The NHLPA CBA proposal....

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
NHLPA Offer said:
We propose three alternatives to the NHL. The first redistributes $65 Million from high revenue Clubs to low revenue Clubs; the second redistributes $124 M illion; and the third redistributes $190 Million. All three alternatives are acceptable to us.

Which would the owners prefer? With the new low salaries, Ottawa for example lost $5mil on a $41mil payroll. They now receive $1.5mil in revenue sharing money because of low revenues, plus they get a $10mil reduction in payroll. So at a $31mil payroll, we would be making money again.

As the revenues exploded 3-400% in the last decade, the revenue disparities grew even faster. Wouldnt a partnership of NHL teams work to equalize that themselves?

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
thinkwild said:
As the revenues exploded 3-400% in the last decade, the revenue disparities grew even faster. Wouldnt a partnership of NHL teams work to equalize that themselves?

I think this is the hilarious part of the entire dispute. Almost all revenues are local and disparities are staggering.

Even if we set aside very large corporate issues in revenue sharing - how could the trustees for the Ontario Teacher's Pension Fund go along with MLSE giving away teacher pension money? - there is a giant trust issue. It is one thing to ask the players to believe that William Wirtz and Jeremy Jacobs is coming clean on their revenues, but should John McCaw or Cal Nichols? Does Eugene Melnyk believe the Ranger numbers in the UROs?

Tom

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Which would the owners prefer? With the new low salaries, Ottawa for example lost $5mil on a $41mil payroll. They now receive $1.5mil in revenue sharing money because of low revenues, plus they get a $10mil reduction in payroll. So at a $31mil payroll, we would be making money again.

I have to disagree with Ottawa losing 5million. That number just doesnt jive at all. With a 19 milliojn dollar interest payments, lower suite and ticket sales etc the Sens managed to make a profit of over 3 million in the 2002 season ,excluding the playoff run that ye ar.

I can't fathom that Ottawa, which even Mlakar admitted was 8th in tickets sold this past year, with higher season ticket numbers, near capacity suite numbers, 17800 average attendance and no debt could somehow go from up 3 million with 30 million dollar team (*and lower accross the board revenues) to a 5 million loss iwth no debt and higher streams... Just my biased opinion, of course ;)

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Tom_Benjamin said:
I think this is the hilarious part of the entire dispute. Almost all revenues are local and disparities are staggering.

Even if we set aside very large corporate issues in revenue sharing - how could the trustees for the Ontario Teacher's Pension Fund go along with MLSE giving away teacher pension money? - there is a giant trust issue. It is one thing to ask the players to believe that William Wirtz and Jeremy Jacobs is coming clean on their revenues, but should John McCaw or Cal Nichols? Does Eugene Melnyk believe the Ranger numbers in the UROs?

Tom

Tom, you raise a fair point (and the distribution of the Ontario Teacher's Pension Fund bit is humorous :joker: ). But, in response, the question must be asked: how does the NBA manage to "come clean" on its revenues to the satisfaction of its player's union and fellow owners?

As you likely know, the NBA salary cap is reset annually based on a percentage of total league revenues. Seems to me that it shouldn't be an insurmountable hurdle in the NHL. Or am I missing something? :dunno:

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Trottier said:
Tom, you raise a fair point (and the distribution of the Ontario Teacher's Pension Fund bit is humorous :joker: ). But, in response, the question must be asked: how does the NBA manage to "come clean" on its revenues to the satisfaction of its player's union and fellow owners?

As you likely know, the NBA salary cap is reset annually based on a percentage of total league revenues. Seems to me that it shouldn't be an insurmountable hurdle in the NHL. Or am I missing something? :dunno:[/QUOTE
It is not an insurmountable hurdle. Find a good accounting firm.

FlyersFan10*

Iceman23 said:
The owners have conceded plenty. As in billions of dollars to the players in salary over the last decade. Some of the owners may not be the most likeable people, but the fact remains that the owners are putting up the money to run these teams and thus deserve to have a reasonable return on their money. The "luxury tax" given in the proposal is a start no doubt. But this 24% one time rollback is essentially useless. Next year, everyone still under contract has their salary jump right back to where it was (or higher). Unless the rollback included future years in preexisting contracts, they'd be giving the owners a chance to be profitable in the first year of the CBA. The owners have to do this right, or salaries will continue to escalate.

That's a joke. Owners have conceded squat. They've squandered their money on players, blame a faulty system that THEY negotiated and strong armed the union into signing, and now the the CBA didn't work into their favour, they decide that it's not a good agreement. The fact of the matter is that if the owners used the previous CBA properly, they could have prospered. Now, the other problem with regards to the owners comes with extending the CBA. If the CBA agreement was so bad, they wouldn't have extended it twice. No, players are not to blame for this mess. It's owners who have tried to bury one another by starting an auction war for a player's service is what caused this mess.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
FlyersFan10 said:
That's a joke. Owners have conceded squat. They've squandered their money on players, blame a faulty system that THEY negotiated and strong armed the union into signing, and now the the CBA didn't work into their favour, they decide that it's not a good agreement. The fact of the matter is that if the owners used the previous CBA properly, they could have prospered. Now, the other problem with regards to the owners comes with extending the CBA. If the CBA agreement was so bad, they wouldn't have extended it twice. No, players are not to blame for this mess. It's owners who have tried to bury one another by starting an auction war for a player's service is what caused this mess.
I'm not disagreeing with you. Now the owners need a new system and they are going to get it. I am not pro owner, don't give a damn about the owners. Hockey needs a new system and this is when it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad