The NHL 100 Team(s)

Should D-men be broken up by left versus right handed shooters?

• Yes

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • No

Votes: 28 57.1%
  • Doesn't Matter/Don't Care

Votes: 13 26.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
The NFL Network is currently airing a series that breaks down the top 100 players in NFL history by position. I'd like to do something similar here for the NHL. We will select our 100 players by position, which will give us 5 full 20 man rosters. The breakdown will be as follows: 20 LW, 20 C, 20 RW, 30 D, 10 G.

Before we get started I would like to know if you think D-men should be broken down by the way they shoot (left vs right). I definitely want the list to be broken down into LW/RW as opposed to just wingers but I'm on the fence if the handiness of D-men should matter

Please let me know your thoughts on this as well as any other feedback you have for this exercise and then I'll get the first official poll up and running shortly

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Well, if you want to split it up, it shouldnt be by handedness but which side they played on for the majority of their lives. I mean wingers dont get split up on handedness, so why should D be?

The GOAT D shot left but played RD. Putting Orr on LD is like putting Jagr on LW.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
Well, if you want to split it up, it shouldnt be by handedness but which side they played on for the majority of their lives. I mean wingers dont get split up on handedness, so why should D be?

The GOAT D shot left but played RD. Putting Orr on LD is like putting Jagr on LW.

I don't disagree with this sentiment but just know it would be a lot harder to find the side each D played on for the majority of their careers vs their actual handedness, unless there was an online resource that had this info that I am unaware of?

With this in mind, it would probably be easier to just lump all the D together then

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Why only 30 d-men? There's 60 forwards, so you should have, by ratio of 3/2, 40 d-men.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
Why only 30 d-men? There's 60 forwards, so you should have, by ratio of 3/2, 40 d-men.

It's 20 LW, 20 C, 20 RW, so D-men will outnumber each F position on it's own (30 to 20) but not collectively.

I think that makes sense considering a standard 20 man roster has 4 of each forward position for a total of 12 forwards and only 6 D-men

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
It's 20 LW, 20 C, 20 RW, so D-men will outnumber each F position on it's own (30 to 20) but not collectively.

I think that makes sense considering a standard 20 man roster has 4 of each forward position for a total of 12 forwards and only 6 D-men
Fair enough. Carry on.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
I don't disagree with this sentiment but just know it would be a lot harder to find the side each D played on for the majority of their careers vs their actual handedness, unless there was an online resource that had this info that I am unaware of?

With this in mind, it would probably be easier to just lump all the D together then

Yeah, its hard to know which side they played on. But if youre personally interested, theres this thread here.

Defensemen - which side did they play?

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I don’t understand why wingers are always differentiated by side but defensemen aren’t.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Appreciate this resource thanks

I'm not against doing it but the consensus seems to be that it doesn't matter to most people

My post wasn’t meant to say “why wouldn’t you differentiate defensemen by side?”, but rather “why do we differentiate wingers but not defensemen?”

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
My post wasn’t meant to say “why wouldn’t you differentiate defensemen by side?”, but rather “why do we differentiate wingers but not defensemen?”

Because the side a winger played in his career is easily trackable while the side each D played is not.

Also, there are many, many wingers throughout history that didn't even play one shift on the opposite wing throughout their careers. Just would look funny to me to have guys like Jagr and Selanne at LW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad