The Next Wave: US Power forwards - Rank Them

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think this year has given us a slight glimpse at a number of strong power forwards that are coming up for the US. Some havent played that many games to showcase their skill one way or another, but I think the promise is there for many of these kids.

The term power forward is something that isnt easily defined nowadays, but for the sake of argument, I am going by a player that plays tough, has size, and can score some goals. pretty simple.

Here is a list of future power forward prospects that I could see as being legitimate NHLers very soon if not already..

Please rank them on highest upside to lowest.

Thanks

Ryan Stoa - 6'3 200 - Colorado Avalanche

Nick Palmieri - 6'2 215 - New Jersey Devils

Max Pacioretty - 6'1 205 - Montreal Canadiens

Eric Tangradi - 6'4 221 - Pittsburg Penguins

Patrick Maroon - 6'4 225 - Anaheim Ducks

Tom Sestito - 6'5 228 - Columbus Blue Jackets

Blake Geoffrion - 6'2 195 - Nashville Predators

Jim O'brien - 6'2 200 - Ottawa Senators

this is a pretty solid group of young up and coming power forwards, could this group turn into being the next Tkachuk, Leclair, Deadmarsh, and Guerin???

Huis Clos*

Ryan Stoa is not a power forward in any sense of the term.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Ryan Stoa is not a power forward in any sense of the term.

I have been watching him since his USNDP days, then to U of Minnesota and beyond, in todays term of power forward, he is it.

As I said, the term is no longer what it used to be, but Stoa does play tough, scores goals, and has size...therefore he is a power forward for this thread. He isnt Cam Neely, but not many are anymore.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I have been watching him since his USNDP days, then to U of Minnesota and beyond, in todays term of power forward, he is it.

As I said, the term is no longer what it used to be, but Stoa does play tough, scores goals, and has size...therefore he is a power forward for this thread. He isnt Cam Neely, but not many are anymore.

Stoa is like Nathan Gerbe in a Chara like body and plays like Semin with no skill.

Blake Geoffrion
Eric Tangradi
Nick Palmieri
Max Pacioretty
Tom Sestito
Jim O'brien
Patrick Maroon
Ryan Stoa

member 30781

Geoffrion is as much a power forward as Jody Shelley is a playmaker.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

We will see what happens with Stoa, but he showed little to no compete level this year. A good example would have been in the last game where he just stood and watched as 5'7 Mark Olver got cross-checked about 30 times in the back of the head by Theo Peckam along the boards. He didn't show any initiative to try to move peckham, dig for the puck or do anything other than literally stand and watch.

It was beyond pathetic. He hasn't shown a desire to work or get involved physically at all. If I ever see him coast in on the dump and chase, then stand and watch as the other team takes it the other way I might start killing kittens or something. he sucks.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Its nice to see O'Brien mentioned with some of these names. He's had an outstanding year after getting called out by management in last year's end of year interviews.

He's a big man with good skating and showed off some soft hands this season in Bingo. He was on the verge of being labeled a bust this time in 2010 (by myself and others). 56 pts points in 74 games was a massive improvement from his 17 pts in 76 games in 09-10. He really stepped up when players like Greening, Butler and Condra were called up to the big team and Locke was injured.

If he can't become a top 6 player, he should be a nice energy line guy for the Sens in the future.

He's certainly a few notches below Geoffrion and Pacioretty but I don't know where he'd rank among the others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad