The Nylander Chronicles Part XXI - Legal Drinking Age in the US Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Yep.

Folks zero in on the point totals but completely ignore the context (and the fact that Nylander actually had a higher PPG lol) than Pasta

That's if you ignore what league they're in. It's not a plus for Nylander that he wasn't good enough to play in the NHL as soon as Pastrnak.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That's if you ignore what league they're in. It's not a plus for Nylander that he wasn't good enough to play in the NHL as soon as Pastrnak.
The reason people don't take this into account much is that when you get to the NHL depends so much on context. It was pretty obvious to anybody that Willy should have been on the NHL team by merit that season he came up for a stint, but they didn't want to put him on a last-place team designed to be bad, and take the roster spot of someone there to be sold. So Pastrnak spent two years in the league as a replacement level player. In most cases, the better development path is in a lesser league at that point. So what does that tell us about Pastrnak and Nylander, compared to Boston and Toronto?

Reactions: Menzinger

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
There is no reason for Dubas to make a decision until Dec 1st

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
What numbers? They can say anything they would like to. They are not payed to report the exact numbers, they are paid to spread speculation so people are following them and talk about it all the time.

Don't tell me you believe everything they said other than "confirmed with link", please don't.

Now you're just twisting things to fit your narrative...

The sports media folks get paid to speculate and report numbers being talked upon. 9 times out of 10, they are fairly accurate.

You're really showing your biases if you elect not to take any value in it, simply because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Reactions: glue

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Again, how do you know it's not Dubas offering only like 5M for 6-8 years?

Why the hell are people so confident that it's Willy who is asking for too much and not the other way around?

Because some "insiders" said so?

..........okay..........

Well, when you put it that way, it does seem more reliable than Internet hyperbole.....

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What numbers? They can say anything they would like to. They are not payed to report the exact numbers, they are paid to spread speculation so people are following them and talk about it all the time.

Don't tell me you believe everything they said other than "confirmed with link", please don't.

Actually, they are paid to report news.....

Do you honestly believe they have not contacted anybody in either camp?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Actually, they are paid to report news.....

Do you honestly believe they have not contacted anybody in either camp?

On the other hand, it was Dreger who threw out that Nylander was asking for 8.5, other media types latched on to that and 8 to 8.5 was being widely reported, then a few days later, Dreger said that that was just speculation on his part and that no numbers had been leaked from either side.

Doesn't do much for their credibility if you ask me.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Now you're just twisting things to fit your narrative...

The sports media folks get paid to speculate and report numbers being talked upon. 9 times out of 10, they are fairly accurate.

You're really showing your biases if you elect not to take any value in it, simply because it doesn't fit your narrative.

All I'm saying is I don't believe them, simply because I'm tired of the "my belief is", "what i'm hearing is", "my understanding is" bullshit, with no acutal proof on nothing, only generating speculations, that's it.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
On the other hand, it was Dreger who threw out that Nylander was asking for 8.5, other media types latched on to that and 8 to 8.5 was being widely reported, then a few days later, Dreger said that that was just speculation on his part and that no numbers had been leaked from either side.

I'm pretty sure Dreger has since said that they are indeed asking for 8+...

He's flopped a bit, but guys like Friedman and Bobby Mac have their own sources too, you know... ;)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
All I'm saying is I don't believe them, simply because I'm tired of the "my belief is", "what i'm hearing is", "my understanding is" bull****, with no acutal proof on nothing, only generating speculations, that's it.

Are you arguing that Nylander ISN'T asking for above market value?

My initial point still stands... Its frustrating that it seems like we have the only player in the NHL willing to hold out to sign for above market value...

Dubas has gone out and said he's not willing to set new market values... there is no indication that the Leafs' camp isn't willing to sign for market value...

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
All I'm saying is I don't believe them, simply because I'm tired of the "my belief is", "what i'm hearing is", "my understanding is" bull****, with no acutal proof on nothing, only generating speculations, that's it.

Agreed. I don't follow the media that closely but I think you'd have to track it over time to see how credible the various people are but my general impression is that overall, I wouldn't put too much stock into what they way.

A good example is your "What I'm hearing" - I always think hearing from who, your cat? I think it's much more credible when they say "I heard from a GM in the Western conference" or something like that but when they don't even hint at who their source is, it's just noise to me.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

My initial point still stands... Its frustrating that it seems like we have the only player in the NHL willing to hold out to sign for above market value...

Dubas has gone out and said he's not willing to set new market values... there is no indication that the Leafs' camp isn't willing to sign for market value...

The bolded is key for me - I think it's fair to say that it does seem that way. I think it's also fair to say that we don't really know anything for sure.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm pretty sure Dreger has since said that they are indeed asking for 8+...

He's flopped a bit, but guys like Friedman and Bobby Mac have their own sources too, you know... ;)

Flopped a bit? He threw out a number, then later admitted that he basically made it up. What he said "since" is irrelevant to me as he now has zero credibility, period. How can you possibly trust a guy who just makes stuff up?

Reactions: Walshy7

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd

What I'm arguing is Dubas offering less money than market value is just as much possible as Willy asking for 8M+, because all we know is based on speculation.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Nope .The other major network (Sportsnet) reported that Nylander was asking over 8 million too . I don't know how many times I have to post this for doubting leaf conspiracy theory people.

Have you ever asked for a raise at your job? You know you're probably going to get 2-3% raise if you ask for 5 or 6 %. You never ask for 3% because your boss will low ball you at 1.5-2%.

It's just the same thing for Nylander.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
What I'm arguing is Dubas offering less money than market value is just as much possible as Willy asking for 8M+, because all we know is based on speculation.
The counter-argument would be:

1) There's a lot of smoke from different places, and some of those are actually reliable, unlike Dreger.
2) The comments in media has fit that picture. If it was Leafs coming in low and Willy camp being reasonable, I'd think we would hear Gross in media. Their silence indicates they have nothing to win by getting their side out there.

Reactions: meng666 and MyBudJT

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Nope .The other major network (Sportsnet) reported that Nylander was asking over 8 million too . I don't know how many times I have to post this for doubting leaf conspiracy theory people.

Have you ever asked for a raise at your job? You know you're probably going to get 2-3% raise if you ask for 5 or 6 %. You never ask for 3% because your boss will low ball you at 1.5-2%.

It's just the same thing for Nylander.

LOL. I posted what I read/heard myself in the media so I know it's true. If you choose not to believe me that's fine but I know perfectly well what I read and heard. Dreger was full of crap and he admitted it. Perhaps you'd like to tell us what Sportsnet listed as their source, or did they even say? It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they said something like "what we've been hearing is ..." and their source was in fact Dreger.
:laugh::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad