The New York Times to Disband Its Sports Department

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
WOW

The New York Times said on Monday that it would disband its sports department and rely on coverage of teams and games from its website The Athletic, both online and in print.

Joe Kahn, The Times’s executive editor, and Monica Drake, a deputy managing editor, announced the change to the newsroom as “an evolution in how we cover sports.”

“We plan to focus even more directly on distinctive, high-impact news and enterprise journalism about how sports intersect with money, power, culture, politics and society at large,” the editors wrote in an email to The Times’s newsroom on Monday morning. “At the same time, we will scale back the newsroom’s coverage of games, players, teams and leagues.”

The shuttering of the sports desk, which has more than 35 journalists and editors, is a major shift for The Times. The department’s coverage of games, athletes and team owners, and its Sports of the Times column in particular, were once a pillar of American sports journalism. The section covered the major moments and personalities of the last century of American sports, including Muhammad Ali, the birth of free agency, George Steinbrenner, the Williams sisters, Tiger Woods, steroids in baseball and the deadly effects of concussions in the National Football League.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The funny thing is, historically, the New York Times was never known for sports coverage despite the historical significance. If anything, sports was the last thing you bought the paper for... besides comic strips, I guess, as the focus of the paper was on political and national news coverage. When the Times did cover New York City sports, it often was buried deep in the paper that people just ignored it anyway that eventually sports coverage in the city got usurped by the New York Post and its in your face tabloid style where everything has to be a disaster, which gave people the idea that everything is magnified in the city.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The funny thing is, historically, the New York Times was never known for sports coverage despite the historical significance. If anything, sports was the last thing you bought the paper for... besides comic strips, I guess, as the focus of the paper was on political and national news coverage. When the Times did cover New York City sports, it often was buried deep in the paper that people just ignored it anyway that eventually sports coverage in the city got usurped by the New York Post and its in your face tabloid style where everything has to be a disaster, which gave people the idea that everything is magnified in the city.

Yea & its not like they've produced notable sports journalists like say Bob Ryan or Peter Gammons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad