The NHL is a Dead League

Status
Not open for further replies.

X0ssbar

I think this CBA is clearly a case of the league "rebuilding". Similar to when a major sports team decides to blow up their roster and start over again and I think the same can be said w/ what the NHL is trying to do. When a team rebuilds it risks losing fans and interest. When a team rebuilds they are resigned to the fact that they are going to take a hit for a couple of years, they are going to have losing seasons which will result in lost revenue and fan support. However, this short term hit will pay divendends down the road when these major changes start paying off - new young stars, exciting young team, legitimate Stanley Cup contender, etc.

Well - the same exact thing can be said for what the league is doing. They are resigned to the fact that they are going to have a few losing season or lost seasons. They are willing to take the short term hit to achieve the long term goal of a healthy, economically viable league for its 30 franchises. The owners are banking on a stronger league 10 years from now with a new economic system, improved on ice product (hopefully) and healthy markets. They are well aware of the risks they are taking and that it could explode in their faces but to them to stay the current course is an explosion waiting to happen anyways.

So why do the owners want to "rebuild"? Well growth in the NHL, in its current structure, has gone as far as it can go. TV is dead, revenue streams are completely used up and are as dry as a desert, players are overpaid, casual sports fans unintersted, ticket prices are overblown and the games image and entertainment value is awful at best. Its time to blow it all up and start over - at least in the NHL's ownership eyes. It other words - its time for change. Its time for some MAJOR change and change scares the hell out of everyone - owners, fans and believe me it is scaring the hell out of players.

With that said - do I think the NHL is will be dead after this thing is said and done? No, I don't think so. However I am not naive enough to think their won't be casualties along the way - a few teams may be lost or relocated, fans lost, coporate dollars spent elsewhere, players such as Yzerman/Messier not given the proper farewell from the game and who knows what will become of Bettman/Goodenow. I do think the NHL will survive and I firmly believe it will become a stronger league because of it.

Like the rest of you I want NHL hockey yesterday but I am willing to be patient b/c I understand the business side of this mess and the realities of pro sports in the 21st century. Eventually this will get settled and I will be here when the puck drops. In the meantime I will enjoy college/major juniors/AHL/high school hockey - speaking of, man I enjoyed that 4 - 1 thumping Ohio State put on Michigan last night ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad