Speculation: The Next GM

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Black and white fallacy. The only two options aren't the to do nothing or to spend on older players.

I agree on principle BUT they're usually the only two options owners who know little about hockey know.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Except there is no evidence that they actually are involved in daily hockey operations. All that story says is that they ran out of patience with our constant failure, went to Shero and asked him what he was going to do to fix it, and he responded with some kind of "trust the process" type stuff, and they punted him for continuing with a failing process.

Why are you assuming they are now sitting there running the hockey department through Fitz or something? Is there any evidence to support that this is true?
You don’t give a guy a 4 year extension and come out and publicly support the process, just to turn around 6 months later and fire the guy for lack of aggressiveness. That’s a panic move, they want to be competitive it’s known and ray’s way was taking to long so they canned him. They want this process to speed up

same process in philly, fire the guy who is rebuilding, replace him with a guy whose signing kevin hayes to 7x7 and trading 2nd and third rounders for Braun

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Shero had 27 years experience as a GM and assistant GM.

When Lou took over in NJ in 1987 he had zero NHL experience... literally none, not as a player, not as a coach absolutely nothing from an NHL perspective.

Experience is overrated...being good at what you do is much more important. Experience only hones natural ability but experience doesn't make crap good over time.

Over time I agree. But for the Devil's next season they can't have a GM just learning with little experience. Lou Lam's had plenty of time college coaching and running the program. Shero, we saw what bad experience delivered, the worse. What I am saying is I don't want Marty as GM he hasn't even coached.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
it’s as simple as ray was fired for being to passive. Which didn’t sit to well with ownership, now as a new hire you just saw your predecessor get fired for passiveness. What on earth is that new GM going to do he’s going to be the opposite he’s going to be agressive. What’s the quality traits of a agressive GM? Trades and signings when we are in no position to be doing such things.

Reactions: Taylors lost step

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think it was as simple as he was too passive. To me it feels like an internal struggle between Shero's "old school" approach and the "new school" approach ownership wants that finally came to a head when the season went to shit. Holding on to Hynes so long certainly didn't help, but I don't think firing him 6 games into the season instead of 26 games would have saved his job. I'd also like to know which goalie we were supposed to trade for that would have saved the season when the entire team was playing like shit. I think Hynes + goaltending is more of a convenient excuse for the owners to get rid of Shero so they can have a "new school" guy that will do things the way they want to. And as owners, that's well within their rights. Hopefully it actually works and we don't hear 5 years of "trust the process" with another GM only to have them pull the plug on him when it fails.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Holding on to Hynes so long certainly didn't help, but I don't think firing him 6 games into the season instead of 26 games would have saved his job.

Not considering Ray had no intention of clearning out the whole staff or changing the system, as given with his Nas promotion. We'll never know if bringing in someone different with no particular attachment to Hynes like a Horachek or Noel would have made a difference.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I can’t watch this team play and look at what we are icing on the blue line on top of not having a backup and see how another coach gets vastly better results.

We finish 8 points out instead of 18 at best. Big whoop.

Hynes had to go but this team was going no where.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I don't think it was as simple as he was too passive. To me it feels like an internal struggle between Shero's "old school" approach and the "new school" approach ownership wants that finally came to a head when the season went to ****. Holding on to Hynes so long certainly didn't help, but I don't think firing him 6 games into the season instead of 26 games would have saved his job. I'd also like to know which goalie we were supposed to trade for that would have saved the season when the entire team was playing like ****. I think Hynes + goaltending is more of a convenient excuse for the owners to get rid of Shero so they can have a "new school" guy that will do things the way they want to. And as owners, that's well within their rights. Hopefully it actually works and we don't hear 5 years of "trust the process" with another GM only to have them pull the plug on him when it fails.
I agree. Also my interpretation of the Friedman piece was that Shero was not sure he wanted to sign an extension last year. This appeared to be brewing and the way the season went just made this the time it would be done.

I would also comment that part of Sheros job was to rebuild the organization off the ice since the last owner was broke and the Devils fell behind. That appears to have been accomplished from the outside. Looking forward maybe someone else will be better for the job. Time will tell.

Reactions: My3Sons

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I never said that they for sure weren't meddling, I said that there was no evidence to suggest that they were. I generally try not to just assume things are true without anything to support it, especially something with such a drastic impact like our owner who knows nothing about hockey meddling in day-today hockey decisions.
I agree. If anything it appears the owners were not meddling. All the things posters think they wanted to do did not happen and there are reports the owners wanted to retain Hall. Hall is now in Arizona.

I also firmly believe if the "numbers guys" have a say the Devils will not be signing overpaid FA's. UFA's are typically overpaid relative to their production and they are at the age they will decline.

Lets see what happens before we start assuming the worst.

Reactions: My3Sons and Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I agree. If anything it appears the owners were not meddling. All the things posters think they wanted to do did not happen and there are reports the owners wanted to retain Hall. Hall is now in Arizona.

I also firmly believe if the "numbers guys" have a say the Devils will not be signing overpaid FA's. UFA's are typically overpaid relative to their production and they are at the age they will decline.

Lets see what happens before we start assuming the worst.
Yea, people really can't have it both ways on that one. If the owners are meddling with their personally hired analytics people, it makes no sense that they are pushing for overpaid veterans to be brought in because no analytics person is going to say that's a good idea. There is tons of data that shows that the best 8 years (the max contract) to lock up an NHL player is 20-28, and that signing a 28 year old from 28-36 and expecting they produce at peak levels is a horrible idea.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I can’t watch this team play and look at what we are icing on the blue line on top of not having a backup and see how another coach gets vastly better results.

We finish 8 points out instead of 18 at best. Big whoop.

Hynes had to go but this team was going no where.

WOW, you should go back and re read some of your old posts. What a change of mind. I am glad to see you finally come around.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Shero had ups and downs but was left with a pretty bare cupboard.,..Who should replace him?......Coaching ideas or suggestions.....

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Leafs fan here.

I'm very impressed with the Devil's two trades this weekend.

Was that Tom Fitzgerald's work? If so, he did well.

It would seem so, even if the owners wanted a more ‘collaborative’ approach for an interim GM Fitz still probably has to run the negotiation. Clearly he learned something from Ray.

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Leafs fan here.

I'm very impressed with the Devil's two trades this weekend.

Was that Tom Fitzgerald's work? If so, he did well.
Yes it was. I was pleasantly surprised they allowed him to make the Coleman trade since he is currently Interim GM. Ownership has said he definitely is being considered for the job. Even if he does not get the Devils job I think what he has done will help him get a full time GM gig somewhere if it is not here.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It almost seems like at this point the only interim about his job is to make sure he stays collaborative and goes along with the owners plan. You’re not letting a guy make serious moves unless you intend to let him keep his job. Or you’re the New York Jets.

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
did fitzgerald make any comments on palms like he did vats? it will be really interesting to see how that plays out. i didn’t want palms traded, but now that we’re in full rebuild mode it doesn’t make much sense to keep him

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
did fitzgerald make any comments on palms like he did vats? it will be really interesting to see how that plays out. i didn’t want palms traded, but now that we’re in full rebuild mode it doesn’t make much sense to keep him
This isn’t a full rebuild mode because we already have building blocks. This is a continuation of a rebuild and we are now retooling around Nico Hughes and Mac.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad