The North London thread: Tottenham vs Arsenal

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Catastrophic for Spurs getting rid of a manager that at the moment clearly doesn't want to be there? What is catastrophic is having a grumpy Pochettino. Especially since I have no idea why he is so grumpy. By all accounts he wanted N'Dombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon - which is what he got.

Obviously I hope it is just a phase, but.......... if he continues sulking the catastrophic part would be to hang on to someone that currently doing at 1 point per game. Great if you are a D in the NHL - not so spectacular of your are coaching Spurs (remember - he is just the coach). Not that Spurs should be in any hurry. I doubt the team will be relegated so if you end up 7th or 14th isn't really of much consequence.

Last year Arsenal ran over Spurs at the Emirates. Expecting more of the same this weekend. Would not be shocked if it ends up 4-0 or something. Not because Arsenal are that good, but Spurs are just that bad at the moment.

Will be interesting to see if Pochettino keeps on behaving like a big baby this weekend. If so Levy should start discussing terms with Blanc. Losing games, playing poorly etc. happens to all teams, but different when the managers almost just quits.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Completely different Pochettino again in the pre-Arsenal press conference. Seems happy again. No moaning and no silly mini-rants.

I don´t think that necessarily means Spurs are a football team again, but certainly a good first step.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Apparently Spurs were paying other players more than Campbell before he left for Arsenal

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
After the latest meeting today, Arsenal now has only 2 wins in their past 11 matches vs Tottenham.
Duh, when you put out one of the worst defensive teams the club has seen since the 1980s, of course those stats will come up. Arsenal probably have similar stats against Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, and whoever else as well. It doesn't dictate that Spurs are like this amazing team though. The only team we've been pretty good against has been Man United and even then I suggest the stats would be around 50/50.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
upload_2020-12-6_13-44-13.jpeg

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Should be careful what one writes in this thread - 20 years from now things might have changed again.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Things haven't "changed" because Spurs are ahead of us in the league, they have still achieved nothing. They are still 11 league titles away and they need to make that gap smaller before claiming to be the best team in North London.

To be more successful overall, they also need 7 more FA Cups and they also need to win the league at our stadium. Twice. They also need to go unbeaten for a full season after stealing our captain and best player on a free.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Of course they have changed - I think you need to look up what the word "change" means.

I remember a time when it was rather common among Spursfans to believe that we would never again compete with Arsenal - on the pitch or off the pitch (financially). Oh have things changed.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Things have changed I guess but there has not been a power shift.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Football might end up being as different from today 50 years from now as it was 50 years back in time. So who knows - but I can, realistically, never see a situation where either club will dominate the other the way Arsenal dominated Spurs under most of Wenger's time in charge. Just the perfect storm for Arsenal (and the three others) getting that CL money that segmented a top 4.

Kind of astonishing how little long term benefits those clubs got from that. Arsenal built a stadium at least - even if that is a %""%" design for a stadium (not thinking about the visuals, but the way the stands are designed meaning you are miles away from the pitch).

And I am under no illusions that Arsenal won't be good again. A bit like Liverpool looking lost for then a couple of years later being the best team in Europe. Arguably Arsenal got more potential than Liverpool - because of London.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Things haven't "changed" because Spurs are ahead of us in the league, they have still achieved nothing. They are still 11 league titles away and they need to make that gap smaller before claiming to be the best team in North London.

One team is in 1st, and one is 15th.

The team in 1st is the best team.

Maths.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The present has not brought Tottenham any meaningful silverware, while it has for Arsenal ( although the FA cup isn’t a large acheivment for Arsenal). We will see if that changes.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
All I'm going to say is that I much, much, much prefer Spurs current situation over Arsenal's current situation.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
All I'm going to say is that I much, much, much prefer Spurs current situation over Arsenal's current situation.

Yeah. My brother is a Villa-fan, but somehow it seems like I get more from watching Spurs win than he gets from thinking about all the league titles they won 100 years before he was even born.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The present has not brought Tottenham any meaningful silverware, while it has for Arsenal ( although the FA cup isn’t a large acheivment for Arsenal). We will see if that changes.
What if Spurs win the title this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad