The NEXT week will define this team

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Agreed the loss last night was extremely frustrating. But that being said we haven't lost (much) ground. This team has a ton of potential and next week we will see what the Oilers are made of.

Arguably our toughest week of the year, 4 games in 7 days, or 5 in 8 days. With a back to back on the road against the Preds and Blues. Plus 3 games at home (another Vs Blues, the Canucks and a hot Columbus team:shakehead).

Getting 7 points would be an amazing achievement, and should put us in a good spot for a run for the playoffs in April.

If we don't get that this teams playoff hopes become minuscule, that being said its a hard run and all I am really hoping for, and should be expected is a strong competitive effort.

Predictions and discuss

Last edited:

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
They've already defined themselves via a multitude of damning stats. Like I said in the "Are the playoffs still makeable?" thread: The only reason we're still in the playoff race is because of the shortened season. If we're talking a full 82 game schedule we're tracking no differently than the previous three seasons.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Ya but were are definitely playing better hockey in the previous 5, and we just finished the hardest road trip in history, so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt here.

I am probably more wishful, then my prediction of 7 points. But this is a team that has the skills to do it. Never would have even come close to this amount of optimism the last 4 years.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well the team is on pace for ~48 pts which would be good for ~82 pts over a regular 82 game season... definitely still mediocre but also quite a step up from the last 3 years when they were in the low 60's to low 70's point range each year.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Well the team is on pace for ~48 pts which would be good for ~82 pts over a regular 82 game season... definitely still mediocre but also quite a step up from the last 3 years when they were in the low 60's to low 70's point range each year.
Yeah, but you're discounting the inevitable fall-off. ;) In Hall and Eberle's rookie season we were actually in the playoff race picture in December before everything fell apart.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
As for the poll.. gotta go with the good old reliable point per game pace... which basically doesn't change much in the standings except run out the clock out on the season.

Oilers will still likely be 11th/12th place 5 games from now but by then they'll have even less time to magic up a hot streak to get them close to a playoff spot.

Oddly enough I don't think they feel enough pressure yet because there's too many games left... I'm betting they'll put together their best winning streak of the year... something like 5-6 wins in a row just when it's too late and then everyone will be saying... why didn't they play like that when it meant something and they could have got in.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Is there a way to edit the Poll, ?mods? I would like to have 6-8 and 4-5 as the middle choices instead.

Oct 15, 2008
Ya its 5 in 7 but you wouldn't expect the Chicago and Anaheim to be playing there top line ups there, especially in a shortend season, they are gonna want some rest before Playoffs

Not if home ice is at stake.

A half hearted lineup from Anaheim or Chicago is still a big mountain for this team to climb. Much more difficult than a struggling Nashville team.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Not if home ice is at stake.

A half hearted lineup from Anaheim or Chicago is still a big mountain for this team to climb. Much more difficult than a struggling Nashville team.

True that is the catch, but I'm hoping for at least 4-5 points of separation then as well, lot of ifs, I know. Regardless if they don't get through this recent stretch then that one wont matter anyway.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
In a tight year like this I don't think there will be many (if any) easy games down the stretch.

Teams that are out of it will likely become spoilers... you know a team like Calgary would just LOVE to beat the Oilers if they are already out and they can take down the Oilers as well.

Same goes for the Canucks... and the Oilers play those two teams 6 fricken times.

Throw in 3 vs the Ducks who are close to unbeatable so far. 1 vs Chicago (might be one of the few easy game for the Oilers. :).. 2 vs the Wild who never make it easy plus 2 vs the Blues... just seems brutally tough down the stretch.

I will say this... if the Oilers manage to squeak into the playoffs after this tough schedule I'd personally give them a good shot at a first round upset because they'd have to be playing well and like a playoff team just to make the playoffs.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
The last game already defined this team

:laugh: holy crap Columbus is ahead of us! :handclap:

Edmonton in the league lead with 7 points from ot/shootout losses

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Getting 7 points would be an amazing achievement, and should put us in a good spot for a run for the playoffs in April.
Seven points from ten is not an amazing achievement. Its acceptable hockey.
Since the Oilers don't play hockey too well, I imagine they'll get three or four points.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I predict they fold like a cheap tent. Last nights loss was an emotional ass kicking. They don't have the fortitude to rebound.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Agreed the loss last night was extremely frustrating. But that being said we haven't lost (much) ground. This team has a ton of potential and next week we will see what the Oilers are made of.

Arguably our toughest week of the year, 4 games in 7 days, or 5 in 8 days. With a back to back on the road against the Preds and Blues. Plus 3 games at home (another Vs Blues, the Canucks and a hot Columbus team:shakehead).

If we don't get that this teams playoff hopes become minuscule, that being said its a hard run and all I am really hoping for, and should be expected is a strong competitive effort.

Predictions and discuss

I dunno dude. I think last nights game showed EXACTLY what the Oilers are made of this season.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I predict they fold like a cheap tent. Last nights loss was an emotional ass kicking. They don't have the fortitude to rebound.

I predict they put Khabibulin in net and win with or without Nuge. We will not make playoffs but we don't suck anymore.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly in a shortened season every stretch of games will define our team. It's getting old. Simply put from here on out we need to be getting points more often then not or we are out.

Turrican*

1-4-0 in our next 5.

Book it.

Mentally, this team is too weak and this loss has broken them.
They had a lead and a chance to get into a playoff spot, if only for one day and they ****ed it up.

Bad things from here on in.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
ya we just played our "playoff game" for the year...losing a 2-goal lead AGAIN in the 3rd period probably shattered their confidence

1-2-2 sounds about right

St. Louis L
Nashville W
St. Louis OTL
Columbus OTL
Vancouver L

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
I predict that the team will do better in the next 5 games against middling/struggling teams than they will against the top teams we'll be facing in April...

March - STL (x2), CLB, NSH, VAN - prediction 5GP: 2-2-1-5pts

April - ANA (x3), CHI, LA, MIN, VAN (x2), CGY (x3), PHO, COL - prediction 14GP: 5-7-3-13pts

So no, the next 5 games will not define the Oilers, even if they creep up the standings for a few days. They'll drop down again by the end and miss the playoffs. Debbie downer I know, but the April schedule is tougher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad