The Nostalgia Thread: Remembering the "Generation X" Era (2001-2006)

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I still believe that Koltsov, in his prime, was a faster skater than today's McDavid.

Just imagine if Koltsov had the equipment and especially skates of today. I mean, tech has progressed a lot the last 15 years.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Was this the game that ended 1-0? Leafs won on a penalty shot. And the third period was something like 25 minutes long. I was there near the glass. Man, those tickets were easy to get.

I don't remember the score, just the Leafs fans and the smell of an electrical fire, which was especially bad out on the concourse. I was on the side home warms up on in the first row of the second section. If anyone remembers, that's the section that SUGAR used to sit in (big, 400 pound dude with an 80s Jersey that said SUGAR).

Strange thing is, I don't think very many people left the game.

Bnat66

May 10, 2017
New Jersey
You know, they sucked but I still really enjoyed watching hockey in those years. Plus those guys just seemed so happy to play it was amazing. I often wonder what would have happened had we not had the lockout, I mean guys like Kraft were starting to make their mark in the NHL I thought.

Also, I really believe Morozov could have been an EXCELLENT winger for Sid or Malkin. If you have the hockey sense to hang with Mario and put up the points, you would play well with Sid and Geno. Morozov was a really soft player who was put on the third line for most of his tenure with the Pens and when he was tried on the top line he was paired with Jagr, and a pure finisher has never worked well with Jags, ever.

Oh well, that Morozov raising the penguin logo on his jersey is my all time favorite Penguin memory-yes even through the cups. I think I actually had tears running down my face in the stands.

Good times, helps put things in perspective.
Wow I remember him doing that and is the first time I heard it mentioned since then.

lordstanley91

Jan 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Wow I remember him doing that and is the first time I heard it mentioned since then.
I remember seeing that goal and jumping up off the couch to celebrate like we won the cup. I was proud to be a Pens fan that night because Morozov was still proud to be a Pen even when it was brutal most nights.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I am still predicting a major major depression when Crosby and Malkin retire. I am prepared for the worst season since this Gen X era when they do hang 'em up. I also wouldn't be surprised if they miss the playoffs and have a less than .500 season or two.

I am in no way looking forward to a Crosby / Malkin-less team.
:eek:

That I think about this post - the best and worst thing about Sid/Geno is that they will (Sid most obviously and most likely Geno) remain Penguins until retirement and while that is great there will be nothing coming in at all, ie: no trades no picks.
So them leaving retiring will hit extra hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad