OT: The Off-Topic Thread sponsored by Hank Scorpio

Status
Not open for further replies.

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
Football guys, I don't know if you've been following the Aaron Rodgers drama but damn this has been a hell of a sports week for me.

First off everything with the Wings. Really exciting draft + Ned.

But then Rodgers returning to rework his contract, bringing Randall Cobb back, and today he just put the Packers management on blast. If you haven't watched Rodgers press conference today, it's worth a look. He just unloaded all his grievances.

At least the air has been cleared now and they can start working on solutions. Until then, this feels like one last rodeo for my Packers before they retool.

I'm not into the details with this like you but what's your stance on how he had no guaranteed money in the last few years of his deal?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm not into the details with this like you but what's your stance on how he had no guaranteed money in the last few years of his deal?

That was always by design. It gave the Packers flexibility in the event of injury or whatever. Rodgers is incredible but he's near normal QB retirement age.

Brady at the same age was signing short deals, essentially the same dynamic. Take it a year or two at a time and go from there.

Rodgers forced the Packers to restructure the deals, voiding the last year, and giving him a say in where (if) he gets traded in 2022. It was really important for him not to feel like a lame duck QB with Jordan Love breathing down his neck.

It's kind of a win for all parties, actually. Rodgers can go if he wants. And the Packers can still get trade value back. Or they could work on an extension if the vibes are going well. An extension that won't handcuff Rodgers so much and give him input.

Given how dire it looked a few months ago, this has all been good news.

Reactions: RayMoonDoh

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
That was always by design. It gave the Packers flexibility in the event of injury or whatever. Rodgers is incredible but he's near normal QB retirement age.

Brady at the same age was signing short deals, essentially the same dynamic. Take it a year or two at a time and go from there.

Rodgers forced the Packers to restructure the deals, voiding the last year, and giving him a say in where (if) he gets traded in 2022. It was really important for him not to feel like a lame duck QB with Jordan Love breathing down his neck.

It's kind of a win for all parties, actually. Rodgers can go if he wants. And the Packers can still get trade value back. Or they could work on an extension if the vibes are going well. An extension that won't handcuff Rodgers so much and give him input.

Given how dire it looked a few months ago, this has all been good news.

SuperBowl or bust with the way the cap is lining up for them. Love A-Rod but with Jaire, Jenkins, Savage, Gary needing new deals soon and Jones, Clark, and Bahkti’s $$$ locked in, taking a load of draft picks and a young receiver to offset losing losing Rodgers and Davante is a legit option. Sounds like Aaron has legit beef tho.

hope love can ball

Reactions: Bench

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
SuperBowl or bust with the way the cap is lining up for them. Love A-Rod but with Jaire, Jenkins, Savage, Gary needing new deals soon and Jones, Clark, and Bahkti’s $$$ locked in, taking a load of draft picks and a young receiver to offset losing losing Rodgers and Davante is a legit option. Sounds like Aaron has legit beef tho.

hope love can ball

Adams is currently asking to be the highest paid WR in the league.

So yeah, something is going to break. You can't have all these guys getting paid top 3 position money and still field a full roster.

Next off-season is going to be wild either way. If Rodgers and Adams stay the contracts are going to need to be really creative and other guys are gone. If they go, it will signal a new era.

At least we won't be bored!

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Adams is currently asking to be the highest paid WR in the league.

So yeah, something is going to break. You can't have all these guys getting paid top 3 position money and still field a full roster.

Next off-season is going to be wild either way. If Rodgers and Adams stay the contracts are going to need to be really creative and other guys are gone. If they go, it will signal a new era.

At least we won't be bored!

hopkins contract is killing us. Davante deserves top line money but AZ has Kyler on a rookie deal. Big difference.

GB is deep and motivated. Need some improvement at DL/ILB, but this year could be the one.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
hopkins contract is killing us. Davante deserves top line money but AZ has Kyler on a rookie deal. Big difference.

GB is deep and motivated. Need some improvement at DL/ILB, but this year could be the one.

Dude that Hopkins deal. Ugh. What the hell.

But hell yeah. It's a good enough roster to win. Should be a hell of a ride, barring injury, which always tilts the scales in the NFL dramatically.

I still wonder if having Bahk in that NFC championship game is the difference maker.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Dude that Hopkins deal. Ugh. What the hell.

But hell yeah. It's a good enough roster to win. Should be a hell of a ride, barring injury, which always tilts the scales in the NFL dramatically.

I still wonder if having Bahk in that NFC championship game is the difference maker.
That injury sources a fascinating what-if between GB, TB, and KC.

Does GB win w/ a healthy Bahk?
Does Tom retire on an NfCCG loss?
Does Aaron ride off w/ a SB win?
Does Love get thrown to the wolves the following year and derail his career?
Does Mahomie get his second SB at age 25?

the repercussions at QB alone are mind-bottling :laugh:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
It's going to be a huge match coming up, USA vs Canada in the Semifinal for Women's Olympic Soccer.

My wife is an avid fan of the U.S. team so I catch a lot of the games when she watches. They haven't looked the same since Alex Morgan came back. My wife picked Sweden for gold before the olympics started.

Reactions: Konnan511

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yo, the f*** happened in that Mitchell Stephens topic?

And yes. So many team lifers on the move. And Max Scherzer to Dodgers and he is owed $0 by the dodgers

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yo, the f*** happened in that Mitchell Stephens topic?

hqdefault.jpg

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Meanwhile, it's turning into Silent Hill outside.

2wpb85ju8ee71.jpg

Before and after.

Canadian wildfires causing toxic air. Kinda hurts your eyes to be outside for too long.

This is definitely a video game and Netflix inside weekend.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Meanwhile, it's turning into Silent Hill outside.

2wpb85ju8ee71.jpg

Before and after.

Canadian wildfires causing toxic air. Kinda hurts your eyes to be outside for too long.

This is definitely a video game and Netflix inside weekend.

Jesus. That’s no bueno.

y02le.jpg

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Alright, I'm going to share this here. The Winger Family went on vacation this past week to Gatlinburg, TN and I had something nicely unsettling happen at lunch on Thursday. We went to a place called The Fox and Parrot Tavern, a little place that is off the beaten path advertising British pub food. We like getting off the beaten path a bit and, if you've been to Gatlinburg, you'd enjoy it in such a place, too.

So, we go inside and this older lady greets us from the bar and says to take a seat. In a bit she comes over and gives us menus and gabs a bit. I'm pretty quiet because I'm mostly staring at her. My grandma has been dead for nine years. she was a pretty solidly built woman, 5'8''/5'9''. This woman giving me little rectangular menu cards bears a crazy resemblance to her. The same build, the same facial structure. She wasn't a doppleganger but like a cousin. It was so distinct that my wife, who met my grandmother maybe twice? before she died commented on it.

Which, by itself, would have been a fun piece of vacation story telling.

My youngest is 17 months and because of covid we haven't exactly been able to get him out a lot. Definitely not to the extent we had his sister out and about. And so he's not always the friendliest with strangers. For some reason he started following this lady around the restaurant. Laughing, giggling, falling all over himself. Then he calls her nana. Or says something approximating it enough that this nice, older lady looks at him and says, "You want a nana? I can be your nana."

And I lost it.

One of my genuine regrets is that my kids never really got to know my grandparents or my uncle from my mom's side. Seeing this woman who bore such a resemblance to my grandmother and having my kid just take to her...I still have a hard time with it a few days later. It was just straight up unsettling but in a good way. I'm sure the germans have a word for it but I don't know it.

Anyway. Long story aside, The Fox and Parrot does have some good food and is a good place to sit down and have a beer while watching some soccer. I don't know if it really is genuine British pub fare, but they fake it well. Also highly recommend Black Bear Cafe, Split Rail Eats and Junction 35 (the most main stream place we ate, but it was really good). Maybe later I'll post a pic of the booze haul.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Alright, I'm going to share this here. The Winger Family went on vacation this past week to Gatlinburg, TN and I had something nicely unsettling happen at lunch on Thursday. We went to a place called The Fox and Parrot Tavern, a little place that is off the beaten path advertising British pub food. We like getting off the beaten path a bit and, if you've been to Gatlinburg, you'd enjoy it in such a place, too.

So, we go inside and this older lady greets us from the bar and says to take a seat. In a bit she comes over and gives us menus and gabs a bit. I'm pretty quiet because I'm mostly staring at her. My grandma has been dead for nine years. she was a pretty solidly built woman, 5'8''/5'9''. This woman giving me little rectangular menu cards bears a crazy resemblance to her. The same build, the same facial structure. She wasn't a doppleganger but like a cousin. It was so distinct that my wife, who met my grandmother maybe twice? before she died commented on it.

My youngest is 17 months and because of covid we haven't exactly been able to get him out a lot. Definitely not to the extent we had his sister out and about. And so he's not always the friendliest with strangers. For some reason he started following this lady around the restaurant. Laughing, giggling, falling all over himself. Then he calls her nana. Or says something approximating it enough that this nice, older lady looks at him and says, "You want a nana? I can be your nana."

And I lost it.

One of my genuine regrets is that my kids never really got to know my grandparents or my uncle from my mom's side. Seeing this woman who bore such a resemblance to my grandmother and having my kid just take to her...I still have a hard time with it a few days later. It was just straight up unsettling but in a good way. I'm sure the germans have a word for it but I don't know it.

Anyway. Long story aside, The Fox and Parrot does have some good food and is a good place to sit down and have a beer while watching some soccer. I don't know if it really is genuine British pub fare, but they fake it well. Also highly recommend Black Bear Cafe, Split Rail Eats and Junction 35 (the most main stream place we ate, but it was really good). Maybe later I'll post a pic of the booze haul.
Nice story, Moms/Grandmas are special.

"Verklempt" is the German word you seek, often used in English & a personal fav.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

And I lost it.

Gatlinburg is a personal favorite of mine. I always recommend it to people who are visiting Tennessee or North Carolina for their first times.

Reactions: Winger98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->