Post-Game Talk (GBU): The night no one cared

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If Remi Elie gets another game before any number of Rochester guys I’ll be very peeved.

Not sure why some of you are annoyed by Sam or Skinner. They both created some chances. They won’t score every night.

If no call ups are happening, I think it’s long overdue to see Rodriguez with Eichel and Skinner and Reinhart with Mitts and Sheary/Okposo. Erod will keep up and draw some attention with his pace.

Reinhart should be able to get both Mitts and one of the vets open looks, make it easier for the overwhelmed.

If Allen can be competent and they can get Pietrangelo back, that Blues team will close out near the playoffs.

I hope they panic and give us their pick this year in the mid teens, because that team will likely pop next year as Thomas and Kyrou get up to speed, Dunn improves, etc. they are big and talented.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Yeah that's what I'm saying. It's almost universal that a young team finding its way gets clowned in round 1 the first time their core makes the playoffs. In an MVP caliber season from our 1C that contains solid goaltending and a 10 game win streak, we simply cannot let this NOT be that season.

Because then you're looking at HOPING that season can be the fifth of Jack's career, which is far from a guarantee just like any other year.

Agreed.

I'm at the point where I don't think we can expect this team to hang on to that playoff spot, unless Botterill makes some kind of significant move to upgrade the roster.

Getting 2 points per game from Eichel is extremely fun. *Expecting* 2 points per game from Eichel is not a good strategy, though.

Reactions: Vito_81

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If Remi Elie gets another game before any number of Rochester guys I’ll be very peeved.

Not sure why some of you are annoyed by Sam or Skinner. They both created some chances. They won’t score every night.

If no call ups are happening, I think it’s long overdue to see Rodriguez with Eichel and Skinner and Reinhart with Mitts and Sheary/Okposo. Erod will keep up and draw some attention with his pace.

Reinhart should be able to get both Mitts and one of the vets open looks, make it easier for the overwhelmed.

If Allen can be competent and they can get Pietrangelo back, that Blues team will close out near the playoffs.

I hope they panic and give us their pick this year in the mid teens, because that team will likely pop next year as Thomas and Kyrou get up to speed, Dunn improves, etc. they are big and talented.

Erod muffed every single pass thrown his way tonight. The shine has worn off, hes no better than Sobotka at this point. I'm already prepping the cannon to send him into the Sun...

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
That is hard to believe and funny at the same time. :laugh:
These are interesting considering all the "hot" takes and panic I'm reading..

This was definitley not there best effort... typical for a young team "a little full of themselves" with no real self awareness of the effort and dicipline it took to win as teams came gunning for them... By teams, I mean prideful men that arent going to let kids (talented kids) embarasss them at home.

Only Eichel got so fed up he motivated his line and the team to nearly turn it around but no one on the other lines (..of which two or three will be learning from the press box) had the strength or skill to help him.. he is a truly unique individual and we havent seen what he will be capable of.. I love watching this story of this team.

The hot takes about Larson and Girgs (early on) were equally wrong as housley and Botts smartly have a tough high compete veteran presence that can be trusted along with The little push of captain line to look forward to..

Mitts needs help, like Reinhart he isnt strong enough on the puck and amd makes mistakes and turnovers but I love his anger and. compete.. he will be our 2c. In a year you wont care that ROR and his new team raised their level of play as many teams have ..

I like sheary and our D all 7 playing our system of intelligent pinch and responsibilty and ac ountabilty that is going to look bad at times because of youth ( weak in corners against men)

If you look at blues roster and ours they match up on papwr better but Id still take our kids because Jack the two Rasmii Skinner and Bogo Mccabe do not like to lose not even individual battles..I like Hutton and he is small and leaves openings but his heart will teach Ullmark to take his job and see what it truly takes to succeed.

Tage belongs but is also a kid ( needs to compete w roch kids and sit and watch again) This team seems to trust Okposo as he had the compete to come back from concussed and still play recklessly with that issue that he probably reinjured twice over the past few games..

I like Elie toughness on a young partly soft team (ocassionaly)
but wont be here unless ..forecheck and get points running out of chances..

Spbotka plays hard competes faceoffs ( We lost majority of draws tonight) but cant shoot amd or create , the game rarely slows down for him, he doesnt hit .. but needs to sit and give way to more skilled roch , may be a problem ( he isnt a 4th liner etc)

tough decisions without injuries..after berglund mutinty and payoff.

We will see if more kids coming up like Pilut are the answer.. like this year ..should be fun..

gbu : They played alright at times and briefly made it entertaining.The team will be fine if they play their game and play 60 minutes realize they arent as talented as eichel but play simple and adopt his will.
The three to five players that dont belong or are learning, are weak turnover machines that cant finish or hit were exposed in a different way than fla. or wash.

Watching young players f up and the comments that come as if they wont improve ..(you all may be right about some veterans)

My last long winded post, apologies..

Reactions: IlikeEich

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Watched the game very closely, took notes for only the 3rd time in my older adult life.

1. Outside of the pass on the 2 on 1 to Dahlin (unfinished but we'll get to that), Mitts needs to be a 3rd scoring line center until he fully develops.
2. Scandella needs to be traded asap, no joke. Package, find a sucker.
3. Girgs, another conversation on him......ugh......we can do better for a 4th liner. Jettison him.
4. Sheary and Okposo, I am speechless. Nearly 10 million a season.....there is no wait, they'll figure it out. They have to go.
5. Tage, yea, yea, I've heard it before, but for the love of all that is good and pure in hockey......SEND HIM DOWN!

So, we sign Skinner, ride out the season and let the chips fall where they may.....meh, that doesn't seat well in my stomach this year.
Do something Bots!

If we could get rid of some combo of Okposo, Scandella, and Sobotka at the same time it'd be a godsend.. to who and for what? Any potential 2Cs with too-fat contracts? Not sure it'd help this season, but some callups and a good 2C would be better moving forward imo.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
If we could get rid of some combo of Okposo, Scandella, and Sobotka at the same time it'd be a godsend.. to who and for what? Any potential 2Cs with too-fat contracts? Not sure it'd help this season, but some callups and a good 2C would be better moving forward imo.
maybe, they are less skilled or comprimised or injured but lets be patient and see what we have with Smith, Bailey, Nylander . Olofson and crew (Guhle not ready but Pilut was) . and then you may partly get wish.. I would have to be right player that doesnt suck the air out of a room that is cocky and young but healed .. check out Bogo laughing at Eichel christmas vid..

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
Best take on game with better view wasPimlach in gdt thread in sabbresp...

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Has Remy Elie done a decent thing since he’s been in the NHL? Why the hell is he on the 2nd line?
Exactly. Housley is saying 'ask the players' about secondary scoring... maybe don't put a borderline talent next to your (supposedly) second line center.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Thought Scandella gave a strong post-game, that mirrored my state of mind on the game:

Something is not right with him this year; aside from his play on the ice, he was like a kid at christmas with his enthusiasm and positivity last year. I continually wonder if he is dealing with some off the ice issues or something nagging/physical...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Exactly. Housley is saying 'ask the players' about secondary scoring... maybe don't put a borderline talent next to your (supposedly) second line center.

No one asked him why they kept rolling Seth Griffith and Jordan Nolan on a non-4th line last year. Why would they ask anything about Elie?

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Someone should ask Phil why there is at least 1 player who doesn't belong in the league on every line except the 1st.
Well to be fair, Wilson and Poms returning from injury will solve that issue.

Thompson hasn’t been dynamite by any means, but I’d much rather see Tage on Mitts’s wing instead of Elie.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
How is it even possible that Sobotka is averaging 15 minutes a game, yet only has 37 shots and 5 points? Add to the fact that this is a player who used to play physical and who for the first season ever has decided to stop hitting to completely make himself useless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad