The NHL has to make the next expansion draft better

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Vegas could have built a good team with who was available, but they instead elected to make several (in some cases weird) side deals, bypassing some good players. They also stockpiled a ton of defense instead of targeting best player available. It's their own fault.

The defense thing was the dumbest part of all. Yeah, D is valuable but not when you have 11 of them. GMs have proven they will wait you out in a situation like that. You're gonna have guys sitting around half the summer wondering where they will play and then they'll get dealt for a 3rd in August.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the fact is vegas has no prospect pool, they need the picks. Id almost argue that the exapnsion team should get 2 picks in every round. one lottery pick same odds as now and a later round pick in the 21-26 range.

it would keep them from trading players for picks and allow them to still draft 14 players/.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
This is still probably the best expansion team in history.. (maybe over-stated if looking at 1967).. So since then.

Check out how horrific the Preds were... Even a few of those names, like Richter were taken because back then teams got draft pick compensation for losing UFAs.

1998 Expansion Draft

Last edited:

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Their GM just traded a really solid top 4 D on a good contract for a 7th round pick and a 2nd rounder three years into the future.

The problem isn't the process, it is the guy driving the bus off of the cliff.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Correct.

McPhee very easily could have gotten his hands on the likes of Vatanen, Dumba, de Haan and could have easily offersheeted talent like Draisaitl or Kuznetsov with the capspace, while extorting teams for more than just 2nd Round picks to get certain players

Could have, but let's be honest. All those 1sts he'd have to give up for those players will likely be lottery picks. He can't gut the future of the franchise before they even play their first game.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Vegas was given every opportunity to have a competitive team (competing for the playoffs, not true cup contenders) and their GM opted to pass on that for the sake of building for the future. How else can the NHL make an expansion team better if the GM opts to build the way McPhee did?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
the fact is vegas has no prospect pool, they need the picks. Id almost argue that the exapnsion team should get 2 picks in every round. one lottery pick same odds as now and a later round pick in the 21-26 range.

it would keep them from trading players for picks and allow them to still draft 14 players/.

That's not a bad idea. A weird one that would never fly, but I'd be all for giving them an extra pick at the end of every round (making it a 32 player round for those 2 or 3 years). They get their regular pick, and the 32nd pick, taking away the need to trade for so many picks elsewhere.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
They could have made a good team with rules given. Unfortunately NHL underestimated how bad McPhee is

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Apart from when the NHL doubled in size, the top three inaugural expansion seasons in NHL history belong to three recognized perennial powerhouses: the Florida Panthers, Hartford Whalers, and Columbus Blue Jackets.

...I think Vegas is on the right track, myself. :)

For the record:
Florida Panthers: .494 (83 points in 84 games)
Hartford Whalers: .456 (73 points in 80 games)
Columbus Blue Jackets: .433 (71 points in 82 games)
Edmonton Oilers: .431 (69 points in 80 games)
Mighty Ducks of Anaheim: .423 (71 points in 84 games)
Atlanta Flames: .417 (65 points in 78 games)
Minnesota Wild: .415 (68 points in 82 games)
Buffalo Sabres: .403 (63 points in 78 games)
Nashville Predators: .384 (63 points in 82 games)
Quebec Nordiques: .381 (61 points in 80 games)
Winnipeg Jets: .318 (51 points in 80 games)
Tampa Bay Lightning: .315 (53 points in 84 games)
Vancouver Canucks: .359 (56 points in 78 games)
Kansas City Scouts: .256 (41 points in 80 games)
San Jose Sharks: .244 (39 points in 80 games)
Atlanta Thrashers: .238 (39 points in 82 games)
New York Islanders: .192 (30 points in 78 games)
Ottawa Senators: .143 (24 points in 84 games)
Washington Capitals: .131 (21 points in 80 games)

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
They should have raided teams of their best players and then put them up in auction to the highest bidder. Force GMs to fight each other over the Vatanen's and Dumba's. Everyone would hate you in the end for it but you'd have a better chance of building a great team.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
They should have raided teams of their best players and then put them up in auction to the highest bidder. Force GMs to fight each other over the Vatanen's and Dumba's. Everyone would hate you in the end for it but you'd have a better chance of building a great team.

I think had he gone that route the other GM's would have refused to interact with him and collectively shut Vegas out.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
McPhee let too many teams off the hook, my own included. Doesn't matter though. Expansion teams should suck out of the gate. It would be unjust for the league to set up a brand new team to be able to draft a realistic playoff team out of the gate. It just wouldn't be fair to the teams struggling in the basement.

I would only agree that maybe they cut the 7 forwards protected down to 6. They can't do that though if they expand again in a couple of years. It'd be a slap in the face to Vegas.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I like the concept posted earlier of the next expansion team basically building their farm system a year earlier and participating in two entry drafts prior to playing their first NHL game.
However I'm not sure how exactly you'd factor in the logistics of that, as you'd be incurring a full season of expenses with zero revenue.

Also, I think that while the making trades to 'protect' extra players is fine... the flipping selected players shouldn't be a thing. Especially given that the returns on all of the flipped players so far has been significantly lower than the request to protect. Basically just punishes teams who decided not to get extorted by GMGM.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
There are enough threads discussing this topic that bumping a year old thread with 20 posts isn’t adding anything new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad