The NHL's Elite Teams

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

This is more of a general thread and maybe the timing of it is a little strange on the evening that we've officially advanced to the third round. Whatevs.

Since the lockout, we've seen a different team as Stanley Cup Champs each and every year. But taking a look at the teams that are remaining:

Penguins
Bruins
Blackhawks
Kings
Sharks

The only way we we don't see a second-time winner, is if the Sharks surprise and take it all. (I say "surprise" as there was a point during the season where they were considered sellers... non-contenders. If they can make it by LA, and Detroit is waiting for them? They have a HELL of a good chance of being in the Finals. I don't mean to disrespect that club.) This would be the first time in the post-cap era.

I think the fact that we're seeing basically JUST these teams this far into the post-season, highlights them as being the TRUE elite of the NHL. It's one thing to be able to win once in this league, but to be at least even in a position where you have a strong chance of winning AGAIN, is even more remarkable.

A couple of thoughts about this:

1) If you would have told me that the Bruins would have been a part of this group in 2005, I would have laughed at you. We had some very positive pieces at the time, but they certainly didn't have MY confidence that they could be a contender for any solid period of time.

2) The Red Wings were a force BEFORE and a force AFTER. What a phenomenal organization that is. Their fans have so much to be proud of. I know some of the roster there is aging, but does anyone have any doubt that they'll continue to be a good team and transition smoothly into a new era? I certainly don't.

3) There is no "formula". These teams are built wildly different from one another with different identities, strengths and weaknesses.

4) The New Jersey Devils have been awful... By all rights SHOULD have been included in this list.

We're beginning to see a salary capped NHL mature. And as I go through each of these teams, I find it interesting whoever wins out of this group. I wasn't jaded at this last lockout, but I found myself feeling oddly indifferent... I don't feel that way anymore. Yeah, I have little faith in how things are run at the NHL's highest level - but I feel very fortunate to be a witnessing this fascinating period of hockey history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad