The NHL is Eyeing Austin Texas instead of Houston - Oak View agrees to Build New Arena!!!

Aero 75

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
Vegas had to build their practice facility. Where would the Houston team practice? The ice rink in the middle of the Galleria?
Houston has no hockey infrastructure. A few hockey rinks here and there. Not many. The rink in Sugar Land is so bad, even the NA3HL team left for College Station. A relocated
NHL team would have no place to practice. Good luck impressing the NHL that Houston is "hockey ready".

BJNT

Jan 12, 2015
If they do move to Houston, I wonder if their AHL affiliate would follow them or would they stay in Tucson?

Aero 75

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
If they do move to Houston, I wonder if their AHL affiliate would follow them or would they stay in Tucson?
Tucson has been a good fit for the AHL. Even the University of Arizona ACHA team packed them in recently in the same arena. I don't see the Coyotes moving to Houston,
so lets save that discussion for later.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Houston has no hockey infrastructure. A few hockey rinks here and there. Not many. The rink in Sugar Land is so bad, even the NA3HL team left for College Station. A relocated
NHL team would have no place to practice. Good luck impressing the NHL that Houston is "hockey ready".

And the NHL isn't going to take one of their franchises hostage and demand such and such things happen from houston before a relocation happens. It just won't happen. NHL came close to almost moving the coyotes to Seattle and we didn't even have an NHL plan approved or a practice rink at the time. Expansion is one thing relocation is a different thing. If houston rocket's owner buys the coyotes they are moving as soon as they possible can. No lame duck season period.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Austin would actually be a good play. It's a big enough city, and it has a very tight-knit community with a good amount of civic pride. I think leagues are starting to realize that you can fill a venue with that. Give Austinites something to call their own and they will. Give Houston a team and you're just an experiment in a place that even saw an NFL team once come and go.

Demographics also play a part in it. The NHL, unfortunately, is a league barring little appeal to folks who aren't white. Austin, especially for a southwestern city, is real real white. Now, you might go, "there's more folks of x demographic in Houston than in all of Austin!" and you'd be right: but part of building a fanbase is infecting a community with interest. That interest is harder to get in Houston, because most people aren't gonna care, and the collective impact will be much smaller if it's not relevant to the majority. Whole other conversation, but hockey is mostly a non-starter for non-white people in the US, unfortunately.

If I had to name a close comparable, it'd be Nashville. A city stocked with enough wealthy-ish white transplants who might not be as sports-minded from the outset, but embrace the team because they want to embrace the town. Give them a team to be proud of and they'll go nuts. Austin is like that. Houston is more like Atlanta.

Reactions: Aero 75

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
If they are going southern it should be Albuquerque, no other major pro sports team to compete with, super fast growing city and a bunch of transplants from all over the country, also every other nhl team is 6+ hour drive away (Avs 6, yotes 7, knights and stars 10) and a short trip from Rio Rancho and Santa Fe (2 of New Mexico’s other most populas cities)

It’s the second (el Paso, Texas) most populas city in the us with out a major league sports team

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If they are going southern it should be Albuquerque, no other major pro sports team to compete with, super fast growing city and a bunch of transplants from all over the country, also every other nhl team is 6+ hour drive away (Avs 6, yotes 7, knights and stars 10) and a short trip from Rio Rancho and Santa Fe (2 of New Mexico’s other most populas cities)

It’s the second (el Paso, Texas) most populas city in the us with out a major league sports team

This is incorrect, since Austin doesn't have one. Technically Louisville is larger too.

However, that only looks at city population. Metro population, which is the thing that really matters, tells a different story. For one, Albuquerque is bigger than El Paso. For another, Albuquerque is topped by 16 other metro areas (including the oft-debatable Riverside-San Bernadino one). Aside from Riverside, Austin and Virginia Beach are the two largest, with Austin being twice as big as Albuquerque.

Eventually, Albuquerque might reach that size and become more viable, but not yet.

Aero 75

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, Tx
Austin would actually be a good play. It's a big enough city, and it has a very tight-knit community with a good amount of civic pride. I think leagues are starting to realize that you can fill a venue with that. Give Austinites something to call their own and they will. Give Houston a team and you're just an experiment in a place that even saw an NFL team once come and go.

Demographics also play a part in it. The NHL, unfortunately, is a league barring little appeal to folks who aren't white. Austin, especially for a southwestern city, is real real white. Now, you might go, "there's more folks of x demographic in Houston than in all of Austin!" and you'd be right: but part of building a fanbase is infecting a community with interest. That interest is harder to get in Houston, because most people aren't gonna care, and the collective impact will be much smaller if it's not relevant to the majority. Whole other conversation, but hockey is mostly a non-starter for non-white people in the US, unfortunately.

If I had to name a close comparable, it'd be Nashville. A city stocked with enough wealthy-ish white transplants who might not be as sports-minded from the outset, but embrace the team because they want to embrace the town. Give them a team to be proud of and they'll go nuts. Austin is like that. Houston is more like Atlanta.
Austin makes a lot of sense in my mind for the very reasons you gave.

Oh, and just found this little headline in the Austin Statesman today. 5,000 more high-tech jobs on the horizon.

Apple plans new $1 billion Austin campus, 5,000 more jobs

Reactions: MikeCubs

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I'm surprised by this because of the size difference between the two cities, but this actually makes complete sense. The NHL is following the NBA's lead and going into smaller regional markets where they can create a buzz and get a large percentage of people behind them. Makes it easier for them to create awareness and create a fanbase. With the way Vegas is working out and the success we've seen in Nashville, Winnipeg, Minnesota, etc. this is actually a very good blueprint to go by.

If it meant creating a more dedicated fanbase and grassroots development system I'm all for it. Look at how well smaller NBA markets like Utah, OKC, Memphis, etc. do. It's a great idea.

Reactions: MikeCubs

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
I'm surprised by this because of the size difference between the two cities, but this actually makes complete sense.

What in particular are you surprised by? This was an idea Bob McKenzie had. He said nothing about the NHL eyeing Austin at all. It was just one guy's idea.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
What in particular are you surprised by? This was an idea Bob McKenzie had. He said nothing about the NHL eyeing Austin at all. It was just one guy's idea.
I was surprised that Austin was brought up, given all the talk about the NHL wanting to be in Houston. I think it actually makes sense though given the success seen in Vegas to keep to smaller markets. That's all I was saying.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Austin is a fantastic choice. Rapidly growing city, young demographic, huge corporate cash, and no competition from other pro teams.

Also, something I thought of: It definitely has advantages for luring or retaining players. With smaller markets or franchises trying to get a foothold , there's always the concern that they won't be able to attract talent, or once they find it a player's just going to demand a trade down the road or leave in UFA. Let's face it, your most important employees are all young men between the ages of 19 and 30, most of them do want to live in a place where they can enjoy their money and youth. Austin' got great weather, a fantastic food scene, and all sorts of different accessible living options. The more I think of it, the stronger a choice it seems.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Austin is a fantastic choice. Rapidly growing city, young demographic, huge corporate cash, and no competition from other pro teams.
that says to me no existing league has entered insert market here, how can we state Austin is devoid of 'pro' franchises....

the Stars have an interest, via AHL Texas, SSE has an interest via Austin's Spurs.... same can be said about Gwinnett, Atlanta.... the Braves and the Stripers and the Gladiators

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
that says to me no existing league has entered insert market here, how can we state Austin is devoid of 'pro' franchises....

the Stars have an interest, via AHL Texas, SSE has an interest via Austin's Spurs.... same can be said about Gwinnett, Atlanta.... the Braves and the Stripers and the Gladiators

Yes, you list some minor league franchises....

Reactions: Jets4Life

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Austin is not a great choice IMO...wayyyy too many transplants there, just not sustainable. I do not see them backing a team right now, maybe in 10 years time but not right now.. Austin is turning into California part 2...Houston is the much better route, loyal fans that have been actual pro fans already in place.. Dallas/Fort Worth area is a far better demographic than Austin and we struggle here with hockey... I just don't see it yet to be honest....college is one thing but a pro sports team is different...we will see I guess.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Yes, you list some minor league franchises....
minor league franchises are pro..... especially when owned or operated by the parent franchise, so are u telling us that San Antonio's ownership aka the Spurs are not a pro franchise, when the ownership group has that as part of their operations

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
minor league franchises are pro..... especially when owned or operated by the parent franchise, so are u telling us that San Antonio's ownership aka the Spurs are not a pro franchise, when the ownership group has that as part of their operations

So, you're point is that I should have stuck in the words "non-minor league" in my post? Picky.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Austin is not a great choice IMO...wayyyy too many transplants there, just not sustainable. I do not see them backing a team right now, maybe in 10 years time but not right now.. Austin is turning into California part 2....

The same state that has 3 franchises?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Sharks, Kings, and Ducks (sorry, I should have bolded which state I was talking about).
okay, so Cali has 3 franchises, but they are not a hotbed of a hockey market, we know why those teams are there and what the goal was. Anaheim struggles with attendance in the bottom 3rd...Sharks not far from them either.....you are having people leaving from typically non traditional markets heading to Austin...all I am saying is people need to look a bit deeper into Austin and understand the amount of transplants there and from where....to expect all these people to jump on board to a NHL team might be pushing it a bit...I said in maybe 5-10 years this is something to look at, but I have fears with this market as supporting this team right now or in the next 2-3 years....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad