GDT: The Next Critical Game|Jackets @ Oilers|3-21-19|9:00 p.m.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Absolutely. Anyone saying otherwise would be picking 12-13 games over the other 100 he’s played here. But he’s not the concern or question. Duchene is. And that answer is no.
But you get paid for playing not dogging it as Bread has been doing
Give me a player who plays every game
Bread isn’t

Reactions: logan etherton

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
His name been mentioned on these boards but coach Q is still available. Apparently he recently broke his silence and said he wants to get back into coaching. But lots of teams will be interested. If he sees Panarin, Bobrovsky ,Duchene Dzingel etc all leave he might not like the roster compared to other teams.

Coach Q is basically Torts without the media quotes. So not sure if that’s worth it.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
we recently beat both pit and bos... sometimes teams play down and tonight it was missong 2 of its leaders and on the road. It happens.

Yes 1 week left lets fire the best coach in team history right at the begining of the playoffs.
YES but he doesnt get to fire people if Jarmo had his head on he would fire a coach like everyone is yelli g for but the RIGHT one... Larson.

... I dont know how anyone can say this amd pretend to be a fan of this team. Seriously... do you honestly think that? Go look at us pre jarmo and after. You tell me 1 thing our team is worse off for because Jarmo. And PLEAAAAAAASEEEEEEE say spending lottery ticket picks or not trading the best player in our teams history for magic beans picks and prospects. Please... use examples of him improving the team as reasons he is bad... PLEASE!!!!
I hope to god he retires because this fan base doesnt deserve 1 ****ing good thing. The whiny self indulged etc group of peole that have been going crazy since the TDL has literally ruined hockey for me lately... you have the best everything we have had in the history of the team from GM, to coach, to overall team, to single player... and all the fans do is complain they gave future picks when we have a great prospect pool and that we didnt intentionally make our team worse for things that did nothing for now.

Its gross

He see's the problem but he isnt on the ice nor can he mentally rake over the bodies of the players to give a **** and play hard against a bottom 3 team...
I’m sorry Mikey, but quite frankly, it doesn’t matter if Torts is the best coach we’ve ever had. I’m willing to admit that, because he is. But when he took over, the bar he had to clear for that was so low that it shouldn’t matter. He very clearly doesn’t meet the next bar, which is coaching an actual contending team.

Hockey isn’t “whoever plays hardest wins” like Torts still seems to think based on his comments for the past month. He needs to be doing a lot more than he is to help this team be successful.

The players are playing nervously (not badly) because on the ice, they can see that every team knows exactly how we play and exactly how to play against it. That’s why we haven’t been scoring. Not a lack of confidence but because teams know how to keep us from getting legitimate scoring chances, and it’s been almost 2 months of it now and Torts has done f*** all to adjust to the fact that the book on playing his version of the CBJ is widely circulated.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I think it's unfair to judge individual players when your coach has zero offensive strategy what seems like the whole second half of the season. The players work, they have on other teams or at other points of the season. The coach has lost his ability to get the team to play well.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

never saw a coach disagree more with his players voices than Torts, honestly.

Yeah if that quote doesn't tell you Jarmo mis-handled the deadline then I don't know what to tell you. Paralyzed by pressure? Aside from Duchene, Dzingle, Nash, and McQuaid this is the exact same roster who made the playoffs last year. Duchene has been in a game 7 before (as a top overall seed), Dzingle has been in a conference finals game 7, Nash has been in multiple playoffs with Boston, and McQuaid won a cup. Robinson, Kinkaid, and Kukan don't play enough to count.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I’m sorry Mikey, but quite frankly, it doesn’t matter if Torts is the best coach we’ve ever had. I’m willing to admit that, because he is. But when he took over, the bar he had to clear for that was so low that it shouldn’t matter. He very clearly doesn’t meet the next bar, which is coaching an actual contending team.

Hockey isn’t “whoever plays hardest wins” like Torts still seems to think based on his comments for the past month. He needs to be doing a lot more than he is to help this team be successful.

The players are playing nervously (not badly) because on the ice, they can see that every team knows exactly how we play and exactly how to play against it. That’s why we haven’t been scoring. Not a lack of confidence but because teams know how to keep us from getting legitimate scoring chances, and it’s been almost 2 months of it now and Torts has done **** all to adjust to the fact that the book on playing his version of the CBJ is widely circulated.
Couldn't agree more. Every player is afraid of trying something risky that actually shows offensive creativity for fear of a "turnover" that'll get you benched. Yep, that is exactly how you put points up

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I'm not saying I disagree with the "Torts must go" crowd, but be careful what you wish for. As of today, there are literally no proven good coaches available aside from Quenneville, who 1. Shares a lot in common with Torts. and 2. May not even want to come here.

Reactions: GoJackets1

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
ok go on tell us everything detailed lost because you obviously know all the issues that need to be fixed. In detail. And its a huge problem so there should be no less then 10 very detailed fixes in there because you are clearly at a next level hockey mind that knows what qe need.
I have listed plenty of specific things in other threads that I don’t feel the need to repeat.

I don’t understand how you can deny that if Trotz can make a contender out of a dogshit roster with 2 career backup goalies, then any competent coach should at least be able to comfortably make the playoffs with the CBJ roster... I mean really, what does that say about Torts ability to coach successfully in 2019?

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'm not saying I disagree with the "Torts must go" crowd, but be careful what you wish for. As of today, there are literally no proven good coaches available aside from Quenneville, who 1. Shares a lot in common with Torts. and 2. May not even want to come here.
Yeah, I’m definitely not in the “hire Q NOW” crowd...

If we do get rid of Torts, which I hope we do, I want Shaw to take over the rest of the year as he seems like someone who is very solid in the structural aspect of the game. Next year, I dunno. Sheldon Keefe is probably at the top of my list.

Edit: Sorry if I’m rambling. I’m legitimately very stressed out by how the team is playing. I stopped watching the week they played better and kept my Torts comments mostly to myself, but I started watching again and there’s been no improvement. Me watching must be the problem. Again, sorry if I’m being too much. It’s hard to contain my frustration.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yeah, I’m not in the “hire Q NOW” crowd...

If we do get rid of Torts, which I hope we do, I want Shaw to take over the rest of the year as he seems like someone who is very solid in the structural aspect of the game. Next year, I dunno. Sheldon Keefe is probably at the top of my list.

No chance Torts gets fired in season this season.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
..Sheldon Keefe is probably at the top of my list.
Keefe is a popcorn choice (no offence) he had a stacked roster last season and he won with it.
Benoit Groulx is my choice - bottom 5 prospect pool on any ratings and look what he's done.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I don''t give a darn about the draft pick who may contribute in about four years. I want to keep Duchene and try to compete next year and in 2021, not 2024.

Ottawa said the same thing, and now they're about to watch Colorado pick 1-4 overall with their pick and potentially miss out on one of the two really good, really young, cost controlled potentially star rookies. I would rather not repeat that mistake, and have 30 year old Duchene locked up long term as we launch into a mini rebuild.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I think it's unfair to judge individual players when your coach has zero offensive strategy what seems like the whole second half of the season. The players work, they have on other teams or at other points of the season. The coach has lost his ability to get the team to play well.
Hey look, Wild Bill scored his 22 tonight , sh% be damned. We got two 20+ goals scorers and they turned into ....

Coincidence, i'm sure.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Keefe is a popcorn choice (no offence) he had a stacked roster last season and he won with it.
Benoit Groulx is my choice - bottom 5 prospect pool on any ratings and look what he's done.
To be fair, It’s less to do with who won and more to do with the systems he runs... I was also intrigued by Benoit Groulx when I was coach hunting, but something initially put me off. I don’t remember what exactly it was now that I’m looking again...

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Ottawa said the same thing, and now they're about to watch Colorado pick 1-4 overall with their pick and potentially miss out on one of the two really good, really young, cost controlled potentially star rookies. I would rather not repeat that mistake, and have 30 year old Duchene locked up long term as we launch into a mini rebuild.
Is this years 1st conditional (lottery protected)? I forget.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->