The Newest, Most Official Sidney Crosby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborik10

Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
The hype that surrounds this kid is sickening. It is gross....he is going to totally revise the word 'hype'. Just stop already....he's playing in the highest-scoring league in the world. He has never done ANYTHING internationally. Not one thing. I don't care if he has all the talent in the world. What's he done outside of the QMJHL, where his team demands assured protection from the refs? Who else gets to do that, eh? Bottomline: Until he does something outside of his little league, he's just not worth the hype. But, oops, I forgot. I'm American, and that means I don't know anything about hockey.

stockwizard*

Gaborik10 said:
The hype that surrounds this kid is sickening. It is gross....he is going to totally revise the word 'hype'. Just stop already....he's playing in the highest-scoring league in the world. He has never done ANYTHING internationally. Not one thing. I don't care if he has all the talent in the world. What's he done outside of the QMJHL, where his team demands assured protection from the refs? Who else gets to do that, eh? Bottomline: Until he does something outside of his little league, he's just not worth the hype. But, oops, I forgot. I'm American, and that means I don't know anything about hockey.
All this talk about doing something outside of Canada is sickening. In case you haven't noticed the best competition for him is right here and he is dominating. What do you want him to do. Go to the Dominican Republic and prove something over there.

stockwizard*

Gaborik10 said:
No. Why not just a tournament? And the best competition isn't over there.
So tell me where there is a better league for players 16-20 to prepare for the NHL than Major Junior Hockey in Canada. Is there higher competition in the U.S.?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Gaborik10 said:
. I'm American, and that means I don't know anything about hockey.

Not true at all, Americans are becoming more and more knowledgeable about hockey. Most who are have more respect for the Q. They are also becoming more and more competitive thanks in part to leagues like the Q where many top junior age players come from all top hockey countries.

Of course, I'm guessing you knew that.

Gaborik10

Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
I wasn't saying competition wasn't good. However, I did say that the Q is the highest scoring league. Getting 150 points is nothing there, and you know it. What I said is this: He has done nothing to warrant the hype he has gotten. He's 16 years old. How about we wait until he's older and actually does something. It's getting pathetic.

stockwizard*

Gaborik10 said:
I wasn't saying competition wasn't good. However, I did say that the Q is the highest scoring league. Getting 150 points is nothing there, and you know it. What I said is this: He has done nothing to warrant the hype he has gotten. He's 16 years old. How about we wait until he's older and actually does something. It's getting pathetic.
I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you. What Crosby did was lead the entire Canadian Major Junior Hockey league in scoring as a 16 year old. No one has ever done this. Not Gretzky or Lemieux. No one knows for sure if Crosby is really the next one, but in my opinion the hype is warranted.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Yes I agree, I never really looked at his point totals either, just that he let the Q in scoring. #1 in points ,whether it's 30 or 150. As for hype.. did it ever make a player better? No, Might that hype travel all the way to Mexico City? Maybe
It does bother me that Crosby is pencilled for 70 points his first NHL season while Ovechkin won't get 40, so on and so on, but who cares, let Crosby do what he wants and it'll all blow up like Daigle or create interest in the league like Mario. Think of it, the "new look NHL" in 2007, with Crosby, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Lethonen, right now a guy like him is the best thing that coul happen, the sport will grow in popularity.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'm worried about the future of the NHL and on thing that gives me assurance is the optimism surrounding Crosby being a some help to a settlement and a boon after the league comes back. Even having the hype for something postCBA is a good thing.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Gaborik10 said:

Hemsky did'nt got more than 100 points in the Q
Patrice Bergeron got 73 points in 70 games
Alexandre Picard should be a first rounder with 80 points in 69 games.

135 points in 59 games is amazing in the Q these days.

As the best prospect since Lindros, he deserve a lot of hype.

It's a PROSPECTS site can we talk about other things than the nhl sometimes??

Gaborik10

Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
Of course, but this kind of hype....it turns people away more than anything else. Nobody wants to listen to the media obsess over Crosby every night. It's pathetic. Take a step back from your Crosbyism and look at what you look like and sound like! It's funny! Leading the QMJHL does not mean that you are the 'Next One', a name which I am getting really sick of. There will never be another Gretzky. No one will ever come close to what he was like. The only way people can get someone to that kind of standing is to hype them, talk about them endlessly in the media every day. That's the only way, and I'll have nothing to do with it.

stockwizard*

Gaborik10 said:
Of course, but this kind of hype....it turns people away more than anything else. Nobody wants to listen to the media obsess over Crosby every night. It's pathetic. Take a step back from your Crosbyism and look at what you look like and sound like! It's funny! Leading the QMJHL does not mean that you are the 'Next One', a name which I am getting really sick of. There will never be another Gretzky. No one will ever come close to what he was like. The only way people can get someone to that kind of standing is to hype them, talk about them endlessly in the media every day. That's the only way, and I'll have nothing to do with it.
Please correct me if I am wrong Gaborik, but I am guessing 98% of the people in the U.S. have no idea who Crosby is. He did spend last season in the U.S. at Shattuck St. Marrys during which time he broke some scoring records.

I would say in the present state of the game there won't be someone to score 200 point seasons like Gretzky did, however everything is relative. If Gretzky scores 200 points and the next best player scores 140. It is the same as someone today scoring 130 points and the next best player scoring 95.
So to say there will never be another player of Gretzky's callibre is a little misleading. IMO

Gaborik10

Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
No, it's not misleading. You think Corsby deserves to be in the same breath as Gretzky? He doesn't even come close. And yeah, the fans in the U.S. that aren't ignorant about hockey know who Crosby is. Truth is, most people in this country are completely ignorant when it comes to hockey. How else can you explain the lowest tv ratings in history...but I'm guessing there has to be several million fans in the U.S. I'd say at least 80% know about Crosby, and Ovechkin.

stockwizard*

Gaborik10 said:
No, it's not misleading. You think Corsby deserves to be in the same breath as Gretzky? He doesn't even come close. And yeah, the fans in the U.S. that aren't ignorant about hockey know who Crosby is. Truth is, most people in this country are completely ignorant when it comes to hockey. How else can you explain the lowest tv ratings in history...but I'm guessing there has to be several million fans in the U.S. I'd say at least 80% know about Crosby, and Ovechkin.
Obviously if someone compares Gretzky and Crosby they are comparing their Junior Careers, and yes I do think that is a fair comparison.
With the excitement Crosby is bringing, if he meets expectations, he will have the opportunity to bring Hockey to a new level in the U.S.
I mean really. Who do you think people from the U.S. would rather rally behind. A Russian or a North American? With his natural charisma, and the fact that we share the same values, of course people in the U.S. like Crosby more than Ovechkin.
Hockey is super popular in some places in the U.S. and completely non existent in others.
Frankly I can't see why Americans put a silly sport like Basketball infront of Hockey. Americans seem to love violence which hockey certainly has a lot of. In Basketball you barely touch the guy and a foul is called. And they are such freaks. 7"4' What a joke. :lol

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Gaborik10 said:

You are ignorant to the facts.

The QMJHL only scored .2 more goals per game than the WHL this year.

.2 Goals per game!!!!!

150 pts in the Q isnt quite "nothing"

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Gaborik10 said:

You my friend have to learn his facts before he posts. You live in the past I see as the Q is not the high scoring league anymore, do some comparisons and see for your self. For a 16 year old to do what Crosby did is amazing no matter the fact, or what league. Everyone said the same about Brad Richards as well, "oh yeah a high scorer in this league, but couldn't make it in other leagues, and almost every dub fan said this along with alot of OHL fans as well, well now who is proving who wrong.

Thing about comparing Crosby and Gretzky is A) if you seen Crosby play you would know for yourself that with his IQ, passing, playmaking and vision on the ice he is the closest thing since Gretzky in these catagorys we have seen in awhile. B) it is different eras Gretzkys era was higher scoring by far...no trap hockey alot of open ice, guys were not as big and the game was more on skill then, now the goalies are bigger with the gear, players are bigger and bigger every year, and trap hockey is really making a good game go bad along with all this defensive stuff. So what Crosby is doing now IMO is amazing and in the same catagory as what Gretzky did back in junior. (I know I will take alot of heat for that) but the thing is the league and game has changed there for the way the game is played will be changed making scoring feats like Gretzkys right now for the super talented who might even have his level of skill not be able to even show that they had or have the same skill level in points but if you watch a game of his you would come back saying wow.

As for your total lack of knowledge of the QMJHL, maybe you should look at the leading scorers in the league and see what the stats are there.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Hasbro said:
I've got a nagging feeling with the 05 draft seedings still in the air, Bettman is going to pull a David Stern and rig the lottery in whatever form for the Rangers.

if the 04-05 season is scrapped the same 5 teams in 03-04 wil be put in the draft lottery meaning the Rangers are out.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
littleHossa said:
I have a question that I hope will get a lot of answers, I wanted to make a topic for it, but maybe some mods would of minded, here it is:

I've followed the Crosby show on HFBoards like everybody else, well before he was even drafted to junior, and we've all seen what he's capable of, the statistics that he's put and the awards he's won.. But I wonder what is it that makes him record 2 points per game at the QMJHL level, the incredible number of assists he has and also the goal a game.
What are Crosby's strenghts? I know that he's very strong on the puck, physical, tremendous intensity, is a good skater, has incredible talent.. But what are the individual skills that Crosby has? How good of a checker is he, how fast can he skate around the rink, how does it compare to other skaters. What speed is his slapshot at, how's his wrister, does he have a very accurate shot, unbelievable vision? Ex. is his shot better than Hull, does he skate as fast as Gaborik, what makes him get so high stats?

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
littleHossa had a legitimate post and once again some moron hi-jack's it.
To answer your question littleHossa, Sidney has alot of skill's at a very high level but the 2 thing's that stand out are his ability to see the ice and anticipate the
play and his skating ability with the puck.How fast is he compared to others
I don't know but he is as quick as any player i've ever seen.

kovalchuk17atl

Apr 22, 2004
Gaborik10 said:

Actually, there is another way. The NHL has to cut down on interference and MEAN IT, i.e give a 5-minute penalty for interference instead of 2 minutes. It's harsh but that's how you'll get rid of it. It also wouldn't hurt if they cut the goalie's pads down quite a bit. Then players would score their 125+ point seasons like they have the talent to get. They just can't use it in today's NHL. If that happened I wouldn't be surprised to see Crosby put up 120-180 points, although I doubt he would put up 200.

kovalchuk17atl

Apr 22, 2004
moosefan said:
Thing about comparing Crosby and Gretzky is A) if you seen Crosby play you would know for yourself that with his IQ, passing, playmaking and vision on the ice he is the closest thing since Gretzky in these catagorys we have seen in awhile. B) it is different eras Gretzkys era was higher scoring by far...no trap hockey alot of open ice, guys were not as big and the game was more on skill then, now the goalies are bigger with the gear, players are bigger and bigger every year, and trap hockey is really making a good game go bad along with all this defensive stuff. So what Crosby is doing now IMO is amazing and in the same catagory as what Gretzky did back in junior. (I know I will take alot of heat for that) but the thing is the league and game has changed there for the way the game is played will be changed making scoring feats like Gretzkys right now for the super talented who might even have his level of skill not be able to even show that they had or have the same skill level in points but if you watch a game of his you would come back saying wow.

I'm confused. The kid outscored Lemieux at 16, I think that shows he can have a skill level similar to Lemieux's. Now he won't put up 199 points in today's NHL but I can forsee 140 in his prime.

stockwizard*

kovalchuk17atl said:
I'm confused. The kid outscored Lemieux at 16, I think that shows he can have a skill level similar to Lemieux's. Now he won't put up 199 points in today's NHL but I can forsee 140 in his prime.
In defense of Lemieux, he did make a huge jump from 16 to 17 and again from 17 to 18. At Crosby's present skill set it would be almost impossible for him to make the same jump.
But yeah, Crosby's numbers are much better than Lemieux when Lemieux was 16.
If they cut down on the size of Goaltending equipment, I think your predictions are not far fetched as far as Crosby's point totals in the NHL.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The one light at the end of the tunnel for Penguins fans if there is no season next year. If the Penguins land Crosby I can say without a doubt I'll be the happiest ****ing guy on the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->