The "next generation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Mobey said:
Like the 96 world cup, or 02 olympics?

These tournaments have nothing to do with the "next generation" of players - which is what this thread is about.

The fact is, at the junior (future) level in the past 5-7 years, year in and year out Russia has been far better than the US

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leafaholix said:
I don't keep track of where the U.S. and Russia finish in tournaments.

It would be interesting to see where each team has finished in tournaments both countries have participated in over the last 5 years.

Which is it? You say Russia has finished ahead of the U.S. "constantly", yet here you admit you don't keep track of where the two countries finish in tournaments.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Zine said:
These tournaments have nothing to do with the "next generation" of players - which is what this thread is about.

The fact is, at the junior (future) level in the past 5-7 years, year in and year out Russia has been far better than the US

Over the past ten years the Russian program at the junior level has been superior, as a matter-of-fact it's been one of the best. However, in the past few years the U.S. has won it's fair share, defeating Russian teams along the way, and looks to get only better. As a matter-of-fact, the U.S. was the only country to medal at all four major IIHF championships this year.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Zine said:

Those tournaments have to do with his argument that Russia has "constantly" outplaced the US in the past without superior goaltending.

Russia has had more junior level success, but that doesn't translate into "next generation" success. If it did, the US wouldn't be on any tournament podiums because until in the inception of the NTDP, the US had no junior level success.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Spezza
Fleury
Coburn
Bergeron
Heatley
Thornton
Lecavalier
Richards
Luongo
Nash
Crosby
Brule
Stall
Horton
Ward
Deslaurias
Phaneuf
and Im not even thinking about guys like Roy, Carter, Getzlaf etc.

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
i would rank Russia ahead of the USA, since 1999 Russia has won 3 world jr. championships and the USA has won one. i think you need to put a huge importance in these tounrys in tlaking about the next generation...if i were to rank the countries of players under 25 i would do this.
1) Canada (superstar players at every position)
2) Russia (lacking in goaltending)
3) USA (besides praise, o'sullivan and schremp forwards are a little weak)
4)Finland (kari, joni, and tuomu are sick)
5) Czech Rep(dont really have a dmen horse, 3-4-5 are very close)
6) Slovkia (players come out of nowhere)
7)Sweden (steen, neilson, not much else.....)
8) Swiss and Germany are getting closer and closer to top 7.

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Mobey said:
I'll gladly take the following:

Jordan Leopold
Mike Komisarek
Paul Martin
David Hale
J.M. Liles
Brooks Orpik
Ryan Whitney
Ryan Suter
Mark Stuart
Keith Ballard
Tim Gleason
Ron Hainsey
the americans might have more depth but Tjutin, Grebeshkov and Babchuk will probably be stars.....the americans have alot of solid d-men. suter and Komisarek might be stars but that is aobut it.....whitney will be close.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Kugel said:
the americans might have more depth but Tjutin, Grebeshkov and Babchuk will probably be stars.....the americans have alot of solid d-men. suter and Komisarek might be stars but that is aobut it.....whitney will be close.

You obviously have no idea what Ryan Suter's potential is.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Kugel said:

Tim Gleason outplayed Grebeshkov by a mile this year in LA.

Alfons

May 3, 2004
DanyHeatley#1Fan said:
Add Spezza, Fleury, Coburn, Bergeron and consider that Heatley, Thornton, Lecavalier, Richards and Luongo are still pretty young. I think that Canada is still head and shoulders above anyone..

Not head and shoulders above for example russia.

Kovalchuk
Ovechkin
Malkin
Zherdev
Frolov
Chistov
Semin
Grigorenko

Defense:

Grebeshkov
Tyutin
Babchuk
Semenov
Volchenkov
Koltsov
Anikeenko

Also Svitov, Radulov, Shishkanov have some potential. Datsyuk, Samsonov, A. Markov are still pretty young.

No great golie in sight. Nabokov and Khabibulin could play some more years though.

1994-1999 russia didn´t have many great first rounders, but they are producing talent at a high pace since 2000.

A lot depends if russia will continue to produce talents like Kovalchuk, Ovechkin Malikn etc, in the next drafts.

Since hockey is a team play after all, team chemistry, coaching etc. will have some impact of course.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The Albino said:
Agreed. Won't be long before the league is dominated by Finnish goalies along with French-Canadians. Anybody can fill me in on how Finland has become so good at developing goalies lately? You can trace Quebec's production to Patrick Roy, but what spurred this in Finland?

Great goalie coaches. From the juniors to senior level, every team has one. Ironically the (senior) national team hasn't had one for 2 years and look where it's gotten us. :cry: :banghead:

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Kugel said:
i said that suter would probably be a star.....what else is there? what do u mean? u think he is worse?

He means that Suter, right now, is one of the top young D prospects, right there with Phaneuf. Russia doesn't have a prospect of their caliber, as of the moment.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Ryan Miller
Al Montoya
Patrick O'Sullivan
Dustin Brown
Rob Schremp
Ryan Suter
A.J. Thelen
Mark Stuart
Zach Parise

Add on young NHLers and you have an impressive lineup for the USA. Blackburn, Esche, Gomez, Martin, Hale, Malone, Gionta, DiPietro, off the top of my head haven't all hit their prime yet.

I could see Olympic gold in a few years for the Americans.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Alfons said:
Not head and shoulders above for example russia.

No great golie in sight. Nabokov and Khabibulin could play some more years though.

How about Ilya Bryzgalov?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Postman said:
He means that Suter, right now, is one of the top young D prospects, right there with Phaneuf. Russia doesn't have a prospect of their caliber, as of the moment.

I'd say Anikeenko is (although still young). He, along with Brule and Lattendresse will be battling for the #2 spot in next years draft.

jacketracket*

Zine said:
Finland seems to be producing some great "next generation" goalies.
Noronen
Lehtonen
Toivonen
Tuukka Raask will be awsome
...don't forget Antero Niittymaki...

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Zine said:
I'd say Anikeenko is (although still young). He, along with Brule and Lattendresse will be battling for the #2 spot in next years draft.

That's why I added "at the moment". Anikeenko has the potential to reach that status, but as of now, he hasn't done anything to warrant such praise. But I agree, he's probably Russia's top defensive prospect in quite some time.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
The Blues' draft pick? Nothing special IMO.
He looked like a beast against the CHL teams back in November.

Stopping 50+ shots in a couple games.

YellHockey*

Kugel said:
the americans might have more depth but Tjutin, Grebeshkov and Babchuk will probably be stars...

Add Anton Volchenkov to that list as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad