The NHL is an abject failure

• Thread starter A Good Flying Bird*
  • Start date

A Good Flying Bird*

I was really annoyed yesterday that the Wings-Sharks game wasn't in HD.

It was at the Joe, and usually the local Fox Sports cable channel does the games in HD. At least the home game.

But Versus has bumped FSN. Used to be the VS didn't trump local networks until the conference finals.

Anyway, VS usually has their games broadcast in HD on the VSGolf channel. At least in Ann Arbor, served by Comcast.

But not last night..

Comcast OWNS VS. You think they'd have this figured out, at least in their own markets.

But as miffed as I as about not havng the game in HD, 39 percent of cable customers in Michigan don't even get VS at all -- Not even in STANDARD DEFINITION.

Good heavens. Hockeytown is suffering. The economy stinks. We've lost our icon in Yzerman. The payroll was cut in half while ticket prices were barely touched.

And the NHL can't even figure out to get Red Wings games on television.

And remember, this is a market that has been served on free television by CBC's Hockey Night in Canada ... which isn't broadcasting because of some TSN agreement.

Nice stuff, NHL.

Way to strangle hockey in "Hockeytown."

Fugu

SMOE!!!!!!!! You're posting something anti-Bettman sounding on the HF biz board. :D

Well, Dr. No has already chimed in...

Let's see. I could point out that the FSN audience in the Detroit area is about 70,000 strong during the regular season and 174,000 tuned in for the playoffs.... on FSN. I'm sure GHOST will let us know when the VS numbers are released.

And you forgot to mention revenue sharing. 'Hands in Your Pocket' is a catchy little jingle they run during the breaks...;)

A Good Flying Bird*

That's all I need. There's really no point in arguing, since you're the smartest man on earth and all.

There are days that my remarkable intelligence is more a curse than a blessing. This is one of those days.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
I was really annoyed yesterday that the Wings-Sharks game wasn't in HD.

It was at the Joe, and usually the local Fox Sports cable channel does the games in HD. At least the home game.

But Versus has bumped FSN. Used to be the VS didn't trump local networks until the conference finals.

Anyway, VS usually has their games broadcast in HD on the VSGolf channel. At least in Ann Arbor, served by Comcast.

But not last night..

Comcast OWNS VS. You think they'd have this figured out, at least in their own markets.

But as miffed as I as about not havng the game in HD, 39 percent of cable customers in Michigan don't even get VS at all -- Not even in STANDARD DEFINITION.

Good heavens. Hockeytown is suffering. The economy stinks. We've lost our icon in Yzerman. The payroll was cut in half while ticket prices were barely touched.

And the NHL can't even figure out to get Red Wings games on television.

And remember, this is a market that has been served on free television by CBC's Hockey Night in Canada ... which isn't broadcasting because of some TSN agreement.

Nice stuff, NHL.

Way to strangle hockey in "Hockeytown."

Did you pick up the phone and call your cable provider or VS?
Squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Its is getting beyond lame to continually hear the whining from the States about VS. If fans supported the game, and provided the television numbers to support better coverage they'd have it. Have an issue with your cable company, get DirecTv which has VS.

Detroit annointed itself Hockeytown, and they can't even sell out a playoff game as the #1 seed in the West! Nice "HockeyTown."

What a joke. If I have to hear one more time about the television coverage I may puke. Pick up the phone and complain. Send an email to someone. But please, stop the *****ing!

A Good Flying Bird*

Its is getting beyond lame to continually hear the whining from the States about VS. If fans supported the game, and provided the television numbers to support better coverage they'd have it. Have an issue with your cable company, get DirecTv which has VS.

Detroit annointed itself Hockeytown, and they can't even sell out a playoff game as the #1 seed in the West! Nice "HockeyTown."

What a joke. If I have to hear one more time about the television coverage I may puke. Pick up the phone and complain. Send an email to someone. But please, stop the *****ing!

Step off, Charlie

Have you tried calling Comcast's customer service?

And I sent an email.

I'm less concerned about the HD than I am the fact that the came was TOTALLY UNAVAILABLE to 40 percent of Michigan cable subscribers.

If you think that's a "call the cable company" issue, you're insane.

Fugu

So I guess you're not impressed with the 174,000 households watching TV on FSN Detroit?

As for selling out the playoffs, I think I cue IB here on the profit vs. revenue maximization point here. I've already written a dissertation or two, scattered all around HF on the subject.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Step off, Charlie

Have you tried calling Comcast's customer service?

And I sent an email.

I'm less concerned about the HD than I am the fact that the came was TOTALLY UNAVAILABLE to 40 percent of Michigan cable subscribers.

If you think that's a "call the cable company" issue, you're insane.

Yes it is a "call our cable company" issue because it is the cable company that has chosen not to put Versus on their system. The way you get the cable company to put a channel on their system is to call and complain and threaten to switch to Directtv. If you can get enough people to complain loud enough they will put the channel on their system. Example last year in Buffalo the cable company there got so many complaints that they put Versus (then OLN) on basic cable.

The only cable company I have a huge problem with when it comes to Versus is Cablevision. They are an NHL team owner and they won't put VS on their basic cable system. It's ridiculous and the league needs to put pressure on the Rangers (and thus their ownership) to get them to put the channel on basic cable.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
The Vs/Golf channel goes with the Golf coverage on Thurs and Friday nights. The hockey Hd game for Vs is usually moved to the INHD channel.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
As for selling out the playoffs, I think I cue IB here on the profit vs. revenue maximization point here. I've already written a dissertation or two, scattered all around HF on the subject.
Sorry, I'm on break after taking an exam today ... try Sunday! :cheers:

A Good Flying Bird*

Yes it is a "call our cable company" issue because it is the cable company that has chosen not to put Versus on their system. The way you get the cable company to put a channel on their system is to call and complain and threaten to switch to Directtv. If you can get enough people to complain loud enough they will put the channel on their system. Example last year in Buffalo the cable company there got so many complaints that they put Versus (then OLN) on basic cable.

The only cable company I have a huge problem with when it comes to Versus is Cablevision. They are an NHL team owner and they won't put VS on their basic cable system. It's ridiculous and the league needs to put pressure on the Rangers (and thus their ownership) to get them to put the channel on basic cable.

1. I am a Comcast subscriber. Comcast has VS.
My comcast does not carry VS in HD, thought. They do carry VSGolf, which has carried HD games.
Just not the ones that matter most to a Michigan audience.

2. I am not a customer of a company that doesn't have VS. But 40 percent of Michigan cable customers.

Anybody who lays this at the feet of hockey fans is being argumentative and small-minded.

Fact is, this is the NHL's product.
It's up to the NHL to get it on the air where fans want it.

Fugu

In spite of the fact that 40% of Michigan cable subscribers not being able to get VS, and in spite of the fact that the Wings can't sell out the Joe, the VS rating for the Detroit market was 7.3, from the SJ Mercury News, via KK's:

DETROIT - In touting its overnight ratings for Game 1 of Sharks-Red Wings, Versus cited a 7.3 in Detroit and a 1.9 in the Bay Area. Too bad ratings aren't available for the Canadian TV coverage in the province of Newfoundland, because percentage-wise it was probably a very healthy number.

I think this shows there's still a tremendous interest in the Wings in Michigan--- but few can afford to actually GO to a game.

Fugu

Pssst. He's Canadian. And as all Canadians know - and I've been allowed into the secret brotherhood - you don't watch the puck! It's all about the flow... they just KNOW where the puck is going to go! ;)

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
DirecTV wasn't showing the game in HD either. I emailed and complained and didn't hear back from them. Why should they care, whats VS gonna demand from them. Versus is lucky they even allow them on the air.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
Charlie Sheen wants nothing to do with the NHL. He has a reputation to protect.

Charlie Sheen's father was the President of the United States. The White House does not get VS. either because Professional Team Rodeo is cruelty to animals.

I wonder if Emelio would be interested in being the new Commissioner of the NHL.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Pssst. He's Canadian. And as all Canadians know - and I've been allowed into the secret brotherhood - you don't watch the puck! It's all about the flow... they just KNOW where the puck is going to go! ;)

Actually, that's how I watch the NHL. You don't really have to "see" the puck. You can tell where it is based on the players reactions/movements and the occasional flash of black.

Fugu

Actually, that's how I watch the NHL. You don't really have to "see" the puck. You can tell where it is based on the players reactions/movements and the occasional flash of black.

I was being facetious. Maybe the first guy who brought it up was too. But yeah, if you really feel like you need to watch the puck, even HD TV won't help you...

I made reference to Canadians because they'll all say that without prompting if the subject comes up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad