GDT: The North Jersey Showdow|Jackets@Devils|7:00 p.m.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You could see it in Cam's face after the game. These guys are in absolute shock. Giddy now, because they got two points out of it. But shocked. They burned through the last of their mental strength by about 5 minutes into the second period. They acted after the shootout like they had just gone through a war together. Let's hope it's at least a bonding experience or a growth moment.

Davidge said it in the postgame, Cam was vacant. "This team was not physically flat, they're mentally stale." That's exactly right. That's not the way you play when you are relaxed, lazy, or physically tired. It's the way you play when you are suffering from nervous exhaustion.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
You could see it in Cam's face after the game. These guys are in absolute shock. Giddy now, because they got two points out of it. But shocked. They burned through the last of their mental strength by about 5 minutes into the second period. They acted after the shootout like they had just gone through a war together. Let's hope it's at least a bonding experience or a growth moment.

Davidge said it in the postgame, Cam was vacant. "This team was not physically flat, they're mentally stale." That's exactly right. That's not the way you play when you are relaxed, lazy, or physically tired. It's the way you play when you are suffering from nervous exhaustion.
Agree... but why? The CBJ need a team meeting with Bob in the middle...

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Caps best match up. CBJ would be lucky to score 2 goals in 4 games against the Isles

We don’t even know which one of them’s gonna win the division anyway (if either of them even do). I’d rather play the Isles but I don’t think the odds are that different against them or the Caps, and we don’t know if WC1 will play the Caps or if 3rd in Metro will. Just:

a) get in; and
b) avoid WC2

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It won’t happen, but

As awful as it’s been. If they can take 3/4 points against Pittsburgh, they’re still in decent shape. 2/4 isn’t ideal, and anything less is the dagger.

AZRoadRunner

CBJ Tucson
Mar 29, 2014
Arizona
Over the past 3+ years, this team has always faltered when they have expectations. The bigger the expectations, the bigger the failure.
Yep. And Jarmo dropped a $hit-ton of expectations on this team at the deadline. I see parallels with the Caps during the Ovi era. Year after year - good to great regular seasons, but could never get out of the 2nd round. Could never get past the Pens. Caps always wilted in the biggest moments. Until last year. Some of the credit to Trotz for helping change the culture - but even then, their break-through last year was in Trotz's 4th season with the Caps. Once the Caps slayed the Pens dragon, you could almost see the weight lift from their shoulders. Something like that needs to happen with the Jackets - maybe Thursday's game would be a good place to start.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Link to presser please.
7fd0f2c52fd040d99b634bbc7ea86ef107207d77_00.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You can't judge talent after a game like this, but you can judge for leadership qualities. I was looking at the body language of guys, trying to find out who was flailing around and who had some ice in their veins. And most of the team was flailing. Seth is rattled far too easily, and he was the worst of the bunch tonight. It's the number one thing I hope he works on, he needs a guru.

Foligno and Jenner worked their asses off, but are inconsistent in other ways - when you need someone to lead by making a simple pass they are not your go to guys. Cam sulks when he gets down. Anderson played his game tonight (at least I think so), but he's a loose cannon and you want to keep him that way. So where's the leadership of this team? Most everyone else of note is super quiet or super young. I'm not trying to debate who should wear the letters, that's not as important, I want to know who they can follow when things get this bad.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Live to fight another day. Not a win or loss in terms of standing.

I won't come back and be a "told ya so" guy, but Thursday could get ugly quick. I don't understand how fragile they have become. The reality is that this is the team's (as currently constructed) last crack at it. They know the pressure is on and they're cracking under it. It's that simple.

No offense to NJ but this should have been a confidence booster game. We leave with 2 points but even more self doubt.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Just a thought.... did trading Duke have a negative impact on the room???

who knows. but Duclair now has more points than Dzingel. has more goals than duchene and tied with duchene in points since being traded to the Belleville Senators.. I mean, Ottawa.

comical really.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad