The once-new "what's going on with Panarin" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
So, in reflecting back on yesterday’s interviews , both Bob and Panarin will both be gone . Panarin is basically saying he’s not sure , and you only get this opportunity 1 x, which means that pretty much , no matter what , he’s waiting till next summer , and will decide then . That means no sign and trade , and we are looking at some prospects, maybe a first , if he becomes a rental . I was always of the mindset that Panarin would be traded early , and they would let Bob play out his year here . But being that Panarin has sabatoged his trade value, leaking all this info out this summer , the jackets are pretty much stuck with letting the season play out , and evaluate at the trade deadline . With Bob, I think they will be listening to offers , and he’s moved sooner , rather than later . What Bob is looking for , and what the jackets are looking for is totally different . The jackets feel Korpisalo can be a #1, and that Merzlikins can be a franchise goalie . Bob no doubt , will be looking for 6-7 year deal, which in no way , the jackets will entertain .

I wouldn’t be shocked to see the cbj keep Panarin for the whole season , and be fine with him walking after the season , in hopes of the team having a big breakthrough this year , having a crapload of cap room available with Bob and Panarins money falling off , and going big game fishing next summer . Going to be a fun year
What big game? With Seguin signing an extension, that leaves the big game forwards to be... Panarin. And Karlsson, but I don't see us being a player in Karlsson, if he hits UFA.

Eberle, Skinner, Simmonds, and Duchene aren't gamebreakers. Zuccarello, Staal, and Pavelski are getting long in the tooth, though I'm not going to be opposed to a shorter deal on any of them, so long as they don't fall off a cliff this year.

It is very rare that superstar big game players hit UFA. It's always the second tier guys... and Tavares and Panarin, I guess.

Reactions: CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Bob no doubt , will be looking for 6-7 year deal, which in no way , the jackets will entertain .

I'd be completely OK with a 6 year deal... its years 7 & 8 that are extremely scary, with 6 probably where the real trouble is starting.

brianhatesu

Aug 8, 2003
Dayton
Visit site
What big game? With Seguin signing an extension, that leaves the big game forwards to be... Panarin. And Karlsson, but I don't see us being a player in Karlsson, if he hits UFA.

Eberle, Skinner, Simmonds, and Duchene aren't gamebreakers. Zuccarello, Staal, and Pavelski are getting long in the tooth, though I'm not going to be opposed to a shorter deal on any of them, so long as they don't fall off a cliff this year.

It is very rare that superstar big game players hit UFA. It's always the second tier guys... and Tavares and Panarin, I guess.

...and when they do hit the open market, we're not even on there radar of teams to sign with.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
...and when they do hit the open market, we're not even on there radar of teams to sign with.

And you consider yourself a CBJ fan.

The 16/17 season happened. Without Panarin and Dubois.

You are under the assumption that the front office would do nothing with the almost 20 million cap dollars opened up and that "top" free agents wouldn't come here because Bobrovsky and a "bright lights" Russian left. SOME GUYS would be LOOKING for that exact situation, to come in and REPLACE Panarin.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Everyone of those guys would be a welcomed addition and make the team BETTER. Just not for 6+ years for "huge" money, which is ironically the same type of contract people don't want to give Bob.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Everyone of those guys would be a welcomed addition and make the team BETTER. Just not for 6+ years for "huge" money, which is ironically the same type of contract people don't want to give Bob.

Ottawa goes from a playoff team to utter on ice garbage after adding Duchene to the locker room. He leaves Colorado and they go on a run to a playoff team from a bottom feeder. Hmm. Weird. I advocated for him a few years back, but I hope Jarmo treads very carefully, if at all.

And Simmonds absolutely does not make us a better team in any way, shape, or form. Whatever contract he signs, if it's longer than 2-3 years, will be an anchor for that team.

Skinner is insanely streaky, has a concussion history, and is allegedly a locker room cancer. I agree with Zucc, Eberle, and Pavelski, though all three play a position we're stupidly deep at (RW).

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Ottawa goes from a playoff team to utter on ice garbage after adding Duchene to the locker room. He leaves Colorado and they go on a run to a playoff team from a bottom feeder. Hmm. Weird. I advocated for him a few years back, but I hope Jarmo treads very carefully, if at all.

And Simmonds absolutely does not make us a better team in any way, shape, or form. Whatever contract he signs, if it's longer than 2-3 years, will be an anchor for that team.

Skinner is insanely streaky, has a concussion history, and is allegedly a locker room cancer. I agree with Zucc, Eberle, and Pavelski, though all three play a position we're stupidly deep at (RW).

Yeaa, I'm going to guess this "few years back" was just this past year and that you were mad at Jarmo for not closing the deal on Duchene. Again, just a guess. But, you clearly don't understand the parity in the league and the fact that there is not much difference between a "playoff team" and a "bottom feeder". And there also isn't much difference between a "playoff team" and a "contender".

You can find "issues" with everybody. Skinner would be a PERFECT add, with or without Panarin. And he's gonna get paid. He's 26-27. 6.5-7 million probably for 6 years. I'd do it as a CBJ fan.

Simmonds would obviously be less of a NEED with guys like Foligno, Jenner, Anderson around, BUT lets NOT downplay how good of a player Simmonds is and how big of an IMPACT he can make. I don't see it happening but something like 3 years at 5 million I'd be cool with. Without going into "details", like these other 2, all of Zuccarelo, Eberle, and Pavelski would make the team better and SHOULD be looked at to sign for the right price.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
You are under the assumption that the front office would do nothing with the almost 20 million cap dollars opened up and that "top" free agents wouldn't come here because Bobrovsky and a "bright lights" Russian left. SOME GUYS would be LOOKING for that exact situation, to come in and REPLACE Panarin.

Here's the thing. We've never done that well at signing top tier free agents. Of all the big names we've had (and it's not many over all these seasons) it's either via draft (Nash as example) or trade (Bob and Panarin).
Now I think what you may be saying is we are a different team now and maybe a better player would see it as an opportunity to excel and win. And you could be right, especially if PLD steps up and shows that he can be a 1C (much more appealing for a guy to want to be here on his wing I would think).
But in the past if you give us a bunch of cash we sign LaChance and Richardson and say it's fixed our defense :)
We do a decent job of finding bargains in free agency (the guys looking for a chance to get some ice time, or guys that can't get an offer else where) but I don't like our odds of attracting an UFA to replace Panarin. Certainly not a given that a top line forward will want to be here.

Reactions: CPTN71

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
And you consider yourself a CBJ fan.

The 16/17 season happened. Without Panarin and Dubois.

Our history says otherwise. Our biggest forward free agent signing in franchise history was Nathan Horton, who was nothing more than a glorified 2nd liner with a hot playoff hand (when we got him at least).

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Ok i listened that interview finally (Q&A part) and ... well judge by yourself.

Portz: "The fans have been great to you, you've been great to the fans, is it something about the size of the city, that maybe has you thinking you want to look elsewhere?"
Vlad: "There’s really no issue with Columbus, he loves it here, everything about Columbus is great, he's lived in various cities, so Columbus is definitely one of the cities he's enjoyed. but it’s a huge decision and you need to take the time to make that decision. and again, he's focusing on hockey right now."

Actual answer is.

Panarin: No, not that. (haha good question) I like everything, actually, it's just i want to think a little longer about this. Last 5 years i lived in big cities and now i think i need to think where i want to live, where i want to win, simply i uderstand that i have a good chance to win it here in Columbus, but.... (sigh).... i can't tell you anything significant right now.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Ok i listened that interview finally (Q&A part) and ... well judge by yourself.

Portz: "The fans have been great to you, you've been great to the fans, is it something about the size of the city, that maybe has you thinking you want to look elsewhere?"
Vlad: "There’s really no issue with Columbus, he loves it here, everything about Columbus is great, he's lived in various cities, so Columbus is definitely one of the cities he's enjoyed. but it’s a huge decision and you need to take the time to make that decision. and again, he's focusing on hockey right now."

Actual answer is.

Panarin: No, not that. (haha good question) I like everything, actually, it's just i want to think a little longer about this. Last 5 years i lived in big cities and now i think i need to think where i want to live, where i want to win, simply i uderstand that i have a good chance to win it here in Columbus, but.... (sigh).... i can't tell you anything significant right now.

Actual actual answer:

Panarin: "I am 26 years old and have smoking hot Latvian girlfriend who I enjoy going out with when I am not playing hockey. I can make major money anywhere I go. We can have much more fun during the free time with that money in NY, or LA, or Chicago or Florida. So I don't want to play in Columbus."

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Per Alison Lukan, Panarin not practicing again today..

Must be one heck of a strained neck... just not strained enough to race around on a scooter downtown at night ;)

Seriously though, I pray and hope there is more to this (Jarmo working offers, etc)..

EDIT::: appears she was wrong and all is well. He'll score 50 for us this year :laugh:

Last edited:

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Per Alison Lukan, Panarin not practicing again today..

Must be one heck of a strained neck... just not strained enough to race around on a scooter downtown at night ;)

Seriously though, I pray and hope there is more to this (Jarmo working offers, etc)..

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Actual actual answer:

Panarin: "I am 26 years old and have smoking hot Latvian girlfriend who I enjoy going out with when I am not playing hockey. I can make major money anywhere I go. We can have much more fun during the free time with that money in NY, or LA, or Chicago or Florida. So I don't want to play in Columbus."

Look, someone's going to be right in all of this making stuff up about things we don't know, but right now it's just making stuff up about things we don't know.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Look, someone's going to be right in all of this making stuff up about things we don't know, but right now it's just making stuff up about things we don't know.
rumsfeld-unknown-unknowns.jpg

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
That's exactly what you're going to say if you're trying to keep his value as high as possible.

"We'd like to keep him, so convince us to trade him"

Of course there will be teams who will just wait until next off-season, but I bet there's a few who might overpay on his current perceived value.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That's exactly what you're going to say if you're trying to keep his value as high as possible.

"We'd like to keep him, so convince us to trade him"

Of course there will be teams who will just wait until next off-season, but I bet there's a few who might overpay on his current perceived value.

It's also what you say when you don't want to trade him. Given how much of a hit the Jackets would take in any deal, it's worth being 100% sure that he can't be persuaded. Exhaust that possibility first, then get into deal-making.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
It's also what you say when you don't want to trade him. Given how much of a hit the Jackets would take in any deal, it's worth being 100% sure that he can't be persuaded. Exhaust that possibility first, then get into deal-making.

Lets figure that out pronto please :)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Oh I believe Jarmo when he says he doesn't want to trade him, but if someone was to offer up something stupid I don't think he'd turn it down.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It would really be better if he just demanded a trade at this point.
I think he essentially has without actually saying the words.

As far as I'm concerned, if he doesn't want to be here I don't want him here. He can say all he wants that its not about the city or the fans or the organization but if he doesn't want to be here, that is exactly what it is. He thinks this place isn't good enough for him and as a life long resident of this city minus a few years for college, I want people who want to be here and not use Columbus for nothing more to collect a paycheck.

Reactions: CPTN71 and thebus88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad