Post-Game Talk: The night the cannons fell silent.

POTM

• Total voters

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I had thought of Hudon but then figured he had more value than Weise and would likely get claimed if he were waived. If we're taking on two years of Weise's overpaid contract and trading Hudon, I don't know, I'd want better than a 3rd. Is this unreasonable?
I think it is unreasonable. Philly is near the bottom of the league. That 2nd is pretty much a late 1st.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm hoping since Flyers play Habs next, there waiting until that game is over to trade him to Montreal...lol

I wonder if this guy knows anything ...

We've had rumors from him on this site but can't remember anything that panned out.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think he meant it as a joke. The flyers traveled to Montreal for tomorrows game, but Weise didnt come with them

OK, now I see how he meant it -- only in relation to this particular trip by the Flyers to Montreal. Kind of a misleading tweet in that case.

Reactions: Habaneros

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Man when the Habs show up ready to play they can compete with anyone.
Games this year against Boston at home, Nashville, Minnesota, Edmonton and St Louis really frustrating for me though. Losing the home opener against LA at home was tough to watch as well.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Man when the Habs show up ready to play they can compete with anyone.
Games this year against Boston at home, Nashville, Minnesota, Edmonton and St Louis really frustrating for me though. Losing the home opener against LA at home was tough to watch as well.
82 game schedule will do that

Reactions: Uncle Gary

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015

does anyone have Niemi's over the same period? Not being a smart ass, just genuinely curious (but not enough to look it up.)

I am really beginning to like Weber. It's not that I hated him, but the way we got him...well you know...but one thing I do notice is how much he forces team to alter the way they enter the zone and where they take their shots. Whether it's fear, respect, defensive positioning, purely mental...I don't know, but he changes everything back there and for whatever reason impacts the way offensive is generated and executed in our own zone.

He also takes a lot of hard minutes off the back of guys who might not really be cut out to do it at a high level, long term.

I don't think it's a mistake that Price's turn around coincided with Weber's return. They are two elite players who compliment each other really well. I can't tell you how many games I've seen Price play very well, yet still give up 5 goals in Weber's absence and get roasted. Our defense is very bad at times, was last year, has been this year.

In my opinion it's the quality of chances and how the offense is generated by the opposition being changed by Weber. And give Price credit too, even with Weber he's been stealing games a lot as well.

Anyways its very fun to watch. I love this team's identity

Reactions: blarneylad

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
You forgot to mention once Nylander would join them, the Leafs would be an unstopable offensive powerhouse.

Jordie Benn has more goals then Nylander since he came back.
But they are unstoppable. No one will be able to stop them from falling to the last wild card spot.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Stupid sexy Carey Price is back.

We are definitely at the point of the season where getting a good pick is not really in the question, so I guess, make the play-offs and have some fun?

That's really the curse of Carey Price, when he's on his game, he's able to take a mediocre team and win them games.. which is what hurts us in trying to get those high draft picks to inject the game breaking talent we desperately need to compete with the Tampa's of the world.

For now, we enjoy the ride and see if 'anything can happen', and hope that we manage to hit a Brock Boeser, Kyle Connor like talent in the middle of the first round.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

We are definitely at the point of the season where getting a good pick is not really in the question, so I guess, make the play-offs and have some fun?

That's really the curse of Carey Price, when he's on his game, he's able to take a mediocre team and win them games.. which is what hurts us in trying to get those high draft picks to inject the game breaking talent we desperately need to compete with the Tampa's of the world.

For now, we enjoy the ride and see if 'anything can happen', and hope that we manage to hit a Brock Boeser, Kyle Connor like talent in the middle of the first round.
You know, even teams that make the playoffs sometimes manage to draft good players.

It's extremely rare, but it happens lol

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Yeah, I started to resign to this fact even when we stumbled a bit in November. We were playing better than .500 hockey, barely, but I had a feeling Price was going to figure it out, especially knowing Weber was coming back.

Too bad... I was hoping for one of Hughes/KK/Dach/Cozens.

I’ve always hoped Kotkaniemi can become that franchise piece, but now I REALLY HOPE he becomes that given we’re probably not getting that franchise center this upcoming draft.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
does anyone have Niemi's over the same period? Not being a smart ass, just genuinely curious (but not enough to look it up.)

I am really beginning to like Weber. It's not that I hated him, but the way we got him...well you know...but one thing I do notice is how much he forces team to alter the way they enter the zone and where they take their shots. Whether it's fear, respect, defensive positioning, purely mental...I don't know, but he changes everything back there and for whatever reason impacts the way offensive is generated and executed in our own zone.

He also takes a lot of hard minutes off the back of guys who might not really be cut out to do it at a high level, long term.

I don't think it's a mistake that Price's turn around coincided with Weber's return. They are two elite players who compliment each other really well. I can't tell you how many games I've seen Price play very well, yet still give up 5 goals in Weber's absence and get roasted. Our defense is very bad at times, was last year, has been this year.

In my opinion it's the quality of chances and how the offense is generated by the opposition being changed by Weber. And give Price credit too, even with Weber he's been stealing games a lot as well.

Anyways its very fun to watch. I love this team's identity

Niemi sine Weber's return
4-2-0
90.1%

And that's why i keep saying the same thing for a while now......you can get all the picks and prospect in the world, unless you get the #1st overall or 2nd overall pick in a very good draft, you won't get a player that can make an impact on games like Carey Price.

Unless MB trade the guy, he must work to go for it starting next year in my opinion.

Reactions: habergeon

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Niemi sine Weber's return
4-2-0
90.1%

And that's why i keep saying the same thing for a while now......you can get all the picks and prospect in the world, unless you get the #1st overall or 2nd overall pick in a very good draft, you won't get a player that can make an impact on games like Carey Price.

Unless MB trade the guy, he must work to go for it starting next year in my opinion.

Top 1 or 2 is for generational/franchise players. The logic has been wrongfully constrained to this goal, whereas getting a top 10 pick is a source of elite talent in most drafts. Picking a Matthews or a McJesus is all great and the extreme of what you could get, but there are other kind players, the Joneses and Karlssons of this world, they weren't even drafted in the top 5. And even guys like Hedman and Doughty were drafted 3rd. A lot of elite forwards were drafted between 5th and 10th.

The guiding line should always be, make sure to pick well.

Reactions: 417

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Top 1 or 2 is for generational/franchise players. The logic has been wrongfully constrained to this goal, whereas getting a top 10 pick is a source of elite talent in most drafts. Picking a Matthews or a McJesus is all great and the extreme of what you could get, but there are other kind players, the Joneses and Karlssons of this world, they weren't even drafted in the top 5. And even guys like Hedman and Doughty were drafted 3rd. A lot of elite forwards were drafted between 5th and 10th.

I agree with the last line....but Doughty and Hedman were both drafted 2nd overall. And there's not a lot of elite guys that were drafted between 4 and 10.....lot of very good players, no doubt but not even close to elite as for every elite guy drafted below top 3, there's 3 of 4 players that wasn't worth much.

2016:

Puljujarvi
Juolevi
Tkachuk
Keller
A. Nylander
Sergahev
Jost
Brown
Mcloed

Marner
Hanifin
Zacha
Provorov
Werensky
Meier
Rantanen
Crouse
Gurianov

Bennett
Dal Colle
Virtanen
Fleury
W. Nylander
Ehlers
Ritchie
Fiala
Perlini

Here's 3 years of draft between 4 and 11.....hey there's very good players in there. Elite? Maybe 4 if we're pushing the term "elite". Personnally, other than Marner and Rantanen, none compare to the impact Price can have on the game.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Bang on...whether you pick 1st or 25th...

You have to make it count.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

We'll have a shot at Ryan Suzuki. That could be pretty cool.

Winning is good for morale too and playoff experience is always good. L

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Honestly it wasn't all those top picks that made Tampa, Tampa. You could argue their top 2 players are Point and Kucherov. Maybe even Vasilevskiy is third...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->