OT: The Nostalgic Ottawa Thread.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Aren't they still on Metcalfe somewhere?

Naw they're something else now. They stopped selling cigarettes so they couldn't get away with the name anymore haha.

Back in the day it was an awesome shop though. All the magazines, and big newspapers from around the world. Quality cigars. Towards the end it was filled with the random crap you find in chapters and gift shops.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Naw they're something else now. They stopped selling cigarettes so they couldn't get away with the name anymore haha.

Back in the day it was an awesome shop though. All the magazines, and big newspapers from around the world. Quality cigars. Towards the end it was filled with the random crap you find in chapters and gift shops.

Damn. I liked going there on occasion for the magazines. They had a lot of reads you couldn't find anywhere else.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Some of the buses in the early 80's were still manual with a really long stick shift. I think all of the mini buses were. nothing like a fresh blanket of snow and taking rides holding on to the bumpers snow skiing style lol.

hqdefault.jpg

Sky booting was insanely dangerous... but, man, it was fun and pretty cool! lol

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Damn. I liked going there on occasion for the magazines. They had a lot of reads you couldn't find anywhere else.

Mags and Fags is still in the exact same location. They just changed their name to the Gifted Type. They still have a good selection of magazines for a current day store, but have added a lot of other stuff too. They also used to be the place to go for international newspapers before the Internet made selling those pretty much obsolete.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I remember going to the arcade and playing video games, pinball machines at Shoppers City West Mall at Baseline and Woodroffe.
Also shopping at Consumers Distributing a catalog store.
And Skateway Roller Disco off Greenbank Road.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I remember going to the arcade and playing video games, pinball machines at Shoppers City West Mall at Baseline and Woodroffe.

lol, I did the same thing at Shoppers City East on Ogilvie. I'd play mostly pinball at the arcade at the little strip mall behind the main stores. At that time, Sears had a furniture store right beside the grocery store. It was nice and dark inside, with the air conditioning turned up, and you could sit (and eventually fall asleep) on the nice comfy couches they had on display.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There used to be an arcade across the street from the old Britannia 6 cinema's (now Coliseum) that was just the best. I think it was called the Wizard. Billings bridge had a decent arcade. Back in the day every corner store had at least 1 arcade machine in them. The Broken Cue too.....oh the memories.

Anyone remember Nabu Networks? The internet before the internet we know now, and from Ottawa.

nabupc.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: emo

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
There used to be an arcade across the street from the old Britannia 6 cinema's (now Coliseum) that was just the best. I think it was called the Wizard. Billings bridge had a decent arcade. Back in the day every corner store had at least 1 arcade machine in them. The Broken Cue too.....oh the memories.

Anyone remember Nabu Networks? The internet before the internet we know now, and from Ottawa.

I remember playing Punch-Out at the Billing’s Bridge Mall arcade.

There was a great arcade on Bank Street too. It was 2 or 3 floors of quality arcade games.

emo

Aug 25, 2003
Cap City
Visit site

Loved The Wizard arcade!

I really miss I.P. Looney's.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It closed a long time ago. I think it was a Lonestar at some point. I don't know now.

It’s still a Lone Star.

It’s the wooden building at the St. Laurent northbound off-ramp.

I went to IP Looneys from time to time and stayed at the Chimo Inn.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Reddi Chef on Woodroffe= wedge fries
Ponderosa Steak house
The Lido, Club Casonova, The Chaudiere, Chez Henri, Zap ( being 18 and going to night clubs)

Reactions: thinkwild

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->