The NHLPA Is A Joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Lunatic

I listened to the former leader of the NBA players association on the FAN590 in Toronto and this guy has more sense than the 700 players and all the NHLPA leadership combined. He couldn't understand why a union would paint itself into a corner right off the bat the way the NHLPA did, reminding the listeners how he worked within the owners demand for a cap and was able to get major consessions from the league like the Larry Bird rule which allowed owners to sign their own free agents with no regard to the cap.

Players salaries went up at such a great rate *under a cap* that the NBA locked out the palyers only 5 years later. In other words, a cap system worked just as well for the players as the non cap system did. He was smart enough to work within the system to get the players all he could. What Goodenow has done is flush over a billion dollars in players money down the toilet. Bob Goodenow is an employee, how would you react if one of your employees lost you over a billion dollars in one year? Players careers are very short and the longer this goes, the greater amount of players will be negatively impacted. Thanks Bob!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeleteThisAccount

May 3, 2004
And eating brains
www.southcape.org
It was the PA's decision to put Goodenow in the driver's seat. Obviously they had enough confidence in him to do that. If the PA still feels (collectively) that Goodenow's doing the right thing, then I guess they aren't too concerned with sacrificing a billion or so dollars for their cause. I don't see why you're so offended by it...you're probably neither a player nor NHLPA leadership.

Disclaimer: I'm not pro-PA or Goodenow.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
That's the thing...putting myself in their shoes.

If I were a player who has already made millions, what the hell would I care if they take a year or two to settle things? I know income and spending are relative, but these guys know they have a 10-15 year window of opportunity to make the money they'll livee off of for the rest of their lives. Any smart player will have socked plenty of money away for an extended period with no income.

If I were a player making the league average or less, I'd be FAR more upset at the NHLPA leadership for the way they've handled this whole process.

I would think strength in numbers prevails - unless the NHLPA is so messed up that they're ignoring the majority of their members financial situations. This is the ONLY reason I have what little shred of hope I have left that they'll reach an agreement sooner rather than later.

- T

X0ssbar

In_Todd_we_trust said:
Didn't have the patience to read your whole post, but on this point, I feel we are in agreeement....

LMAO..! :yo:

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Crazy Lunatic said:
I listened to the former leader of the NBA players association on the FAN590 in Toronto and this guy has more sense than the 700 players and all the NHLPA leadership combined. He couldn't understand why a union would paint itself into a corner right off the bat the way the NHLPA did, reminding the listeners how he worked within the owners demand for a cap and was able to get major consessions from the league like the Larry Bird rule which allowed players to sign their own free agents with no regard to the cap.

Players salaries went up at such a great rate *under a cap* that the NBA locked out the palyers only 5 years later. In other words, a cap system worked just as well for the players as the non cap system did. He was smart enough to work within the system to get the players all he could. What Goodenow has done is flush over a billion dollars in players money down the toilet. Bob Goodenow is an employee, how would you react if one of your employees lost you over a billion dollars in one year? Players careers are very short and the longer this goes, the greater amount of players will be negatively impacted. Thanks Bob!

Excellent post. An intelligent union leader would have looked at the other sports, seen that caps work fine there, seen the relative leverage of the parties, and given the owners their cap, all the while getting a bunch of potentially valuable things in return.

Unfortunately Goodenow is a buffoon, so here we are, at this late hour, tilting at the wind against a salary cap when the owners have offered his players profit sharing. Complete jagoff.

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
TonySCV said:

If I were a player who has already made millions, what the hell would I care if they take a year or two to settle things?

Maybe you wouldn't want to lose millions. I wouldn't.

Crazy Lunatic

TonySCV said:

If I were a player who has already made millions, what the hell would I care if they take a year or two to settle things? I know income and spending are relative, but these guys know they have a 10-15 year window of opportunity to make the money they'll livee off of for the rest of their lives. Any smart player will have socked plenty of money away for an extended period with no income.

If I were a player making the league average or less, I'd be FAR more upset at the NHLPA leadership for the way they've handled this whole process.

I would think strength in numbers prevails - unless the NHLPA is so messed up that they're ignoring the majority of their members financial situations. This is the ONLY reason I have what little shred of hope I have left that they'll reach an agreement sooner rather than later.

- T

The average length of an NHL players career is about 3 or 4 years (somebody here knows the exact number, so correct me if I'm wrong). This is over a billion dollars that all of these guys wont be getting back if a season is cancelled. If you lose half a season, then you rpobably could make that money back (and then some) with a free market, but not 1 and a half or two years worth of paychecks.

Dat1guy

Jul 17, 2004
Around the corner
Crazy Lunatic said:
I listened to the former leader of the NBA players association on the FAN590 in Toronto and this guy has more sense than the 700 players and all the NHLPA leadership combined. He couldn't understand why a union would paint itself into a corner right off the bat the way the NHLPA did, reminding the listeners how he worked within the owners demand for a cap and was able to get major consessions from the league like the Larry Bird rule which allowed owners to sign their own free agents with no regard to the cap.

Is this "genius" still going to be so, when he is embattled with the NBA during their impending lockout next fall?

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Battousai said:
It was the PA's decision to put Goodenow in the driver's seat. Obviously they had enough confidence in him to do that. If the PA still feels (collectively) that Goodenow's doing the right thing, then I guess they aren't too concerned with sacrificing a billion or so dollars for their cause. I don't see why you're so offended by it...you're probably neither a player nor NHLPA leadership.

Disclaimer: I'm not pro-PA or Goodenow.

Except he's not really. Trevor Linden is the PRESIDENT, Goodenow is the executive director.

Trevor Linden = George Bush
Bob Goodenow = Collin Powell

Don't kid yourself, Goodenow may be the chief negotiater, but Linden calls the shots.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Icey said:
Except he's not really. Trevor Linden is the PRESIDENT, Goodenow is the executive director.

Don't kid yourself, Goodenow may be the chief negotiater, but Linden calls the shots.

You're kind of correct.

However, the truth of the matter is that Trevor Linden, Daniel Alfredsson, Arturs Irbe, Trent Klatt, et al, really have no idea what they're doing when it comes to high finance, labor law and contract negotiation. And, in all fairness, one shouldn't expect them to be experts in those areas. They're hockey players and that's what they've dedicated their lives to.

But, as a result of that, they must rely heavily on the information and advice they get from their attorneys, Goodenow first and foremost among them. They certainly rely on Goodenow more than the owners, most experienced and accomplished businessmen in their own right, rely on Bettman.

So yes, Linden calls the shots, but Goodenow has a great deal of influence on what shots are called.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Icey said:

Linden is dumber than a tree stump..his career is over especially if they close er down this year. In fact there will be 5% of the players gone who could of played this year and they will be really bent out of shape because of Knob Goodenow

Crazy Lunatic

Dat1guy said:
Is this "genius" still going to be so, when he is embattled with the NBA during their impending lockout next fall?

Doesn't it tell you something about how well the NBA players have done *with a cap* that the owners are pissed off already about how high salaries have climbed? If the current cap deal wasn't any good for the players, we would be hearing about a players strike next fall and not a lockout. Do the math, the cap system can work VERY well for players.

Dat1guy

Jul 17, 2004
Around the corner
Crazy Lunatic said:
Doesn't it tell you something about how well the NBA players have done *with a cap* that the owners are pissed off already about how high salaries have climbed? If the current cap deal wasn't any good for the players, we would be hearing about a players strike next fall and not a lockout. Do the math, the cap system can work VERY well for players.

The problem here, though, is Gary Bettman was instumental in co-authouring the NBA's current CBA. A CBA that sees the average salary in the NBA at around $4-$5 million. Too steep, as far as the owners are concerned.

I'm merely saying that "Good Guy" Gary Bettman's legacy carries too many work stoppages. Some directly, some indirectly.

Crazy Lunatic

Dat1guy said:
The problem here, though, is Gary Bettman was instumental in co-authouring the NBA's current CBA. A CBA that sees the average salary in the NBA at around $4-$5 million. Too steep, as far as the owners are concerned.

I'm merely saying that "Good Guy" Gary Bettman's legacy carries too many work stoppages. Some directly, some indirectly.

Maybe so. I personally think he sucks as commish, but mostly because of what he's done to this game. The Western and Eastern Conferences? WTF? The Nashville Predators? WTF? 5 goals per game? WTF? Goodenow is just an idiot though, he could have gotten a sweetheart deal out of Bettman if he accepted a cap full of loopholes. Instead, he's called the owners bluff and lost badly.

Crazy Lunatic

Lil' Jimmy Norton said:
Linden is dumber than a tree stump..his career is over especially if they close er down this year. In fact there will be 5% of the players gone who could of played this year and they will be really bent out of shape because of Knob Goodenow

Thats the only reason I'm hoping for the season to be cancelled. Idiots like Chelios and Yzerman going down in flames, they both deserve it. Its just too bad all 700 players aren't of retirement age.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:
Maybe so. I personally think he sucks as commish, but mostly because of what he's done to this game. The Western and Eastern Conferences? WTF? The Nashville Predators? WTF? 5 goals per game? WTF? Goodenow is just an idiot though, he could have gotten a sweetheart deal out of Bettman if he accepted a cap full of loopholes. Instead, he's called the owners bluff and lost badly.

Why do you people jump to conclusions? Goodenow knows more about contracts and negotiations than everyone on these boards combined. Its people like you who are DESPERATE for hockey that start saying a bunch of crazy things to make yourself feel better. The best things come to those who wait. Goodenow knows that the owners are going to have a tough time fielding replacement players in Canada. The owners are going to cave in.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Crazy Lunatic said:
Thats the only reason I'm hoping for the season to be cancelled. Idiots like Chelios and Yzerman going down in flames, they both deserve it. Its just too bad all 700 players aren't of retirement age.

Tell me smarty pants. Is it better for Chelios and Yzerman to hold out or is it better them to panic like you are right now and get their money now since they aren't going to play for much longer? You're a rambling lunatic.

mytor4*

union has allready caved in . they're just to stupid to realize it .there done.
ccrrruuuussshh the union.

Crazy Lunatic

ScottyBowman said:
Tell me smarty pants. Is it better for Chelios and Yzerman to hold out or is it better them to panic like you are right now and get their money now since they aren't going to play for much longer? You're a rambling lunatic.

Panic like I am? What in Gods name do I have to lose, certainly not the 15 million that these two bums have lost this year. Hey, I didn't walk out on my job or refuse to cooperate when the boss decided to revoke some of the employee benefits we used to have either. My union didn't road block the company at every step like the NHLPA does. But then again, our union has brains. It feel nice actually getting paid for something you don't mind doing, most NHL players probably can't remember what that feels like. I'll go back to my panic now. :lol :lol :lol

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
ScottyBowman said:
Why do you people jump to conclusions? Goodenow knows more about contracts and negotiations than everyone on these boards combined. Its people like you who are DESPERATE for hockey that start saying a bunch of crazy things to make yourself feel better. The best things come to those who wait. Goodenow knows that the owners are going to have a tough time fielding replacement players in Canada. The owners are going to cave in.

The players have lost more this year than the owners have lost in ten years. The owners have other significant sources of income.

So tell me which side can realistically hold out longer?

Crazy Lunatic

jcab2000 said:
The players have lost more this year than the owners have lost in ten years. The owners have other significant sources of income.

So tell me which side can realistically hold out longer?

Oh, but the players are earning $100 a month playing with the Motor City Mechanics. :lol

Hockey_Nut99

Crazy Lunatic said:
The average length of an NHL players career is about 3 or 4 years (somebody here knows the exact number, so correct me if I'm wrong). This is over a billion dollars that all of these guys wont be getting back if a season is cancelled. If you lose half a season, then you rpobably could make that money back (and then some) with a free market, but not 1 and a half or two years worth of paychecks.

Saying the average career is 3-4 years is like saying that, without the big money guys, the nhl average salary is only like 1 million instead of 1.8 million.

Crazy Lunatic

ScottyBowman said:

Goodenow knows the owners will cave after the players have lost 2 full years of their career and well over 2 billion dollars? Wow, thats some strategy.

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
There is nowhere to go but down for the players. There would be no negotiations until December or January. The owners would be offering less and the revenues they're fighting over would be a lot less.

And that's the best case scenario, with the worst being an impasse declared and the owners putting in whatever CBA they want to put in.

The NHLPA would be stupid to not cut their losses now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad