The Next Ovechkin

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Ovechkin, complete? The guy plays in one end of the ice. The other 2 hes invisible

Ovechkin had more takeaways than Crosby this year (26th in the league). Sure he gets lazy backchecking from time to time, but this stat suggests he's far from a 1 dimensional offensive player.

HockeyAndTheSox

Let's Go Pens&Yotes!
Sep 19, 2008
AZ & PA
Ovechkin had more takeaways than Crosby this year (26th in the league). Sure he gets lazy backchecking from time to time, but this stat suggests he's far from a 1 dimensional offensive player.

That doesn't make him any better defensively... Takeaways are definitely not a true indicator of whether or not you're a 2-way forward or not. Crosby is definitely not on the level of Z or Datsyuk in Detroit, mind you, nor is he on the level of Malkin - yet. But the combination of offense and his good positioning, backchecking, etc makes him a much more rounded player than Ovechkin is. Not to say I don't expect to see Ovechkin work on that part of his game down the line.

gravytrain6t

Mar 14, 2008
Long Island
How good do you guys think Grachev, Anisimov and Lisin will be for the Rangers team? Who do you think is the best prospect out of the 3? Although Lisin has played some NHL games with the Coyotes, I've never seen him play. And he is still considered a prospect here in the NHL. Any opinions on how good or bad these kids are? The Rangers also drafted Cherepanov. What a tragedy. May he R.I.P.

binary0x01

Jul 3, 2008
Idaho
code.computronium.io

Zine, don't bother posting these type of messages man. Ovechkin is not Canadian, so no matter how much better he is at whatever part of the game, they won't want to recognize it as anything significant. It is like pissing against the wind man.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I would say that Lisin has the most upside, but probably is the least likely to reach it.

My expectation for all 3 is of these players is that they will be good NHLers, but probably not stars.

theguy19

Mar 18, 2009
I don't seen any in the 1988 or 1989 generations right now with the same level of skill and the same type of game. After that, it is impossible to predict. Too many variables are to be taken into account (growth, change in style of play, approach to physical game that comes more around the age of 16 not 13-14, maturity, injuries, etc.)

Vasyunov is not bad at all. I see him more within the top 10-15 of the draft (although it becomes less and less meaningful and plausible without the NHL transfer agreement as the last 2 drafts proved it).

Anyway, if I had 2 cents (or kopeks), I would probably put them on Andrei Kuchin from CSKA Moscow. The guy has been head and shoulders above everybody in his age category (1991) every year.
Another guy I could put a couple of cents on would be Nikita Filatov from CSKA Moscow (1990) who has been dominating (although not as much as Kuchin).
In any case, neither of these players may amount to anything at the end of the day, but it could be interesting to see how they develop.

Not too sure about the Omsk guys(Avtaev, Baskakov, Papushkev or Berdnikov). Usually, the level of competition is not always the greatest in their region. Not excluded though, we will see. really not sure about Perezhogin (Viktor).
Funny to see how many guys never panned out.

Viktor Perezhogin is now playing in Canada. But I think you were referring to Alexandre when you made that post. Anyways, Viktor was drafted to the Erie Otters in the 2nd round of the CHL Import Draft, and now is on loan to a Junior 'A' team; Innisfil Lakers (GMHL).

I go to most of their games, he should be a top player in this league and develop a lot. He is a top 3 forward on this team, and should score at least 30 goals.

He is not a bust yet, will be in the 'O' next season, if not a D-I school.

pouskin74*

we have already heard about Nichuskin(95), Yakupov(93) , Grigorenko(94) . i just like to say some good words about Savely Ilijn ( 95) . in my opinion he is the one of the top prospect for 2013 draft from Russia.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Funny to see how many guys never panned out.

Viktor Perezhogin is now playing in Canada. But I think you were referring to Alexandre when you made that post. Anyways, Viktor was drafted to the Erie Otters in the 2nd round of the CHL Import Draft, and now is on loan to a Junior 'A' team; Innisfil Lakers (GMHL).

I go to most of their games, he should be a top player in this league and develop a lot. He is a top 3 forward on this team, and should score at least 30 goals.

He is not a bust yet, will be in the 'O' next season, if not a D-I school.
I find Vasyunov to be our best forward prospect at the AHL level. I don't really care that Zharkoc is putting up close to a PPG, Vasyunov's skills will translate to the NHL. He has great poise and patience while carrying the puck. He is shifty enough to create offense and he has one hell of a wrist shot when he uses it.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
what current undrafted under 18yr old will be the next ovechkin type player and can there be a russian player in russia who might be better

IMO, There will not be another Ovechkin, maybe someone like him, but not with the same tools Ovi has......not in our lifetime anyway....Filatov is a great young player with promising talent...but seriously...

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Zine, don't bother posting these type of messages man. Ovechkin is not Canadian, so no matter how much better he is at whatever part of the game, they won't want to recognize it as anything significant. It is like pissing against the wind man.

I disagree...I am one who dsn`t care of nationality....
And.....many people believe it was a conspiracy that Malkin won the Conn Smythe....I AM NOT ONE OF THEM, personally it was a toss up between Malkin, Crosby and Fleury, all could have made a solid case...
Personally, its all matter of opinion...and I form my opinion based on what I see....

Just to prove you wrong, and blow ur socks off, how bout this one.........ALEX SEMIN is the most talented hockey player I have ever seen.....If he ever had some heart, or a little desire to win....All he does is whine when he dsnt get his own way...he flashes in and flashes out every couple games....Put Ovechkins heart and desire in Semin....thats a scary thought for 29 NHL teams..........the 2 of them with backstrom in the middle....as the commercial says ``order up some more red light bulbs`` lol

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/04/17/valeri-nichushkin-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-8/

Valeri Nichushkin: 2013 NHL Draft Player Profile #8

We’ve reached that point in the draft rankings. The first time the dreaded “KHL Factor” or “Russian Factor” rears its ugly head in our draft rankings. The truth is that I’ve never bought the argument that Russians have less heart, or are lazy, or are enigmatic, or any of the other stereotypes that some scouts, media, and fans like to attribut to players born in Russia. I don’t buy it. And you can see in my draft rankings last year, where the top 2 players were Russian, or in my prospect rankings where I consider Evgeni Kuznetsov the best player not in the NHL right now.

Bullwhip Reds*

So you are looking for the next russian one trick pony with a broken nose who's never gonna win a stanley cup... there are so many candidates that I can't pick just one.

Jun 15, 2007
Ovechkin is a first ballot Hall of Famer, even if he retires tomorrow so he can carve balsa wood sculptures for tourists in Bermuda.

Anyway, this thread is depressing to read. So many names mentioned and not a single one has come close to becoming the next Ovechkin.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Crazy that some of you were talking about Vasyunov and now he's no longer living..

There were multiple pages of talk regarding Ostapchuk and he was on the plane as well. Sad to look back at that.

Bullwhip Reds*

Another great accomplishment for mighty alex. Enjoy your "broken foot" :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad