"The Next One", just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
With all the hype about the next two drafts and Crosby and Ovechkin, I've been seeing a lot of questions about "Which one is 'The Next One'?". "Who will be the next Wayne Gretzky". In my opinion there will never be another Wayne Gretzky.

I'm not putting Wayne on an untouchable plain here. I do believe eventually somebody will break his records. Maybe not for a long long time, but eventually it could happen.

What I'm saying is that Wayne Gretzky was not "The Next Gordie Howe". He was the first Wayne Gretzky. In all the interviews I've seen and articles I've read, it seems like both Sid and Alex are content to be the first Crosby and the first Ovechkin.

I hope when these guys get here they are not crucified for simply playing hockey and not being the "Next One"

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
MeffyuhTJRest said:
With all the hype about the next two drafts and Crosby and Ovechkin, I've been seeing a lot of questions about "Which one is 'The Next One'?". "Who will be the next Wayne Gretzky". In my opinion there will never be another Wayne Gretzky.

I'm not putting Wayne on an untouchable plain here. I do believe eventually somebody will break his records. Maybe not for a long long time, but eventually it could happen.

What I'm saying is that Wayne Gretzky was not "The Next Gordie Howe". He was the first Wayne Gretzky. In all the interviews I've seen and articles I've read, it seems like both Sid and Alex are content to be the first Crosby and the first Ovechkin.

I hope when these guys get here they are not crucified for simply playing hockey and not being the "Next One"
People don't necessarily mean that they will literally be like gretzky. They think he may reach the level of play that gretz reached.

No one compared gretz to howe because gretzky was far greater than howe.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Foppa_Rules said:
Nobody can break Gretzky's records in today's NHL. Wayne Gretzky couldn't beat Wayne Gretzky's records in today's league.
i know i don't even care about the numbers. i just want to see another player as good as gretz or mario.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Can't you be content with guys like Forsberg and Jagr, ect.? It's too much pressure to place on a young prospect to be the next Mario Lemeuix or Wayne Gretzky. I'd be prefectly happy if Ovechkin becomes the next Forsberg or what Jagr used to be before he cut his hair and got lazy.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Foppa_Rules said:
Can't you be content with guys like Forsberg and Jagr, ect.? It's too much pressure to place on a young prospect to be the next Mario Lemeuix or Wayne Gretzky. I'd be prefectly happy if Ovechkin becomes the next Forsberg or what Jagr used to be before he cut his hair and got lazy.
i was just rationalizing what most people mean when they say "the next one"

i'd be more than happy if ovechkin/crosby became as good as forsberg and jagr.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
MeffyuhTJRest said:

how many times can the same thing be said over and over again? This has to be atleast the 20th post in the last year that said this same meaningless unimportant babling!

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Dark Metamorphosis said:
i was just rationalizing what most people mean when they say "the next one"

i'd be more than happy if ovechkin/crosby became as good as forsberg and jagr.

So would I. We'll see which is which. ;). Crosby has a lot of proving to do. Ovechkin has proven himself more so far.

GoRyanMalone

Foppa_Rules said:
So would I. We'll see which is which. ;). Crosby has a lot of proving to do. Ovechkin has proven himself more so far.

I agree. Ovechkin is more proven.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
When we think of the greatest players of the game we tend to think of Orr, Howe, Gretzky and Lemieux at the top. All people want is the next in line, another player who can be listed up with those 4 as the best of the best, people who redefined the game or played the game at an incredibly high level. I don't think it's far fetched at all that another player will come along who will put himself at the level of those guys. It doesn't take pure numbers to do it, it takes separating yourself from the rest of the NHL. When people say the next Gretzky, I don't think they mean a Gretzky clone. They mean a guy who is far and away the top player, someone everyone else knows is a step ahead of everybody.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Anyone tired of reading the same post over and over about who's gonna be the next one? what ever happened to Spezza being the next one

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
craig1 said:
Crosby has more than proven himself at every level .He's the first 16 year
old to ever lead the Canadian Hockey League in scoring .He lead last years
worse team in the Q to a divisional title and a bye in the playoffs. Not to
mention he missed almost a month of play and his team only won 1 game in
11 while he was gone.I don't think there's much more he can do to prove
himself.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Neither has recorded a single point at the NHL level, so neither is proven at any level.

But the point can be argued that Ovechkin has done better at his level. Crosby is lighting up people 18 and 19 years old while Ovechkin is scoring at a nice pace on the third/fourth line of a men's league.

Two different situations and we won't know how it ends up for another 10 years so I'm not going to try to take sides.

Whoever gets Ovechkin and whoever gets Crosby will be very happy, both teams.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
This "Next One" stuff is so tiresome it's not even funny. And it's going to start all over again next year once some of the shine wears off Crosby (just like this year with Ovechkin) and all of the younger-is-better crowd start riding Alexander Vasyunov's jock for the next 2 years.

lather-rinse-repeat

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Epsilon said:
This "Next One" stuff is so tiresome it's not even funny. And it's going to start all over again next year once some of the shine wears off Crosby (just like this year with Ovechkin) and all of the younger-is-better crowd start riding Alexander Vasyunov's jock for the next 2 years.

lather-rinse-repeat
How old is Vasyunov?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'm not willing to say no one will be better than Gretzky, or even break his records.

Never is too strong of a word.

It is probable that they will stand for a long time, but who knows what will happen to hockey down the road. Prior to Gretzky, no one really thought he'd break the records he did.

I'm just glad I got to see him play a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad