The Next Wave(Will LA find skill?)

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be
My bubble is silicone reinforced and will not burst. I say 6 of these prospects will make it and do well....and 3 others will eventually be traded to acquire 24-29 year old capable, NHL players.
PJBII be like

images

Reactions: lumbergh

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
My bubble is silicone reinforced and will not burst. I say 6 of these prospects will make it and do well....and 3 others will eventually be traded to acquire 24-29 year old capable, NHL players.

LOL 6 would be absolutely fantastic, but probably not reality. I would say 4 makeit, and I agree 3 will be traded....depends on when in their development, but sounds about right.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I like the depth of the prospect pool but not really seeing anything elite, like a Kopitar or Doughty type player. I'm surprised many rate it so highly.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Even when the Kings are listed by multiple rankings as having the best pipeline in the NHL - with more picks incoming and almost assuredly another top 5 pick in 2020 - people are still negative and miserable. I mean damn people allow yourselves to be positive and happy that the future is bright for this organization, and in just a few months we'll have a NEW #1 prospect.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
6 is very possible. The saying goes "it's a good draft if 2-3 players make it."

There are players listed for the 2017, 2018, 2019 draft. So if the Kings get 3 decent drafts in a row (and develop them well), then 6 is pretty attainable.

Though I'd just be happy if 3-4 make it at this point.

Reactions: BigKing

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
By all metrics we are playing good hockey besides goaltending and finish. We are routinely rated as having the best prospect pool in the league. This is exactly how a rebuild should be going.

We just don't have the horses right now, but a few graduations and we should be seeing some improvement.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
On another note, there's an app called NHL Rank King. As the name implies, it does various rankings, including prospects.

At least for now, Kaliyev is the highest ranked Kings prospect in PNHLe - a projection of where his career will be in the NHL. It accounts for age, points, league, etc. His PNHLe puts him between a first liner and superstar.

Keep in mind this isn't be all, end all. Just another piece of the puzzle.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
6 is very possible. The saying goes "it's a good draft if 2-3 players make it."

There are players listed for the 2017, 2018, 2019 draft. So if the Kings get 3 decent drafts in a row (and develop them well), then 6 is pretty attainable.

Though I'd just be happy if 3-4 make it at this point.

Yep. It's why I preached caution in my post in the Blake is a Problem? thread. Four of the Top 7 listed are from this past draft and five of the Top 10. The odds of all four of that Top 7 making it are not very good but it would be quite the draft if it happens.

It's tough though. Like, JAD was a 2nd round pick that everyone was immediately high on. Makes the NHL squad last year and plays in some games before going back down to the WHL where he is still productive. Now he's got 23 points in 43 games in the AHL so he drops all the way down to #11 and is behind Jordan Spence?

So, was JAD never that good or are the shinier new toys overrated? Is Thomas actually that much better? I'm not saying yes or no but I will say that JAD has always looked better than Thomas in rookie games and pre-season games but Thomas hasn't failed to light up the AHL and is currently riding the wave of the WJC winner: his only goal of the tournament.

It is great to have hope again and to have what appears to be solid depth, i.e. JAD at #11 who looks like some sort of NHL player. Someone out of that Top 5 list is going to really disappoint though and we have to realize that before making future lineups that consist of all of these kids plus Kopitar/Doughty/Kempe and Lizotte.

Reactions: King'sPawn

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
LOL 6 would be absolutely fantastic, but probably not reality. I would say 4 makeit, and I agree 3 will be traded....depends on when in their development, but sounds about right.
Gabriel Vilardi
Alex Turotte
Tobias Bjornfot
Mikey Anderson
Are the guys I can see making the Kings and being anything from building blocks to solid NHLers
JAD
Arthur Kaliyev
Rasmus Kupari
Kale Clague
Akil Thomas
Samuel Fagemo
Sean Durzi
Austin Strand
Carl Grundstrom
Aiden Dudas
Are kids that need seasoning, need to remain healthy, need to improve all around and ust really need more AHL time..

So thats 4, I bolded 2 who I can see being moved/traded and the rest need to develop into depth that we sorely need

Last edited:

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
Yeah, you can sit back and say "Out of those 20 prospects on average only 4 are going to do anything in the NHL" and you may be right, that's may be the average. But the thing about this Kings prospect pool is there's SO much depth. Maybe we don't have any clearly elite level prospects (I still think Turcotte, Vilardi, and Kaliyev all have a chance to be elite NHL players), but we have SO many really really good players.

There's players in the Kings pool that may not crack the Kings' top 10 prospects but would likely be in the top 5 in most other pools around the league.

I'm well aware not all of these guys are going to pan out, but I think people will be surprised how many of these kids actually do end up having NHL careers (varying in longevity and success of course, but still).

The average might be 4 out of 20 but this isn't an average prospect pool by any means. That said, you definitely might be right and there definitely might only be 4 prospects that end up making an impact in the NHL, but I really don't see that being the case given this crop of players.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Gabriel Vilardi
Alex Turotte
Tobias Bjornfot
Mikey Anderson
Are the guys I can see making the Kings and being anything from building blocks to solid NHLers
JAD
Arthur Kaliyev
Rasmus Kupari
Kale Clague
Akil Thomas
Samuel Fagemo
Sean Durzi
Austin Strand
Carl Grundstrom
Aiden Dudas
Are kids that need seasoning, need to remain healthy, need to improve all around and ust really need more AHL time..

So thats 4, I bolded 2 who I can see being moved/traded and the rest need to develop into depth that we sorely need

I think you add Kaliyev to that top group, I would move Anderson down for now, for the bottom, Strand, Dudas, Thomas are the question marks for me, I would also trade Clague, Fagemo if it looks like their development might stall, I think JAD might be a solid 3rd line C down the line..

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yep. It's why I preached caution in my post in the Blake is a Problem? thread. Four of the Top 7 listed are from this past draft and five of the Top 10. The odds of all four of that Top 7 making it are not very good but it would be quite the draft if it happens.

It's tough though. Like, JAD was a 2nd round pick that everyone was immediately high on. Makes the NHL squad last year and plays in some games before going back down to the WHL where he is still productive. Now he's got 23 points in 43 games in the AHL so he drops all the way down to #11 and is behind Jordan Spence?

So, was JAD never that good or are the shinier new toys overrated? Is Thomas actually that much better? I'm not saying yes or no but I will say that JAD has always looked better than Thomas in rookie games and pre-season games but Thomas hasn't failed to light up the AHL and is currently riding the wave of the WJC winner: his only goal of the tournament.

It is great to have hope again and to have what appears to be solid depth, i.e. JAD at #11 who looks like some sort of NHL player. Someone out of that Top 5 list is going to really disappoint though and we have to realize that before making future lineups that consist of all of these kids plus Kopitar/Doughty/Kempe and Lizotte.

I understand and agree. My biggest issue with a lot of these lists is how reactionary they get.

Of course, an older prospect who doesn't raise his value will drop in value. And I understand there's fluidity.

Of course, I know this sounds like a shameless plug because I write for him, but it's one of the things I like about John Hoven's lists. He gets feedback from people within the Kings organization and those more familiar with the prospects to see where they stand. Of course, misses happen, but it better reflects how the Kings see these guys.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I think you add Kaliyev to that top group, I would move Anderson down for now, for the bottom, Strand, Dudas, Thomas are the question marks for me, I would also trade Clague, Fagemo if it looks like their development might stall, I think JAD might be a solid 3rd line C down the line..
No, Kaliyev for all his talent will need to marinate a bit in Ontario while he grows his overall game.
Mikey is pretty much Marty 2.0, arguably better all around at the same stage in their careers.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
No, Kaliyev for all his talent will need to marinate a bit in Ontario while he grows his overall game.
Mikey is pretty much Marty 2.0, arguably better all around at the same stage in their careers.

Didn't realize you were talking about next year.

8randyn

Aug 14, 2011
Valencia, CA
Next year is going to be much different in that our projected top 6 prospects are going to actually get top 6 minutes. That is how these players will develop in the NHL. It's time to move Kopitar to 2C, Iafallo and Brown to the third line and let our young upcoming players get big ice time, learn through trial and error, and be guided by the veterans.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Next year is going to be much different in that our projected top 6 prospects are going to actually get top 6 minutes. That is how these players will develop in the NHL. It's time to move Kopitar to 2C, Iafallo and Brown to the third line and let our young upcoming players get big ice time, learn through trial and error, and be guided by the veterans.

Sorry....what? top 6 minutes where?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Didn't realize you were talking about next year.
yeah my bad... I think Arthur is 2 years out.. His scoring alone will force him to be on the Kings, the bigger question is how much will he improve until then..
Mikey will get his cup of coffee then hopefully help the Reign with their push to make the playoffs..

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
yeah my bad... I think Arthur is 2 years out.. His scoring alone will force him to be on the Kings, the bigger question is how much will he improve until then..
Mikey will get his cup of coffee then hopefully help the Reign with their push to make the playoffs..

If we are talking strictly next year, I see, JAD, Bjornfoot, and possibly Vilardi which will piss everyone off, but I think they are gonna shelter him, make sure his body is ready and they are gonna be cautious as hell.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
If we are talking strictly next year, I see, JAD, Bjornfoot, and possibly Vilardi which will piss everyone off, but I think they are gonna shelter him, make sure his body is ready and they are gonna be cautious as hell.

Yeah. I think Vilardi and Bjornfot are lightly penciled in for next season but a poor camp could change that.

I don't think that JAD is a Top 6 but, besides, I fully expect the 19/11/23 line to be rolled right back again next year barring Lafreniere. So I agree that expecting a Top 6 full of kids will lead to disappointment as there are only three spots available.

I don't expect any of the 2019 forwards to be on the opening night roster, although Fagemo might make a case for that.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I think people around here quickly forget that Kopitar was drafted #11 overall. I know much of that was due to him being Slovenian, but he played in heavily-scouted Sweden nonetheless. Doughty is the only player on the team who was billed as a franchise player before he was drafted. Just as some won't meet their ceilings, others will blow past them, and having the depth and talent in our pool gives us the best shot to have both of those things happen, which is great.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Yeah. I think Vilardi and Bjornfot are lightly penciled in for next season but a poor camp could change that.

I don't think that JAD is a Top 6 but, besides, I fully expect the 19/11/23 line to be rolled right back again next year barring Lafreniere. So I agree that expecting a Top 6 full of kids will lead to disappointment as there are only three spots available.

I don't expect any of the 2019 forwards to be on the opening night roster, although Fagemo might make a case for that.

I think JAD takes 3rd/4th line C duties......depending on how ready they think he is

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I see Vilardi starting at RW, he's not ready to handle/nor should he have to handle the burden of a full NHL season at center. He's a scorer and will be a boon to this team no matter which of the top 3 lines he plays on.
JAD I am not sold on, he's all hustle but needs more physical maturation to handle the load a 3C/4C/RW will require. He really seems like a taller Blake Lizotte without the physicality.. which is telling considering Blake is tiny. Right now, JAD isnt better than Lizotte, Amadio, Grundstrom, Kempe, Prokhorkin and Gabe..
Bjornfot's journey is a bit more complicated. He should not be paired with Doughty at the moment as he is simply not ready, he could benefit from another year in Ontario. Even a half season would do wonders for his development both physically and mentally. The other key will be who/what veteran we bring in as a RHD to help mentor/shelter/protect him and Mikey... Sean and Matt cannot be paired with either as they would simply be outmuscled and exploited.
Thats just the way i see it...
Next season needs to continue the sell off and hopefully Prokhorkin returns, Gabe earns his way on the Kings and another defenseman breaks through...

KopitarGOAT420

Jan 30, 2020
USA
I think people around here quickly forget that Kopitar was drafted #11 overall. I know much of that was due to him being Slovenian, but he played in heavily-scouted Sweden nonetheless. Doughty is the only player on the team who was billed as a franchise player before he was drafted. Just as some won't meet their ceilings, others will blow past them, and having the depth and talent in our pool gives us the best shot to have both of those things happen, which is great.

Very good point.

And Vilardi fell to #11 overall similar to Kopitar. He was a projected top 3/top 5 pick for most of his draft year if I'm not mistaken. It's not hard to find old comments/posts from fans of other teams talking about how they should draft him in the top 10 or even trade up to draft him earlier (top 3/5). He's an incredibly talented player that could be one of those guys to blow past expectations just like Kopitar did years ago.

Reactions: lumbergh

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

True in the sense that there could be ones that blow past it. We are already tabbing Kaliyev as one of those as well as Fagemo as they are not being discussed like their draft positions would generally dictate.

Kopitar is an outlier though. Top ranked European. ISS had him at 6th overall and, really, it all came down to the Slovenian thing. If he was playing Juniors in Canada, he would have been super hyped.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->