The NEXT week will define this team

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I predict that the team will do better in the next 5 games against middling/struggling teams than they will against the top teams we'll be facing in April...

March - STL (x2), CLB, NSH, VAN - prediction 5GP: 2-2-1-5pts

April - ANA (x3), CHI, LA, MIN, VAN (x2), CGY (x3), PHO, COL - prediction 14GP: 5-7-3-13pts

So no, the next 5 games will not define the Oilers, even if they creep up the standings for a few days. They'll drop down again by the end and miss the playoffs. Debbie downer I know, but the April schedule is tougher.

I don't think our record will be that bad in the last 14.. The three vs. Calgary we should win at least 2, if not all 3. Especially if they trade Iginla. We often play well against Chicago, Phoenix and Colorado. The Minnesota game and the Anaheim games are going to be very tough and the LA, VAN games are a toss up IMO. If we win what we're expected to I believe we will go 7-4-3. The Calgary, Phoenix and Colorado games are must win. That should be 5 games we win.

I think this part of the season is the toughest part because we never play good against Nashville or St.Louis, and Columbus and Vancouver are in the same situation as us battling hard. I would be happy to get out 2-2-1. Anything better is great.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I don't think our record will be that bad in the last 14.. The three vs. Calgary we should win at least 2, if not all 3. Especially if they trade Iginla. We often play well against Chicago, Phoenix and Colorado. The Minnesota game and the Anaheim games are going to be very tough and the LA, VAN games are a toss up IMO. If we win what we're expected to I believe we will go 7-4-3. The Calgary, Phoenix and Colorado games are must win. That should be 5 games we win.

I think this part of the season is the toughest part because we never play good against Nashville or St.Louis, and Columbus and Vancouver are in the same situation as us battling hard. I would be happy to get out 2-2-1. Anything better is great.

Optimistic to say the least. I know Calgary sucks but when is the last time the Oilers won 3 straight versus the Flames?

Can't count on a win vs Chicago obviously... even though they play well against them often.

I think it will be a hell of a struggle just averaging a point per game over the next 19. Almost every one of those teams they face are battling for a spot and most probably will still be 10 games from now as well. Avs/Jackets/Coyotes aren't ready to throw in the towel and Vancouver will be battling for a spot until the end.

The toss up games are just that... could go either way and you'd have to think .500 over those games is about the best they could do.

I hate being overly down on them but I don't see how they are going to start reeling off 4-5 wins in a row (which they need) when they haven't mustered more than 2 straight so far.

Look at the last 5 games... a decent stretch with points in all of them yet the Oilers are still in 13th... just 3 pts out of dead last in the West. They need a string of WINS.. not just loser points making it look like they are competitive when it's really doing nothing except spinning their wheels in futility.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
This is total bs, how can people say this about a team that was 2nd last a year ago. They beat Chicago, almost twice, and competed against top teams all season. They have had only 5 games where they were very bad. Compare that to last year! Try having a little perspective for once

Huh?

You do realize the NHL has rules regarding how points are awarded right?

Take a "PERSPECTIVE" at the NHL standings and tell me if you see any columns for "ALMOST" or "COMPETED AGAINST TOP TEAMS".

Don't even bother getting back to me with whatever it is you learn.:shakehead

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
This is total bs, how can people say this about a team that was 2nd last a year ago. They beat Chicago, almost twice, and competed against top teams all season. They have had only 5 games where they were very bad. Compare that to last year! Try having a little perspective for once

More bs.

This is the oilers record this year after 29GP:

11 11 7 29pts

This is the oilers record last year after 29GP

14 12 3 31pts

Please explain how we are better this year..

Lets also note we had MORE wins last year and less dependence on kissing sister points.

camboy

Oct 16, 2003
Victoria, BC
If the Oilers have any hope for the playoffs, #93 and #14 need to step it up big time. Also, Dubnyk will need to take his game to the next level.

Sloth Slothersons*

If the Oilers have any hope for the playoffs, #93 and #14 need to step it up big time. Also, Dubnyk will need to take his game to the next level.

#93 is as sick as a goose.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
More bs.

11 11 7 29pts

14 12 3 31pts

Lets also note we had MORE wins last year and less dependence on kissing sister points.
Yup. It's amazing how this is lost on some folks. Again, we're only in the playoff race because of the excessive inter-conference games and the shortened schedule.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
More bs.

11 11 7 29pts

14 12 3 31pts

That's fine and all but what was there record in a middle section of 29 games, or the last 29 games. Or what was there record at 50 games which would better represent your example here 3/5ths of the season. Plus your ignoring that this is a unique season, with a condensed schedule. Possibly harder for a young team, but I'm only speculating.

All I know is I see a team that is far more competitive overall then last year, especially against elite teams. Unfortunately our current record has been marred by losing games we should have closed out.

IMO we are moving in the right direction.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
More bs.

11 11 7 29pts
14 12 3 31pts

BTW 3/5 of the season 2011/12 : 50 games in
19-26-5 43/100 potential points

11-11-7 29/58 potential points

50% vs 43% I would say that's better, ie we still have a chance with .500 hockey

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Agreed the loss last night was extremely frustrating. But that being said we haven't lost (much) ground. This team has a ton of potential and next week we will see what the Oilers are made of.

Arguably our toughest week of the year, 4 games in 7 days, or 5 in 8 days. With a back to back on the road against the Preds and Blues. Plus 3 games at home (another Vs Blues, the Canucks and a hot Columbus team:shakehead).

Getting 7 points would be an amazing achievement, and should put us in a good spot for a run for the playoffs in April.

If we don't get that this teams playoff hopes become minuscule, that being said its a hard run and all I am really hoping for, and should be expected is a strong competitive effort.

Predictions and discuss

forget the next week defining the team. the St. Louis game should have shown everyone EXACTLY where the Oilers stand as a team.

oh yeah. that strong, competitive effort you hoped for? not happening.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
forget the next week defining the team. the St. Louis game should have shown everyone EXACTLY where the Oilers stand as a team.

oh yeah. that strong, competitive effort you hoped for? not happening.

I don't know if you actually watched or not but I thought they played hard, St. Louis outclassed us tonight, and we made mistakes that they capitalized on.

Rip me if you want, but I never stated the Oilers were better than the Blues, as I said all I wanted was them to compete and they did, just couldn't get it going tonight.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I don't know if you actually watched or not but I thought they played hard, St. Louis outclassed us tonight, and we made mistakes that they capitalized on.

Rip me if you want, but I never stated the Oilers were better than the Blues, as I said all I wanted was them to compete and they did, just couldn't get it going tonight.

disagree. the blues are a good team and play a good system, but I'm, having a hard time seeing where the effort was put in by the players. looked more like they knew the blues were better so they mailed in the effort because there was a ready made excuse for them.
if this game is what you call good effort and try, then the oilers will be fighting for bottom of the conference this week.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Hey just wanted to resurrect this thread since those 5 games have passed.

Oilers won 3 in a row and got a respectable 6 out 10 points (I wanted 7), after losing the first 2 games. Other than the 9 game road trip, this was definitely one of the toughest stretches of the year against a number of hot teams. And we took down some hot goaltenders.

Vancouver - 6 gm win streak stopped cold, Schneider prior 6gm (.98 sv%, 1.00 GAA)

Columbus - 6-1-3 in L10 before facing Oil, Bobrovsky prior 10gm (.958 sv%, 3 shutouts)

Split against strong St. Louis team, home-an-home, both 3-0 games

Terrible start, decent 3 period effort Vs Nashville, not much else positive from that one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->