The NJ Devils Goaltender Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Ya, but I'm talking about the softies from the high/mid point. Also, it would be nice to have a goalie that's mentally tough, although the winless streak and own-goals he went through was pretty extraordinary.
Cory put up very good #'s for 3 years behind a pretty lousy team. I think an injury that severely limits ones play will affect any players confidence, but especially a goalie's.

So I'm not worried about Cory's mental toughness. If he can stay healthy, and that is a legit concern going fwd, but if he can, then I'm confident he will be fine.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Blackwood's save percentage goes down one point after this game to .916%.

Still a shitload better than that idiot Kinkaid.

And if you take away his games against Calgary, Washington and 3 on 3 shots faced, it goes up to .930%!:sarcasm:

And if we didn't have half an AHL roster, it would be .920% overall!:sarcasm:

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Blackwood's save percentage goes down one point after this game to .916%.

Still a ****load better than that idiot Kinkaid.

And if you take away his games against Calgary, Washington and 3 on 3 shots faced, it goes up to .930%!:sarcasm:

And if we didn't have half an AHL roster, it would be .920% overall!:sarcasm:
Please, stop. You’re going to Beetlejuice the cavalry.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Eye test and stats confirm Blackwood has been the best goalie on the team this year.

Change my mind.

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Eye test and stats confirm Blackwood has been the best goalie on the team this year.

Change my mind.
Cory of late has probably been better, but he was so bad early it skews his season.

Don't think anyone is going to argue for Kink in this one.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory of late has probably been better, but he was so bad early it skews his season.

Don't think anyone is going to argue for Kink in this one.
As I've told you (and I know everybody gives me shit about it, but they can't prove that he will bounce back any more than I can't prove he won't) I'm not convinced Cory will be above average next year.

I think he's not as bad as he was earlier this year, which looked a old man out of retirement, but I don't think he's gonna be good again. At least not as a starter. And if he is, I think it will be a one year thing, which I said even before this season started. The odds are against him returning to what he was in his 20's, even outside of just the injuries. Age also plays a factor.

Only Rinne (in recent memory) has come back from being poor for 2 or 3 seasons and looked good again. And even he had a one year comeback, before reverting back to the declining version for one more year, before having 3 solid years in a row afterwards.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
As I've told you (and I know everybody gives me **** about it, but they can't prove that he will bounce back any more than I can't prove he won't) I'm not convinced Cory will be above average next year.

I think he's not as bad as he was earlier this year, which looked a old man out of retirement, but I don't think he's gonna be good again. At least not as a starter. And if he is, I think it will be a one year thing, which I said even before this season started. The odds are against him returning to what he was in his 20's, even outside of just the injuries. Age also plays a factor.

Only Rinne (in recent memory) has come back from being poor for 2 or 3 seasons and looked good again. And even he had a one year comeback, before reverting back to the declining version for one more year, before having 3 solid years in a row afterwards.
What does any of this have to do with who has been our best goalie this year?

This is why people give you shit.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What does any of this have to do with who has been our best goalie this year?

This is why people give you ****.
Because people use 15 or 16 games to proclaim Cory is back...

I can't prove he won't bounce back, nor can you or any of the ''Cory is great! He's back!'' crowd prove he will over a full season.

None of us are right as of this moment.

I'm sure if he isn't good next year, it will be the defense's fault or Hynes or something.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Because people use 15 or 16 games to proclaim Cory is back...

I can't prove he won't bounce back, nor can you or any of the ''Cory is great! He's back!'' crowd prove he will over a full season.

None of us are right as of this moment.

I'm sure if he isn't good next year, it will be the defense's fault or Hynes or something.
But that wasn't the topic. You were talking about who's been the best goalie this year, not who will be the best goalie next year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
But that wasn't the topic. You were talking about who's been the best goalie this year, not who will be the best goalie next year.
Because I already had to see a ''Cory of late has probably been better'' which is based on 16 games that followed the worst 9 games of goaltending we've probably ever witnessed from a Devils goaltender.

Blackwood has been the best this year.

Kinkaid has been by far the worst, despite how bad Cory's first 9 games were.

I don't expect Cory to be the best next year, unless he defies all odds or Blackwood rally implodes.

Reactions: Nubmer6

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Eh, I don't really think there is. I mean, Bleed can only cite Cory's save percentage since an arbitrary point in 2017 25 or 30 times over the course of a summer.

Cory's not necessarily back, but that monster who inhabited Cory's body in 2018 is gone.

Dude, you really think Bleed is limited as to how many times he can post Cory's save %? I think he could make a run at infinity.

It is pretty odd though that Cory was completely abysmal for exactly the year of 2018. Oct -Dec of 2017, really good #'s. 2019, really good #'s. 2018? Guy didn't even belong in the league(with the playoffs being a slight caveat).

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's a whole summer of this coming up. Steel yourself my friends.
As opposed to a whole summer of having to hear he’s back and good again and how I should eat crow because of a 17 strong games after the worst 25-30 game stretch a goalie has had in I don’t know how many years? And 3 consecutive seasons of .90-somethinf goaltending? “He’s elite again bro!”.

But this is the land where recent trends are more indicative of where you are currently as a player. Even Drew Stafford is creating buzz over his recent hot streak....

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
As opposed to a whole summer of having to hear he’s back and good again and how I should eat crow because of a 17 strong games after the worst 25-30 game stretch a goalie has had in I don’t know how many years? And 3 consecutive seasons of .90-somethinf goaltending? “He’s elite again bro!”.

But this is the land where recent trends are more indicative of where you are currently as a player. Even Drew Stafford is creating buzz over his recent hot streak....

Cory's back bro just embrace it

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I’d expect that the truth will lie somewhere in between. Your skepticism of Cory is based on a statistical analysis but the eye test suggests he is doing things now that he couldn’t do prior to his return from his abdominal injury. Given his age and injury history how long it will last is anyone’s guess but I think his rebound has earned him the benefit of the doubt heading into next season. I’d agree that a split with Cory and MBW would be preferable to a situation where Cory is starting something approaching or exceeding 50 games.

Reactions: GameSeven

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Eh, I don't really think there is. I mean, Bleed can only cite Cory's save percentage since an arbitrary point in 2017 25 or 30 times over the course of a summer.
That’s 2016, not 2017.

And just because it’s been a while and he’s accumulated 16 more games since the last time I did this, since November 17th of 2016, Schneider’s save percentage is .906%.

That’s 117 games and even includes the 4 playoff games he played.

Isn’t it possible that his 16 games of .925% goaltending since the last injury are not really indicative of what he is now, nor is the .87-something% he was from the end of 2017 through 2018? Brodeur had a 60+ game stretch of .920% goaltending from February of 2012 through February of 2013.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’d expect that the truth will lie somewhere in between. Your skepticism of Cory is based on a statistical analysis but the eye test suggests he is doing things now that he couldn’t do prior to his return from his abdominal injury. Given his age and injury history how long it will last is anyone’s guess but I think his rebound has earned him the benefit of the doubt heading into next season. I’d agree that a split with Cory and MBW would be preferable to a situation where Cory is starting something approaching or exceeding 50 games.
It probably is somewhere in between.

I don’t think the odds are very favorable that Cory is a .925% goaltender over a full season (say 50 games?) like he has been for 16 games now.

He clearly isn’t as bad as he was to start the year and I don’t think he’s as good as he’s been since he came back.

But like Stafford, I realize many here base things off recent sample sizes.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That’s 2016, not 2017.

And just because it’s been a while and he’s accumulated 16 more games since the last time I did this, since November 17th of 2016, Schneider’s save percentage is .906%.

That’s 117 games and even includes the 4 playoff games he played.

Isn’t it possible that his 16 games of .925% goaltending since the last injury are not really indicative of what he is now, nor is the .87-something% he was from the end of 2017 through 2018? Brodeur had a 60+ game stretch of .920% goaltending from February of 2012 through February of 2013.

I don't know why this is in response to me. I'm aware of how streaky goaltending can be. My point was that Cory's okay now. He probably won't be great - his age and injury history will probably keep him from that - but as long as he can be okay that's enough for now.

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad