OT: The Off-Topic Thread XX: La fiesta española

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have a tiny one in my kitchen. It was by far the cheapest of its size in 1080p, and I had zero flexibility in terms of size. It works, but it takes forever to turn on, and after it turns on, there is a delay before you can adjust the volume. Can be a real pain sometimes.

Also, there is noticeable blur while watching sports.
Odd. I'll read some reviews and see if it is still a common issue.

I'm looking at 65" 4k for about $1250, while itsia good price, it's still alotof money and I don't want to get f***ed when I could spend a little more on an LG

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I have a tiny one in my kitchen. It was by far the cheapest of its size in 1080p, and I had zero flexibility in terms of size. It works, but it takes forever to turn on, and after it turns on, there is a delay before you can adjust the volume. Can be a real pain sometimes.

Also, there is noticeable blur while watching sports.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Does anyone have a Vizio TV? I'm considering getting one, but I'm only familiar with their audio products personally (love my sound bar).

If you have one or have had one of their TVs, what did you think?
I too have a Vizio soundbar and love it. Some of their models get great reviews but not all their models are equal. The P and M models get good reviews.
If I could ever talk my wife into letting me replace my 65" Samsung this is the 70" Vizio I'd like to buy..

Costco Wholesale

Edit: I see you are looking at getting a 65"

I'd go with this..

Costco Wholesale

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I'm looking at 65" 4k for about $1250, while itsia good price, it's still alotof money and I don't want to get ****ed when I could spend a little more on an LG
I mean, granted, this was a couple of years ago, and it's probably the worst TV they made at the time (21" or something?).

I still do love the TV, though, because it fits perfectly into the space above the pantry I built, and I can clean/cook while watching sports.

If you're looking at a 65", you might as well disregard everything I said about my puny little thing.

FWIW, I bought a Sharp Roku 4K 65" from Best Buy around Christmas, and it's extremely good value for the money. I think I ended up paying about $800.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I too have a Vizio soundbar and love it. Some of their models get great reviews but not all their models are equal. The P and M models get good reviews.
If I could ever talk my wife into letting me replace my 65" Samsung this is the 70" Vizio I'd like to buy..

Costco Wholesale

I'd go with this..

Costco Wholesale

The best way to talk your wife into getting a new TV is to buy new living room furniture and get the free TV that comes with it

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I bought a 55" LG Plasma TV like 12 (?) years ago. At the time, it was near top of the line and I paid a pretty penny. I regret it. Within two years I could have gotten a bigger version of the same TV for about 1/3 of the price.

And because it's LG, damn thing won't die so I can't replace it. (am not allowed to)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Costco Wholesale

I'd go with this..

Costco Wholesale
That is actually the exact TV I plan on getting :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I bought a 55" LG Plasma TV like 12 (?) years ago. At the time, it was near top of the line and I paid a pretty penny. I regret it. Within two years I could have gotten a bigger version of the same TV for about 1/3 of the price.

And because it's LG, damn thing won't die so I can't replace it. (am not allowed to)
Sounds like you need to play catch in the living room with a kid. Oops.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That is actually the exact TV I plan on getting :laugh:
Read the review that I posted. I don't think you can get better bang for your buck. For me picture quality is primo... you can have all the bells and whistles but if Image Quality sucks you won't be happy.
The review is for the 70" M series but its the same tv as the 65" you want.

P.S. You cant by a TCL model tv in Canada, that they talk about in the Cnet review.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Read the review that I posted. I don't think you can get better bang for your buck. For me picture quality is primo... you can have all the bells and whistles but if Image Quality sucks you won't be happy.
The review is for the 70" M series but its the same tv as the 65" you want.
thanks Rubi, honestly, all I care about is picture and sound. I'll have a new desktop computer connected to it, so I won't be using the Smart features.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

So, next time I'm over for a drink we should get into a "fight"?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
thanks Rubi, honestly, all I care about is picture and sound. I'll have a new desktop computer connected to it, so I won't be using the Smart features.
You will like the 65". I watch all the Flames games on my 65" Samsung. Just wish the picture quality was better... particularly the blacks.... which is why I would love to replace it with a Vizio M series.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Wow... I used to have a Panasonic plasma.. til it died on me a few years ago. I replaced it with the 65" Samsung LED.
Man that plasma was heavy!!! Was glad to see it gone.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You will like the 65". I watch all the Flames games on my 65" Samsung. Just wish the picture quality was better... particularly the blacks.... which is why I would love to replace it with a Vizio M series.
I currently have a 55" Samsung that I plan to move to my spare room to watch when I'm working out. I'm not too terribly picky when it comes to picture quality, obviously I don't want SD , but as long as I can see as clearly as my terrible eyes will let me, I'm content haha. The one thing I liked about this Vizio model is the 4 HDMI ports, my current TV has just 2 and when I have my cable box, computer, PS4 and BluRay all going through HDMI, it's a pain in the ass.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

I'm looking at 65" 4k for about $1250, while itsia good price, it's still alotof money and I don't want to get ****ed when I could spend a little more on an LG
My Father in law has a 65” 4K Vizio and he loves it. This guy is really into electronics, and for years would buy nothing but Sony, he picked up the Vizio on Boxing Day on a whim and said he was blown away by the quality, considering the price especially.

As for LG, I can attest to those, I got a free 50” LG 4K tv from Telus, and while it’s a good tv, and the smart interface is good, I can never get the picture quality to where I like it, it just seems dull in comparison to the Sony LCD I have in the basement. I don’t think I’ll ever shell out money for a LG.

Disclaimer, the Sony I’m comparing it to, while being a few years old, was an absolute top of the line unit.

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

I bought 65” LG oled a month ago. Black level is of course perfect, and some Dolby Vision material from Netflix is amazing. Also watched Planet Earth 2 in HDR

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Who wants to come over to my place?
1970s-tv.jpg

Being on WCB for the last 2.5 years I have not been able to upgrade in that time so I am stuck with a 60" LG.

That said it is a huge step up from when I first started watching hockey with the fuzz from the antenna on the 27" CRT watching Mike Palmeteer, Salming, Sittler, Dave "TIGER" Williams, Turnbull, and Lanny.

Oh memories ... clouded from time or from reception... hmmm

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
1970s-tv.jpg

Being on WCB for the last 2.5 years I have not been able to upgrade in that time so I am stuck with a 60" LG.

That said it is a huge step up from when I first started watching hockey with the fuzz from the antenna on the 27" CRT watching Mike Palmeteer, Salming, Sittler, Dave "TIGER" Williams, Turnbull, and Lanny.

No wonder we rarely get along, I never liked my grandad either :sarcasm:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
1970s-tv.jpg

Remember the old roof antenna where when you wanted to change to one of the other 5 channels you had to change the direction that the antenna was pointed in? Every house used to have one.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Any cord cutters out there? I’ve finally made the plunge, well I received and set up my new Shaw modem, cutting off my Telus Optik tomorrow morning. I was just wondering what everyone uses to stream? I’m watching the game right now on Sportsnet Now on my Xbox one, and while it’s decent quality, I’d like a real 4K device for my tv. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I’ll mainly be looking to stream sportsnet and Crave come GOT season. I have Netflix and Amazon already predownloaded on my LG smart tv, and Kodi on my Xbox which I’m fine with.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Shaw freerange tv? Find someone who has Shaw cable and share a login. Cable vs freerange can be up to 15-20 seconds delay though.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
NVIDIA shield works nicely for me, it’s Android based. Also has native Plex server if you have need for those things.

I actually bought a cable tv package just couple of weeks ago :laugh:

Better quality and I got my old streaming service still included. The price was pretty much the same, maybe 4€ more but I also added couple sports channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad