GDT: The North Jersey Showdow|Jackets@Devils|7:00 p.m.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
giphy.gif

Reactions: MoeBartoli

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Morale at a low. I’m going to be prepared with pizza and sides so I can drown myself in non-beer carbs if CBJ continue the blow-streak.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I really hope this is the kind of game that can get the team back on track.

Since NJ is a team that we should and usually do beat, Torts would be wise to try to experiment offensively. See what happens if we play a fast transition game, or change our zone entry to "carry in and pull up for a pass". See what happens defensively if we tell the defensemen to let the forwards focus on offense, and stop pinching on 50/50 pucks.

Try these things for just one game, and see if it's an improvement. If not then we can go back to the other "system" for the next game. What would upset me is if we see little to no adjustments from the previous games, and no better a result, even if we win.

On a smaller note, tell Harrington that he's not Seth Jones and he should never be below the offensive zone faceoff dots. I always find it incredible when I see him there.

I don't know what it's going to take to stop shitting the bed at home, but we might as well take advantage of the away and "easy" games we have left.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I finally got around to renewing my season tickets last night. Don't make me regret that decision. Tonight is important because it is a team we should beat. The Pittsburgh games are important because we need to keep them from getting points in addition to the CBJ getting them. #NoOT

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I really hope this is the kind of game that can get the team back on track.

Since NJ is a team that we should and usually do beat, Torts would be wise to try to experiment offensively. See what happens if we play a fast transition game, or change our zone entry to "carry in and pull up for a pass". See what happens defensively if we tell the defensemen to let the forwards focus on offense, and stop pinching on 50/50 pucks.

Try these things for just one game, and see if it's an improvement. If not then we can go back to the other "system" for the next game. What would upset me is if we see little to no adjustments from the previous games, and no better a result, even if we win.

On a smaller note, tell Harrington that he's not Seth Jones and he should never be below the offensive zone faceoff dots. I always find it incredible when I see him there.

I don't know what it's going to take to stop ****ting the bed at home, but we might as well take advantage of the away and "easy" games we have left.

I'd also be very curious to see the Jackets try a "neutral zone carry" approach. I don't know if that can be done as a one game experiment though, even against New Jersey. It has some downsides. I think you'll see more neutral zone turnovers and 3 v 2s against, so I'm a bit wary there. I think we've also seen enough that when the D aren't pinching, we just can't sustain any pressure. One and done possessions over and over again. Maybe not pinch on 50/50 pucks though - I doubt the D are literally advised to go after 50/50 pucks, they just sometimes misread plays or get a bad bounce.

And I want to make sure we don't blame the players for doing what the coach wants them to do. Torts loves it when Harry wades down there. And in some cases, I think it's useful. If there's no Jackets forward in the right spot and he can do it, he should, it's better than letting the opposition have a clean breakout.

Reactions: GoJackets1

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'd also be very curious to see the Jackets try a "neutral zone carry" approach. I don't know if that can be done as a one game experiment though, even against New Jersey. It has some downsides. I think you'll see more neutral zone turnovers and 3 v 2s against, so I'm a bit wary there. I think we've also seen enough that when the D aren't pinching, we just can't sustain any pressure. One and done possessions over and over again. Maybe not pinch on 50/50 pucks though - I doubt the D are literally advised to go after 50/50 pucks, they just sometimes misread plays or get a bad bounce.

And I want to make sure we don't blame the players for doing what the coach wants them to do. Torts loves it when Harry wades down there. And in some cases, I think it's useful. If there's no Jackets forward in the right spot and he can do it, he should, it's better than letting the opposition have a clean breakout.
I definitely agree in regards to the 50/50 pucks. My concern lies in the idea that I think some of our defensemen can get caught up in the idea of "added pressure" that comes with safe is death, and view 40/60 or even 30/70 pucks as 50/50. So I'm not intending to blame the players, and don't want to do that either. It often turns out fine when Seth does it, but Werenski and Harry specifically struggle with it because more often than not, they lose the battle and then don't have anywhere near the speed to get back in time to cover the inevitable odd man rush going the other way.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I definitely agree in regards to the 50/50 pucks. My concern lies in the idea that I think some of our defensemen can get caught up in the idea of "added pressure" that comes with safe is death, and view 40/60 or even 30/70 pucks as 50/50. So I'm not intending to blame the players, and don't want to do that either. It often turns out fine when Seth does it, but Werenski and Harry specifically struggle with it because more often than not, they lose the battle and then don't have anywhere near the speed to get back in time to cover the inevitable odd man rush going the other way.

I feel like I've seen lately more odd mans against from ill advised 4 on 3's and 4 on 2's than from pinches on the wall. That's where I think Torts' approach sticks out relative to other coaches strategies - it's in getting D on the rush, sometimes both of them. We've seen how devastating it is when the other team's D pinches on us over and over again and we can't get out of our zone, I think that kind of pressure is essential. Anyways - it's hard to see if we even disagree on anything here - we'd have to look at specific plays.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad