent almost a year looking for a wedding photographer and he found one that he sort of liked, partly cause he was getting desperate and partly cause he was tired of looking, but there were some things in the contract he felt uncomfortable with so he asked me for some advice and I went over it with him in layman's terms and found some potential red flags. By the end of our coffee break, he pretty much hired me and I wasn't even on the radar cause he initially thought I was too expensive for him.

Yeah that bossy thing is kinda tough and I try not to be too pushy. The only time I might get a little bossy is when I'm doing group photos and time is tight. It's like herding cats and there's a schedule to keep and everyone is standing around talking and taking selfies and there's usually a couple hours until the reception with lots left to do. The last wedding I did, the schedule had allocated an hour to doing family photos. They had almost 30 sets of photos on the list (HUGE family) which gave us 2 minutes to do each set and I take 2 or 3 photos of each. Combine that with the time needed in rounding up the right people for each group shot and arranging them so faces can be seen, that didn't give us a lot of time. We were also 30 minutes behind schedule because the wedding couple had to backtrack to get the wedding rings and some of the guests had trouble finding the photo location, not to mention the elderly who have difficulty walking. My partner and I banged out those photos with 15 minutes to spare and we got everything back on schedule. You just gotta know your boundaries. (I got comments afterwards about how some people were so shocked at how efficient we were haha)

Flames Fanatic, that's some free advice for you!

Last edited:

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
That sucks.

So out of curiosity, when you had your consultation with them, did they seem okay? What about during the engagement photo session? I ask because when I meet with potential clients, I always, always, always encourage them to keep shopping around and meeting with other photographers even after they meet with me. Reason being the photographers are probably some of the few people who are with the wedding couple for almost the entire day from start the end so it's important there's some chemistry there. Even parents or the wedding party get a break from the couple. If there is some resentment from either the bride or groom, it'll show in the product. This isn't my day job so my feelings aren't hurt if I'm not hired because I would rather the couple find the right person for them. And I tell them that. If I produce bad results, that's my reputation on the line and nobody is happy in the end. This is also why I encourage couples to take advantage of the engagement session because it gives a chance for them to feel out the photographer and see if there are any warning signs.

Last year I had a co-worker who spent almost a year looking for a wedding photographer and he found one that he sort of liked, partly cause he was getting desperate and partly cause he was tired of looking, but there were some things in the contract he felt uncomfortable with so he asked me for some advice and I went over it with him in layman's terms and found some potential red flags. By the end of our coffee break, he pretty much hired me and I wasn't even on the radar cause he initially thought I was too expensive for him.

Yeah that bossy thing is kinda tough and I try not to be too pushy. The only time I might get a little bossy is when I'm doing group photos and time is tight. It's like herding cats and there's a schedule to keep and everyone is standing around talking and taking selfies and there's usually a couple hours until the reception with lots left to do. The last wedding I did, the schedule had allocated an hour to doing family photos. They had almost 30 sets of photos on the list (HUGE family) which gave us 2 minutes to do each set and I take 2 or 3 photos of each. Combine that with the time needed in rounding up the right people for each group shot and arranging them so faces can be seen, that didn't give us a lot of time. We were also 30 minutes behind schedule because the wedding couple had to backtrack to get the wedding rings and some of the guests had trouble finding the photo location, not to mention the elderly who have difficulty walking. My partner and I banged out those photos with 15 minutes to spare and we got everything back on schedule. You just gotta know your boundaries. (I got comments afterwards about how some people were so shocked at how efficient we were haha)

Flames Fanatic, that's some free advice for you!
FF

Tl;Dr version: hire UC, he's amazing :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
UC that is great advice. Honestly I'm not a fan of the person that did them, I felt zero chemistry with her. She also didn't get a single photo of Mrs. Hox and her bridesmaids. I might get some family photos done this fall, we should talk for sure.

And if we don't hire you, I'm just going to change my username on here :laugh:

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
Oh, I also acquired a Chromebook. I agree it's pretty useful.

I´ve also got a Chromebook and can only agree, if you need something cheap for school its pretty good.

I got mine, so I can use it for history lessons and it was well worth it.
Wouldn´t recommend it if you plan to use it as ur main device tho.

Google Docs is easier to use regarding putting documents in your cloud, compared to MS Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->