The Nostalgia Thread: Remembering the "Generation X" Era (2001-2006)

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
I wish Morozov would have come back over after the lockout, that would have been dynamite for the Penguins in the early Crosby/Malkin era. Imaging having a prime aged Morozov playing with Crosby and Malkin at the beginning of their careers, he'd be the 2nd best winger the Penguins had in those years most likely. Hell, Morozov was successful in the KHL until he retired in 2014, so the Penguins could have had him for nearly a decade of Crosby and Malkin.

Could have gotten the 2000-01 band back together after the lockout, something like:

Straka - Crosby - Recchi
Morozov - Malkin - Sykora
Lemieux - Hrdina / Lang - Kovalev
Malone - Staal - Armstrong
Talbot, Kennedy

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I am still predicting a major major depression when Crosby and Malkin retire. I am prepared for the worst season since this Gen X era when they do hang 'em up. I also wouldn't be surprised if they miss the playoffs and have a less than .500 season or two.

I am in no way looking forward to a Crosby / Malkin-less team.
:eek:

Reactions: BHD and EightyOne

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
I remember those days was still a fan I remember hoping guys like Robert Dome, Kris Beech and Michal Sivek would turn into good players.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I am still predicting a major major depression when Crosby and Malkin retire. I am prepared for the worst season since this Gen X era when they do hang 'em up. I also wouldn't be surprised if they miss the playoffs and have a less than .500 season or two.

I am in no way looking forward to a Crosby / Malkin-less team.
:eek:

I kind of am. Crosby and Malkin have basically done everything. Be nice to get a new group of guys to live and die with.

Also, if we get another elite talent people will just cry even more.

Reactions: orby and shoplifter

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I remember those days was still a fan I remember hoping guys like Robert Dome, Kris Beech and Michal Sivek would turn into good players.

I don't think I ever thought I hoped those guys would be good because I know we all knew they wouldn't be good.

I just wanted them to try not to lose 8-1 against the Thrashers and not be the very bottom of the league.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Rooting for a shitty team was easy. You had no expectations--or at least no good ones--so when they played well or won it was awesome. It's kind of a weird thing with an elite team, chock full of superstars. Losing sucks a lot more. :laugh:

The Dark Ages sucked as far as on-ice product goes, but they had their own special type of charm. I kinda miss 'em sometimes when Madden's on his umpteenth tirade about Geno being a weak, selfish Russian who's gonna run to Russia any day or Ryan Wilson's thumping a print out of advanced stats like a bible, screaming that Kunitz is an elite, top line player who makes Sid better.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Could have gotten the 2000-01 band back together after the lockout, something like:

Straka - Crosby - Recchi
Morozov - Malkin - Sykora
Lemieux - Hrdina / Lang - Kovalev
Malone - Staal - Armstrong
Talbot, Kennedy

One of the more underrated Pens of all time. I'll never forget that goal on Brodeur in game 7. Nor the goal in OT in 01 to eliminate the Caps. The building was shaking after that one.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Mike Eastwood, Matt Bradley, Konstantine Koltsov, Josef Melichar
Were the only 4 guys to play all 82 games is the 03-04 season.

All 4 combined for 23 Goals.

Our top goal scorer was Malone with a barn burning 22.

Top 3 points leaders
Tarnstrom - 52
Morozov - 50
Malone - 43

Caron with a 3.74 GAA and a .883 SV%

Good times.

Reactions: BHD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Top 3 points leaders
Tarnstrom - 52
Morozov - 50
Malone - 43

Good times.

A lot like todays Canadiens

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Top 3 points leaders
Tarnstrom - 52
Morozov - 50
Malone - 43

Good times.

Bringing up Malone made me check out that contract and completely forget Simon Gagne was a Tampa Bay Lightning.

Reactions: billybudd

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
This is like nostalgia for the Great Depression. Sure, some good stuff happened during those times, but it's a major bummer overall.

Reactions: billybudd

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I didn't notice this thread was 10 years old at first, but I came to post this video.

Koltsov was the weirdest fast player I've ever seen. It looked like he was gliding until you realized he was gaining a ton of ground on everyone on the ice (not that he did anything with it).

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Anyone remember the night the ultra-defensive Minnesota Wild burst out to a 5-0 lead on a Rico Fata-less Penguins team and the lights went out in Mellon Arena in the middle of the first period?

Pretty sure I was there. Building smelled like an electrical fire, iirc.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Top 3 points leaders
Tarnstrom - 52
Morozov - 50
Malone - 43

Good times.

Bradley seems like the type of guy who's about to be on an HBO story about athletes who had too many concussions.

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
2000-01 top six was great!!.
Hrdina-Lemieux-Jagr
Lang-Straka-kovalev

But after that the Pens had no secondary scoring after the top 6 that season. But I always wished Mario came back 2 year earlier.

Barnes-Lemeuix-Morozov
Titov-Hrdina-Jagr
Straka-Lang-Kovalev
And you have guys like Kip Miller and Rob Brown for depth on the 4th line.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I thought that happened in a game against the Leafs? It probably happened multiple times though...

Think the game I was at was against Toronto, now that you mention it. I seem to remember Leafs fans joking about how maybe Mario will get a new arena with national exposure of how bad this one was. May have been HniC, or, at least, a CBC game.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Think the game I was at was against Toronto, now that you mention it. I seem to remember Leafs fans joking about how maybe Mario will get a new arena with national exposure of how bad this one was. May have been HniC, or, at least, a CBC game.

Was this the game that ended 1-0? Leafs won on a penalty shot. And the third period was something like 25 minutes long. I was there near the glass. Man, those tickets were easy to get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad