The Nylander Chronicles Part XI - Electric Boogaloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
6.66 x 6 = 40 million. Calling it now; signed before Saturday.

Nylander saves face; looks good.

Leafs get pretty fair value for the most part.

Nylander is happy.
The number of the beast!

Does that mean he'll play like one?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
We're a playoff team without Nylander... we don't NEED him...

I'm not saying he won't make us better... How am I going 'way too far' with that statement? Or perhaps you're reading beyond what I'm saying and making assumptions?

Well he makes us better as you said. Added to that we have reclamation projects like Tyler Ennis playing with our best player then we kind of do need him. He's a 60-70 point player now with the potential to score even more. Let's not pretend that's easily replaceable. That's not even getting into other things he does well zone entries, takeaways, PP etc...

I'm not saying give him the $8M that he's rumoured to be asking for, but there's a middle ground here and both sides would be well served to get there when talking about a long term deal.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It won't go down either.

It won’t? You’re expecting a player so bad he was bought out to score 20 goals? You’re out to lunch there.

Beside all that you’re reasoning was “Matthews said he wanted MORE assists”

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well if he makes us better as you said, and if we're just a "a playoff team" added to that we have reclamation projects like Tyler Ennis playing with our best player then we kind of do need him. He's a 60-70 point player now with the potential to score even more. Let's not pretend that's easily replaceable. That's not even getting into other things he does well zone entries, takeaways, PP etc...

I'm not saying give the $8M that he's rumoured to be asking for, but there's a middle ground here and both sides would be well served to get there when talking about a long term deal.
are the Leafs a better team with Willie? Yes, yes they are, but imo improving the D is bigger problem then winger depth. Slot Kappy instead of Ennis and 1st line is drastically improved. Move Nylander for help on the blue line, drop Hainsey down the line up and boom, teams instantly better.

Reactions: Al14

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
are the Leafs a better team with Willie? Yes, yes they are, but imo improving the D is bigger problem then winger depth. Slot Kappy instead of Ennis and 1st line is drastically improved. Move Nylander for help on the blue line, drop Hainsey down the line up and boom, teams instantly better.

Or we keep Nylander, trade one of the other wingers (at some point) and maybe sort this system that we're trying do out.

That's what I'd prefer.

Reactions: freshwind

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Why are we all turning on the player and supporting management. I refuse to do that. There is a market value for Willie, and the unknown variable of him being still very young and his potential being still unknown.

It's not his fault the team is going to have cap issues. I'm sure he is willing to be flexible, but why he has to 'cave' so the Leafs can get his as cheap as they can is not really fair to him either. And what of Marner? i am not seeing a player in Marner that is head and shoulders better than Willie, if he should then sign for way about Nylander..

Lots of variables here.

IDK why in gawds name why folks are freaking out about a marner contract

how about this, lets wait and see what he does in this contract season before we worry about that.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
So teams will pay for a holdout RFA that wants to be overpaid? Who's lining up for this **** show?, especially since the team that just traded for him has to sign him straight away or look like complete morons

Bridge him, then trade him next off-season

If he sits out the entire year it's bad for us to, his value tanks and he's not on the team helping us win games this season
carolina reported they called and he wasnt up for trade imagine if he was. teams want young stars in the making, nylander getting 7ish isnt a terrible contract its just not a good contract for hi age.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I hate how everything is so hush hush about this entire ordeal. There's no rumours or anything

Leafs management is very discreet

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
or sign him to a 1 year, 10 million dollar deal (while we have the cap space)
followed by a 7 year, 46 million dollar deal.

total = 56 million = 7 million per year.
cap hit for year 1 = 10 million.
cap hit for next 7 years = 6.57 million.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
carolina reported they called and he wasnt up for trade imagine if he was. teams want young stars in the making, nylander getting 7ish isnt a terrible contract its just not a good contract for hi age.

People on here and Dreger say he's dug in and wants over 8M
Carolina is a budget team, I seriously doubt they want that ticket

I'd also imagine a lot of teams are circling right now in the hopes we'll become impatient and look to throw him overboard on the cheap

There's a reason Trouba never got moved even though plenty of teams would have wanted to acquire him

Reactions: dsred and freshwind

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I hate how everything is so hush hush about this entire ordeal. There's no rumours or anything

Leafs management is very discreet

What do you mean? There are rumours.

He wants 8M. Leafs offering closer to 6M, etc.

What kind of rumors do u expect?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
and just how much are you willing to sign Nylander for? If it's anything over 6.75 it's a mistake, in fact anything over 6.5 is probably a mistake.

Why is it?

Never mind the points, if any of Matthews, Tavares or Kadri miss games who fills in at C? Also at 6.75 for example, isn't that pretty nice comparable to Marner if the point gap between them is between 5-10?

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
It won’t? You’re expecting a player so bad he was bought out to score 20 goals? You’re out to lunch there.

Beside all that you’re reasoning was “Matthews said he wanted MORE assists”
I said Matthews assists won't go down. You can't have 2 guys on your line worse at scoring than Nylander and Hyman last year. Marleau and Ennis aren't good, but they aren't any worse either. For the $7 million Willie wants, I can get a much better scorer.

Reactions: dsred

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If Nylander is dug in at 8 million, say goodbye and get a young solid top 4 defenceman.

Reactions: dsred

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
People on here and Dreger say he's dug in and wants over 8M
Carolina is a budget team, I seriously doubt they want that ticket

I'd also imagine a lot of teams are circling right now in the hopes we'll become impatient and look to throw him overboard on the cheap

There's a reason Trouba never got moved even though plenty of teams would have wanted to acquire him
offers will come you cant say for sure if they will be bad or not, and hes not getting 8 from anyone in the league thats ridiculous even if willy wants it its not happening.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Dreger just said on Overdrive he still thinks Willie is at 8. Just sayin.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
i'd argue, Nylander sitting out because he 'needs to think about himself/his future' and can't make it work on a 6.1-6.5 contract (because I doubt very much the Leafs offered him 5.9 or lower), did it to himself. He hasn't done much to earn more than 6.5++. Him sitting out and hurting the team - is a reason (for some) to be a whipping boy to some.

also. just because Nylander is your fan favourite doesn't mean he's everyone else's fan favourite. people aren't entitled to love Nylander simply because he's on the team. (this doesn't excuse utter stupidity but other than that.. )

Seems weird that a home grown player with elite offensive abilities is not a fan favourite, like we’ve been swimming in talent and we get these guys in the draft all the time. The guy has put up better numbers than Tavares the first couple of years in the league and has been front and Center in the big three for the Leafs renaissance yet we don’t have to like him. Weird.

Reactions: Rare Jewel

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Can a team shut down negotiations? Just give him to NOV 1st and then say we can continue next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad