The Nylander Chronicles Part XXI - Legal Drinking Age in the US Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ah... I see. The agents of all of Nylanders comparables should be fired. Nylander alone is setting hte market.

That’s not what I said at all....

But with Pasta in particular he immediately out performed his contract by a fair margin, which makes his agent look quite foolish.

Depending on how Nylander fairs Elhers May wish he hadn’t signed such a long term deal himself, but that’s too soon to tell.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
As far as I can tell... and I'm very VERY confused by it... but a lot of the leaf "fans" here would rather our star players sign for above market value than for our team to be elite long term. I don't get it either...

They are player fans more than team fans. Team first fans want players to sign team friendly contracts to win here long term. They don't want these players for nothing, but at the very least at the low end of comparables.

Reactions: The Rat King

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Pastrnak signed for 6.6x6 after putting up 34 goals/70 points. We simply won't be able to compete with other teams if we're paying more money for (lol) 20 goal/60 point players than our direct competition pays for their 34 goal/70 point players.
What I find interesting is Nylander has an extra year of RFA compared to when Pasta and Ehlers signed there contracts.

I'm sure dubas is trying to hammer that point home. All the comparables produced a similar amount of points or more and had more UFA years bought on there long term deals. 6.5-6.75 x 7 years is more than fair enough. Only outlier is Draisaitl and he played at least a full year as the number 1 C for Oilers before McDavid was drafted. Certainly more of a resume as a center than Nylander at the NHL level.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
That’s not what I said at all....

But with Pasta in particular he immediately out performed his contract by a fair margin, which makes his agent look quite foolish.

Depending on how Nylander fairs Elhers May wish he hadn’t signed such a long term deal himself, but that’s too soon to tell.
No, he had 34 goals, 70 points BEFORE he signed that contract. He signed for 6.6x6. Friendly reminder that Nylander scored (lol) 20 goal/60 points.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
What I find interesting is Nylander has an extra year of RFA compared to when Pasta and Ehlers signed there contracts.

I'm sure dubas is trying to hammer that point home. All the comparables produced a similar amount of points or more and had more UFA years bought on there long term deals. 6.5-6.75 x 7 years is more than fair enough. Only outlier is Draisaitl and he played at least a full year as the number 1 C for Oilers before McDavid was drafted. Certainly more of a resume as a center than Nylander at the NHL level.
No, 30 goal, almost 80 point players are not comparables to (lol) 20 goal/60 point players. They're at a whole other level. It's like saying Marner is a comparable to Hyman.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
For my next job I'm going to hold out for two months and then demand the lost wages back in a signing bonus :sarcasm:
If I could burn that kind of cash, I would bind all 21+ of these threads into a book and burn it at the biggest party.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
No, 30 goal, almost 80 point players are not comparables to (lol) 20 goal/60 point players. They're at a whole other level. It's like saying Marner is a comparable to Hyman.
I get that Pasta's last season before his contract ended was great but I'm sure the Nylander camp will point at consistently as he posted 2 60 points seasons vs a 70 point season and 2 25 point seasons (Pasta didnt play full seasons).

I think they are decent comparables with Pasta getting underpaid perhaps a bit for the number of UFA years bought. Pasta also plays with Marchand and Bergeron which can pad stats

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Pastrnak signed for 6.6x6 after putting up 34 goals/70 points. We simply won't be able to compete with other teams if we're paying more money for (lol) 20 goal/60 point players than our direct competition pays for their 34 goal/70 point players.

He's only a "20 goal/60 point player" because of the minutes Babcock gives him. Over the last two seasons he ranks 45th in 5v5 points/60 mins, and 15th in powerplay points/60 mins.

You're talking about an absolutely elite player whos closest per 60 point comparables over the last two seasons are names like:

Benn, Kuznetsov, Crosby, Backstrom, JVR, Wheeler, Granlund, Kadri, Eichel, and Giroux.

But yes, lets pretend like an extra 2-4 minutes a game wouldnt result in him adding more than 10 points a season.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
He's only a "20 goal/60 point player" because of the minutes Babcock gives him. Over the last two seasons he ranks 45th in 5v5 points/60 mins, and 15th in powerplay points/60 mins.

You're talking about an absolutely elite player whos closest per 60 point comparables over the last two seasons are names like:

Benn, Kuznetsov, Crosby, Backstrom, JVR, Wheeler, Granlund, Kadri, Eichel, and Giroux.

But yes, lets pretend like an extra 2-4 minutes a game wouldnt result in him adding more than 10 points a season.

So every player who spends their elc on the 3rd and 4th lines deserves elite money because "they'd do better on the 1st line with elite players and more toi"?

Imagine Kapanen was never put on the 1st line with Matthews and ended this season with 20 points. Now lets imagine Kapanen puts up 60 points this year on Matthews wing. Are you saying that in both scenarios, Kapanen deserves the same contract? Or do actual numbers matter, regardless of circumstance, like they do with every other comparable to Nylander?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
So every player who spends their elc on the 3rd and 4th lines deserves elite money because "they'd do better on the 1st line with elite players and more toi"?

Imagine Kapanen was never put on the 1st line with Matthews and ended this season with 20 points. Now lets imagine Kapanen puts up 60 points this year on Matthews wing. Are you saying that in both scenarios, Kapanen deserves the same contract? Or do actual numbers matter, regardless of circumstance, like they do with every other comparable to Nylander?

Lmao, you're comparing him based on pure point totals but you have no idea the situation these players play in.

Per 60 stats are a far better way to evaluate players as a guy who plays 20 minutes a game instead of Nylander's 16 should have more points. For f*** sakes thats 328 more minutes a season. A guy scoring at 2.04 5v5 p60 (like Nylander) would add 12 points to his total.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I get that Pasta's last season before his contract ended was great but I'm sure the Nylander camp will point at consistently as he posted 2 60 points seasons vs a 70 point season and 2 25 point seasons (Pasta didnt play full seasons).

I think they are decent comparables with Pasta getting underpaid perhaps a bit for the number of UFA years bought. Pasta also plays with Marchand and Bergeron which can pad stats

Yep.

Folks zero in on the point totals but completely ignore the context (and the fact that Nylander actually had a higher PPG lol) than Pasta

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
With the extra seasons of a bridge , you have more time to plan ahead, move out salary and contracts if need be. If Nylander shows management he’s worth a bigger investment there won’t be this situation again.

If he's been unreasonable in his demands (that's an if) I'm feeding him every point getting opportunity possible and pumping up his value to move him this off-season with 2 more cheap years on his deal and team control after it to max his value

He can fight for whatever he wants, we can also trade him because of it

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I just hope they figure it out soon. I’d like as many months as possible of having this done before we get to the Matthews and Marner contract disputes.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
one thing for sure is there is a bunch of potential rfas that hope nylander comes out on top in these negotiations and alot of g.m's and teams that hope dubas gets the ballpark he wants . the nylander contract will have a snowball effect on the everything . just our luck tho. they get rid of those albatros contracts prior to us being in a position taht we could have benifeted using them lol

the more i think about it i almost hope we give nylander and and marner the kucherov contracts just incase( gives us 3 years to assess there value while stilll keeping them as rfas) mathews needs to be 8 years, there is another major shift after the next cba every cba brings league wide changes it would be nice to come out ahead of one since the last 2 we came out smelling like shit after

Reactions: freshwind

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
My understanding is that Leafs and Nylander have the contract term and dollar amount nailed down, they’re just working out how much the signing bonus will be in the next potential lockout season.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
My understanding is that Leafs and Nylander have the contract term and dollar amount nailed down, they’re just working out how much the signing bonus will be in the next potential lockout season.
Source pls?

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I’ll happily provide it when there is a source for Nylanders ask being 8
the only souce is he hasn't signed yet ,,,I still don't think nylander has as much leverage as THE TORONTO STAR claims
on one hand they admit hed be replacing
josh leivo on the second pp unit ,yet claiming willy holds the cards .
lets make no mistake this is about a player ,his father ,who I might add IMO was overpaid in his career thanks to a brain cramp contract b y Washington .
this about a player ,agent and the boys father claiming their interest is as good or equal to tavaras ,Mathews ,marner kadri etc .
let the agent scour the league ,see how many gm;s would trade their current 6 million dollar guys for nylander ..im betting none would do it straight up
to me this looks more and more like there is an offer sheet or 2 out there ,but the gm;s would rather do a deal ,similar to the kessel deal was with brian burke .
but if its true nylander is holding fast on 8 mill ,nylander has been replaced by tavaras ,
now we need to parlay him intp a replacement for leivo .
that's what I got out of the STAR article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad