The NHL has a BIG problem (Cap Circumvention via LTIR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I don't understand what you mean.

Are you suggesting that LTIR is a "bizarre contract exception?" If so, I would disagree because its not at all "bizarre", nor is it a contract exception.

The player contract is fully respected and remains in place. The only exception is to the salary cap, which does not apply while the player is injured and unable to play. That is not at all bizarre.

Yes, it's bizarre and arbitrary. Let's illustrate with a thought exercise: If a player is injured for the playoffs, let's have an exception where a team can make a trade for a replacement. Essentially, an injury exception to the trade deadline for the playoffs, the same way there's an injury exception to the salary cap for the regular season.

You'd have the same questions about the legitimacy of injuries that teams are claiming, you'd have the same "convenient" injuries that allow teams to ice a stronger roster than they would have if the player wasn't injured at all.

Why is it that in the playoffs, we accept that injuries are an unfortunate part of the game, but during the regular season we don't?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
And with that, LTIR is still not "some bizarre contract exception."
That is correct, no matter how many times people want to argue otherwise by complaining about this season like it couldn't (didn't) happen in any prior season. I still eagerly look forward to all their bad ideas to "fix" this problem that will merely create more problems.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Yes, it's bizarre and arbitrary. Let's illustrate with a thought exercise: If a player is injured for the playoffs, let's have an exception where a team can make a trade for a replacement. Essentially, an injury exception to the trade deadline for the playoffs, the same way there's an injury exception to the salary cap for the regular season.

You'd have the same questions about the legitimacy of injuries that teams are claiming, you'd have the same "convenient" injuries that allow teams to ice a stronger roster than they would have if the player wasn't injured at all.

Why is it that in the playoffs, we accept that injuries are an unfortunate part of the game, but during the regular season we don't?
Because the salary cap is all about cost containment, and during the playoffs the players are not paid and there are no costs to contain.

That's why.

If you're thinking there should be other rules in place to ensure competitive balance thats fine and dandy, but it has nothing to do with LTIR, nor with the salary cap at all.

I can't imagine any owners or players agreeing to a rule that prevents players who are under contract and fit to play from playing for their respective teams during the playoffs.

Why don't you propose a draft rule to that effect and see how it flies?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If the PA or the owners see this as a big enough problem to be fixed, they may fix it. Otherwise, why worry about it? If it makes the NHL unenjoyable for you, stop following the NHL and spend that time doing something enjoyable.

Reactions: Ciao

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Because the salary cap is all about cost containment, and during the playoffs the players are not paid and there are no costs to contain.

That's why.

If you're thinking there should be other rules in place to ensure competitive balance thats fine and dandy, but it has nothing to do with LTIR, nor with the salary cap at all.

I can't imagine any owners or players agreeing to a rule that prevents players who are under contract and fit to play from playing for their respective teams during the playoffs.

Why don't you propose a draft rule to that effect and see how it flies?

So the cap is not about competitive balance at all?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Then no cap is needed at all. Owners can simply set their own internal cap and not worry about what other owners are spending.
You can't just not worry about what other owners are spending. The other owners set the market for what you end up spending.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The cap is about money and profits.

Imagine thinking the owners care how much you enjoy the product. They don't have to because the league has no competition.

I'm under no illusion about the owners, but my point is that the cap has to be about competitive balance. Owners want the ability to ice a competitive team without the spiraling costs the league saw when Bobby Holik was making $9 million a year. If you remove competitive balance as a goal, you no longer have a need for a cap at all.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
You can't just not worry about what other owners are spending. The other owners set the market for what you end up spending.

There are roster limits and you can simply sign whoever is left. Remember, we're completely setting aside the issue of competitive balance, so the fact that you now have an AHL roster or worse is not a problem.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Then no cap is needed at all. Owners can simply set their own internal cap and not worry about what other owners are spending.
Sounds good to me. I would be all for that.

However, that's not the view of the NHL. The Commisioner bluntly said the owners were spending g too much on player salaries before the cap, and that's why they locked the players out twice to achieve cost certainty, not to ensure the Devils, Ducks and Hurricanes could compete with the Leafs and Rangers -- as if that were hardly necessary.

I suggest you wrap your proposal for recission of the salary cap up with your restrictions on healthy players under contract playing in the playoffs and see where that takes you.

I don't think you would get too far.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Sounds good to me. I would be all for that.

However, that's not the view of the NHL. The Commisioner bluntly said the owners were spending g too much on player salaries before the cap, and that's why they locked the players out twice to achieve cost certainty, not to ensure the Devils, Ducks and Hurricanes could compete with the Leafs and Rangers -- as if that were hardly necessary.

I suggest you wrap your proposal for recission of the salary cap up with your restrictions on healthy players under contract playing in the playoffs and see where that takes you.

I don't think you would get too far.

I would prefer no cap or a luxury tax system with no loopholes to what we have now, which is a "hard cap" with giant loopholes that get abused and piss off fans.

The views of the NHL and what the owners and players are likely to do are irrelevant to what I prefer.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm under no illusion about the owners, but my point is that the cap has to be about competitive balance. Owners want the ability to ice a competitive team without the spiraling costs the league saw when Bobby Holik was making $9 million a year. If you remove competitive balance as a goal, you no longer have a need for a cap at all.

You're overestimating how much owners want or need a competitive team. To an extent, sure, because the product you're selling is hockey and you need to be able to play hockey, but it's probably not one of the bigger driving forces.

Sports fans are loyal to their clan and it's a rather inelastic demand. You also have to factor in how advertisers see the market which has nothing to do with hockey. We have very little evidence that on-ice success correlates with finances.

The Rangers and Leafs have one Cup between them since the Vietnam War and their profits are off the charts. Tampa is the best constructed team arguably in pro sports and their operating income is in the red. You could say the exact same of the Devils in the 90's.

There are roster limits and you can simply sign whoever is left. Remember, we're completely setting aside the issue of competitive balance, so the fact that you now have an AHL roster or worse is not a problem.
Teams have done this.

Before the cap floor, the Blackhawks actively iced the cheapest team they could. The Senators *still* try to do this.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Kucherov is injured.

That's why he is not playing.
For how long? What's his recovery time expected. What would actually happen of say in the next 2 weeks he and the doctors say he is cleared to play?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Restrictions on roster sizes and the trade deadline were in effect long before the salary cap. It's not a cap issue.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I would prefer no cap or a luxury tax system with no loopholes to what we have now, which is a "hard cap" with giant loopholes that get abused and piss off fans.

The views of the NHL and what the owners and players are likely to do are irrelevant to what I prefer.
And vice versa.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
For how long? What's his recovery time expected. What would actually happen of say in the next 2 weeks he and the doctors say he is cleared to play?
Maybe you should direct your enquiry to someone with access to Kucherov's personal health information.

The rest of us really wouldn't have a clue.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Maybe you should direct your enquiry to someone with access to Kucherov's personal health information.

The rest of us really wouldn't have a clue.
It would be capwise topic of interest and several here seem to act like cap masters

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You can see it pretty clearly in a sport like baseball that has no salary floor. Several MLB teams every year are very obviously not trying because just not having a team is more cost-effective than trying to make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad