The NHL has a BIG problem (Cap Circumvention via LTIR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I dont blame Toronto or TB.

But i do think this loophole needs to be closed

To be honest i dont really understand why this havent happenend before. I dont see a single reason why playoffs shouldnt have a cap
Do you guys understand it’s more than just Toronto and Tampa who wouldn’t be cap compliant when the playoffs started. All these teams adding players at the deadline are using accrued cap space.
If you set a rule that they have to be cap compliant at the start of the playoffs none of these teams will be.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Tell me how Kucherov being on LTIR benefits Tampa. Every time this dumb ass thread is made, I hope for a new argument and every time I am disappointed.
Kucherov on LTIR doesn't benefit Tampa, it's the lack of a salary cap in the playoffs that does????? Pay attention lol

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I love how people think that Riley Nash is some kind of secret weapon that is going to be a big help in the playoffs. Lulz.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
so you want 20-30 penalties a game. People would lose interest quickly.

Sure thats what i said lol, at the start of thisseason mtl was getting tons of stick to the hands penalties, then they stopped getting them after like game 10, guess how, well they stopped committing said penalty..

Wow what a shocker

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The LTIR issue isn’t nearly as bad as the back diving cap circumvention contracts. Those were allowed to stay, even after the NHL ruled they were unfair.
1. Why wouldn't they have been allowed to stay? If the NHL had tried voiding them in some way, the NHLPA would have been in court before the ink dried on the order, would have won the resulting court right, and it would have cost the owners a shitload of money.

2. The existence of those contracts were not a problem. Refusing to force teams to eat the cap hits when those contracts hit the later years was. The best way to handle them would have been to say

• these contracts are not eligible for LTIR and will count against the cap in full, and
  • deferred cap charges accruing to the signing team must be paid back by (charged against) the signing team as the contract runs off. No "we'll ship this contract to [small-market team trying to hit the cap floor]" game-playing.
That would have also negated the "need" to artificially restrict contract lengths. You wanted to sign someone to 13 years? Cool, do it. It blows up in your face? Oops - sorry, your problem, you figure out how to cope with it; no shuffling it off on someone else with a(nother) get-out-of-jail free card.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Couldn't the NHL just have a doctor check up on an LTIR player if they suspect there is some cap circumvention going on?
Yes, it can. I think technically it's "have a neutral doctor do an examination" - and the league can also can inspect team records to make sure everything is on the up-and-up.

Does it? IMO, not nearly as often as it should. I'm waiting for Hossa to start showing up in pictures wearing a hockey jersey somewhere after about August of this year, despite his "skin disorder" caused by wearing a hockey jersey. Don't worry, it'll be a miracle!

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Every team has to follow the same rules. I’m sure Tampa really wanted their best player to miss the entire season just just so they can add Savard at the trade deadline......

Maybe next year Edmonton will LTIR Mcdavid so they can add a couple more players during the season and have a fresh Mcdavid for the playoffs.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
The Salary cap was created to give smaller market teams a fighting chance against the larger spending, big markets of the NHL.

Not true. The salary cap was created to cap salary. The owners want salaries to be a predictable, stable expense. Parity is inconsequential.

If the owners don’t have to pay the LTIR contracts because of insurance, and the players essentially get extra salary beyond what they’ve collectively bargained for, it’s a win-win.

But what about the fans that are unhappy? The same answer you’ll always get: tough shit, you’ll watch anyway.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Every team has to follow the same rules. I’m sure Tampa really wanted their best player to miss the entire season just just so they can add Savard at the trade deadline......

Maybe next year Edmonton will LTIR Mcdavid so they can add a couple more players during the season and have a fresh Mcdavid for the playoffs.
Tampa proved they can win a cup without one of their stars last year. So making the playoffs shouldn't be a problem for them without one.

Its not Kucherov being injured that's the problem, its once he returns likely on the first game of the playoffs, Tampa Bay will be icing a team in the playoffs with players exceeding the salary cap by over 10 million

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
The league can't force someone to get a surgery as soon as they're injured. Tampa can abuse this by working with Kucherov to schedule his surgery at the start or end of the off-season to line up the expected recovery time with the last week or two of the regular season.

The only real issue the NHL can push here is that teams are incentivized to have their players make surgery decisions around the NHL schedule rather than their own health.
So it’s my understanding that Kucherov could be healthy to player earlier but that they are waiting for cap reasons.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If the owners don’t have to pay the LTIR contracts because of insurance, and the players essentially get extra salary beyond what they’ve collectively bargained for, it’s a win-win.
LTIR and insurance are independent items. A contract that's on LTIR is not by default insured.

A contract that's insured may be covered if it's on LTIR provided that (a) the contract was not uninsurable to begin with [i.e., over a given length, player has an injury history that renders him uninsurable], (b) the injury giving rise to LTIR was not excluded [players who've had past injuries to certain body areas may have further injuries to those areas excluded], (c) the contract was selected by the team and accepted by the insurer for insurance, and (d) the player has missed the requisite amount of time (# of games; typically 30, may be more depending on the player and/or nature of injury allowed).

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So it’s my understanding that Kucherov could be healthy to player earlier but that they are waiting for cap reasons.

It would be an awfully big coincidence if he just sat around until December 30th of his own accord when it lines up exactly with the start of the playoffs for the expected recovery time.

You know it's a bad situation when Tampa's worst case scenario this year would be their star winger having a miraculously fast recovery and being healthy enough to play by March, forcing them to pay out the nose to dump Johnson+++ just to be cap compliant. Instead they get to pick up Savard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad