Speculation: The Next GM

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Figured it would be best to start a thread discussing possible replacements for the GM position.

I'll start it off with two potential people they may target. Eric Tulsky out of Carolina or Mike Gillis, the former Canucks GM.

Long shot...the owners try and beg Lou to come back, though I think he is still under contract with the Isles.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If it's not Fitz (and I doubt it will be if his vision doesn't align with the owners) then I have no ****ing clue who it would be. What big-name GM's are available who would be more in line with win-now, Doug Wilson?

Reactions: glenwo2 and tr83

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
McPhee maybe? He did a great job with Vegas and seems to have learned from that Forsberg disaster.

As long as it isnt Chiarelli or Pierre I'm good

Reactions: MichaelJ

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
I don’t think the devils are in a win now mode. I don’t think they’re super far off either however. It’s definitely the beginning of a transitional period - do you sell vatanen and palmieri etc and get more prospects and stuff or do you keep adding to the team and wait for nico and Hughes to really hit their stride in a year or two? Gonna be interesting to watch.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Fitz seems to be a good choice to me. Maybe his little stint on the bench provided the owners with some insight. Maybe he feels the team should be better than what they were with Hynes and the coach was the first chip to fall. His view of the team may align with the owners more than Sheros.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Fitz seems to be a good choice to me. Maybe his little stint on the bench provided the owners with some insight. Maybe he feels the team should be better than what they were with Hynes and the coach was the first chip to fall. His view of the team may align with the owners more than Sheros.

I would be worried he could become an ownership yes man.

Ownership has not made it clear what the vision of this team is so I have little trust in them being leading voices.

I never want ownership poking their heads in decisions too much in any sport.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I would be worried he could become an ownership yes man.

Ownership has not made it clear what the vision of this team is so I have little trust in them being leading voices.

I never want ownership poking their heads in decisions too much in any sport.
I dont think thats necessarily true (ownership not having a vision)

Ownership has been pretty open about their original desire to build through the draft up until before this year, where they (mainly Harris) discussed his desire to take that step forward and be competitive this year

We arent and so I believe thats why this happened

Reactions: NJDevs26

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Ownership has to be involved, but not too involved. Basically involved enough to set the direction of the team from a big picture standpoint, hire the right people to execute the vision and then step back. If things don’t work then to step in and make the necessary changes.

You don’t want ownership that is involved in individual trades/moves and gets involved personnel decisions based on personal feelings (I.e Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder). But you don’t want ownership who is absentee and let’s things fester long after change is needed.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ownership has to be involved, but not too involved. Basically involved enough to set the direction of the team from a big picture standpoint, hire the right people to execute the vision and then step back. If things don’t work then to step in and make the necessary changes.

You don’t want ownership that is involved in individual trades/moves and gets involved personnel decisions based on personal feelings (I.e Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder). But you don’t want ownership who is absentee and let’s things fester long after change is needed.

Yeah people are acting like this is the Haslams firing everyone after a year or two. That's not what's happening here yet. Lou's last three years here and the drafting before it were enough to suggest a change was needed there. Our lack of progress under Shero and him likely telling the owners they needed another rebuild (just look at their pushback saying the results weren't there in the presser) suggest a change was needed here too.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
I have a very hard time buying Fitz as a replacement when he’s been a big part of the front office decision making and implementation so to speak of things the last four years.

He would need to really put a good sell forward on what he would do differently, what’s been learned from last few years. He’s one of Shero’s lieutenants so it’s not like he was installed to undercut Shero or be there as fallback and whispering to owners.

I get other teams have interest in him as an executive but this might be a case where an outside brain and fresh landscaping vision is needed.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I have a very hard time buying Fitz as a replacement when he’s been a big part of the front office decision making and implementation so to speak of things the last four years.

He would need to really put a good sell forward on what he would do differently, what’s been learned from last few years. He’s one of Shero’s lieutenants so it’s not like he was installed to undercut Shero or be there as fallback and whispering to owners.

I get other teams have interest in him as an executive but this might be a case where an outside brain and fresh landscaping vision is needed.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Lou

Anyone triggered yet?

But seriously he should come back for 1 game to retire as a devils gm.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Willing to give Fitz the interim here to see what his vision is and how he rides things out.

Owners know he's in demand elsewhere so they gotta be handing him the reigns fully for remainder of the season to see what he can do.

Far as outside candidates go, anyone's guess.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->