The Off Ice Value of Ceci and Pageau

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I am sure you all know that Ceci and Pageau are local players that played their junior hockey locally. I am just wondering what kind of value this brings to the franchise in marketing, potential to grow the fanbase and to bring in more dollars (and hopefully in turn better player).

Pageau in particular seems to be the more interesting case. Being from the Gatineau side of the river would he be able to help build up this teams weaker french fan base? If the Sens move to Lebreton Gatineau could be a much more profitable market for the Sens to tap in to.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i remember when ottawa was interested in drafting kadri i wondered if it in part had to do with the large Lebanese community here in ottawa

would have been cool i bet for that group of people and the sens might have gained a little more fans

Xamar*

i remember when ottawa was interested in drafting kadri i wondered if it in part had to do with the large Lebanese community here in ottawa

would have been cool i bet for that group of people and the sens might have gained a little more fans

And Cowen sucks

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Having local guys makes for a good story, and will boost interest a bit.

But long term, you want to rack up some wins and playoff victories to really grow the fanbase.

BigBush*

The 2015 Ottawa Senators are proud to select Travis Konecny!

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I rank local right up there with 'good guy' as far as importance for me.

I don't really care if we have a team full of local guys who love giving autographs on off days to orphans... if they suck at hockey.

Those guys are easier to root for - but in the end I'd rather the team was a winner. (that said, I wouldn't cheer for 21 obnoxious dickheads... but I think you get my point)

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
The Sens surprisingly don't market the fact that Pageau and Ceci (along with Methot and Boro) are local guys. If the line-up was set accordingly, we can actually say "half our D is from Ottawa".

It's weird they don't mention it more often.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
could be the sens not wanting to put extra pressure on them. Maybe as they establish themselves we will see more marketing

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

would be pretty cool

i always hated seeing guys like Couture Cuma Toffoli and Mcginn going to other teams

It was nice seeing us draft Ceci Prince Cowick

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
i wouldnt take them if they werent deserving...Konecny probably goes around our pick

Zultek was drafted around the same time as Hossa and was also seen as a good, deserving prospect. My point is, more thought needs to go into it than "he's local." And I'm not saying Konecny won't be good, but look at the other players who might also be available. There will likely be someone better available.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Zultek was drafted around the same time as Hossa and was also seen as a good, deserving prospect. My point is, more thought needs to go into it than "he's local." And I'm not saying Konecny won't be good, but look at the other players who might also be available. There will likely be someone better available.

Agreed. It's all well and good to select local boys, as long as they actually do something. IMO looking at the past, I now think being local should have zero bearing on who we select, which, 5 years ago, I wouldn't have said.

Let's be realists for a second. What benefit has drafting Cowick and Prince gotten us.

Maybe Prince eventually pans out, but we can't just draft the local boy.

Edit- IMO having Pageau does nothing to increase our fan base across the river. MAYBE a few dozen fans of the Q now follow the sens more closely, when JGP is actually playing here. But it does nothing in the grand scheme to improve our popularity in quebec. The only thing that could actually increase that would be moving to LeBreton, and you know, winning.

Let me put it this way: we had Vermette on the team, and although not local, he was a darling for the French media covering the Sens, but it didn't actually get us any fans. French stations got a few extra sound bites, but that's about it.

Last edited:

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I am sure you all know that Ceci and Pageau are local players that played their junior hockey locally. I am just wondering what kind of value this brings to the franchise in marketing, potential to grow the fanbase and to bring in more dollars (and hopefully in turn better player).

Pageau in particular seems to be the more interesting case. Being from the Gatineau side of the river would he be able to help build up this teams weaker french fan base? If the Sens move to Lebreton Gatineau could be a much more profitable market for the Sens to tap in to.

It is a double edged sword. You market them heavily, tand then they leave town it realy looks bad. Lets face it, everyone leaves town (not just Ottawa players, league wide) so you have to be careful. Pageau especially is still on the bubble

Ceci and Pageau are also from areas of town which from an income basis are not your hot spots to try and sell season tickets. The high income earners are clustered around the south and west end of the cities. Gatineau is very much a civil service town, much more so than west Ottawa and South Ottawa so I'm not sure how much growth opportunity there is for season tickets there.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

of course you look at everyone but if you believe two players are similar in potential then you go for the local kid more likely

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
of course you look at everyone but if you believe two players are similar in potential then you go for the local kid more likely

Yeah agreed. All things being equal local> non local.

I don't think we passed up superior players when we picked ceci and pageau.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

We'll pick well before his slot comes around I think. Expecting 5, 6, 7. A poorly timed trade for a top 6 forward would mean giving up good prospects and push us to 8 or 9.

h2

Mar 26, 2002

For every Zultek one could mention Couture, Ceci, Toffoli.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Noone cares about local guys. But getting the Stone and Michalek brothers... mmmm, brothers. Fans have long been all over the idea of brothers as smart building.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Agreed. It's all well and good to select local boys, as long as they actually do something. IMO looking at the past, I now think being local should have zero bearing on who we select, which, 5 years ago, I wouldn't have said.

Let's be realists for a second. What benefit has drafting Cowick and Prince gotten us.

Maybe Prince eventually pans out, but we can't just draft the local boy.

Edit- IMO having Pageau does nothing to increase our fan base across the river. MAYBE a few dozen fans of the Q now follow the sens more closely, when JGP is actually playing here. But it does nothing in the grand scheme to improve our popularity in quebec. The only thing that could actually increase that would be moving to LeBreton, and you know, winning.

Let me put it this way: we had Vermette on the team, and although not local, he was a darling for the French media covering the Sens, but it didn't actually get us any fans. French stations got a few extra sound bites, but that's about it.

I'm amazed at how close to the ground your ears seem to be regarding the french fan base!

Seriously though, if Pageau becomes a regular on the team and begins to produce, it'll very likely get more attention from my side of the river. Even my brother and father, who are big time Habs fans, are interested in his progression.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I'm amazed at how close to the ground your ears seem to be regarding the french fan base!

Seriously though, if Pageau becomes a regular on the team and begins to produce, it'll very likely get more attention from my side of the river. Even my brother and father, who are big time Habs fans, are interested in his progression.

Interest isn't enough to convert die hards to Sens fans though ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad