OT: The New Sidebar (FAQ and Feedback)

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
You've probably seen it by now. That thing on the right side of the screen that lists HF articles and HF's Twitter and other thread links. Yes, it's new this morning. Here's our attempt to answer some questions about it:

Why?
This was initiated by Crave (the folks who own Hockey's Future and HFBoards) in an attempt to help drive more traffic to Hockey's Future. We (the mods) were just as surprised to see it this morning as all of you are.

Can I turn it off?
No, there is no way to disable, shrink, or otherwise alter the side bar. This is the way it will be - for now, at least.

Where/when does it show up?
As far as we can figure out, it only shows up (or primarily shows up) when you're on a specific board, but not when you are viewing a thread. It will not show up when you write a post. It will show up if you try to make a new thread though (it's showing up for me right now as I write this). It also doesn't show up on the main page (www.hfboards.com or hfboards.mandatory.com)

What does it show?
When fully active, it should show:
A list of the most recent articles created on Hockey's Future
The most recent tweets from HF's official Twitter account (mostly links to newly created articles which, yes, seems redundant)
A list of the most recently active discussion threads on HFBoards

Will there be updates?
Most likely, yes. Site ownership will take your feedback into consideration for future updates.

Where does the Latest Discussion thread list link to?
We're not exactly sure what does and doesn't get linked to. It should link to all the major Hockey discussion boards (NHL talk, Prospects, Business of Hockey, Fantasy Hockey, etc.). It also seems to link to many team board threads, perhaps including this one. It could potentially also link to the Page 2 threads (i.e. The Lounge).

Because of the team board links, BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN VISITING LINKS FROM THE SIDEBAR. You might see a thread topic that riles you up, but note where the thread is located when you go there. If it's on another team's board and you respond harshly to the posts you find, you could end up receiving a warning/infraction for trolling even if you had no idea you were on another team board.

If you have any other questions, post them here. Comments too, especially constructive ones.

Thanks!

Last edited:

HockeyGuy73

Oct 29, 2010
Tad south of STL.
I dont like it. Makes the page look too "busy" and distracting.

As you mentioned above, it could lead to problems going to other boards. I know there is a chance I could misbehave on some nights, so I just avoid those forums and stay tucked in here nicely. When when content is being showed at me, that is almost like taunting.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Anybody else not a fan of the new layout on this site? As in the giant crap on the right side of the screen. It's not that big of a deal but it does annoy me.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If they made it just a tad narrower, then I'd be able to tolerate it better.

Last edited by a moderator:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I don't hate the idea, but the execution is pretty awful honestly. There's so much wasted space at the top of the page that could be used for that stuff. I'll probably just get used to it.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Sidebar is just too confusing and interferes with the eye. If the sidebar cant be removed, it must be repaired, at least clear it mostly. IMHO it take too much space. Headlines are pretty good, but the bottom text distracting me.

What about bring twitter section only for 'Blues' fans; includes only our insiders tweets (JR + Strickland) and Blues (+Wolves) players tweets + most important tweeters in NHL point of view. So every own HFboards team section is own twitter section.

This was rush post so try to understand it :)

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
Maybe Hockey's Future should stop sucking ass if they want more traffic. Hire some writers who actually have a clue what they are talking about.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
It really is a backwards way to generate more traffic; in fact, it does not make any sense. The prospect ranking system is terrible on HF and the writing is worse. The only value for me is the forums.

I don't have much of a problem with the new sidebar menu. There were usually ads there anyway, although the sidebar takes up a little more lateral space. Mobile version is great on the phone and iPad, which is how I usually access HFBoards. And when I don't go to the mobile version on the iPad it is easy to zoom in to what I want to see and block out the sidebar. Easy breezy!

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Maybe Hockey's Future should stop sucking ass if they want more traffic. Hire some writers who actually have a clue what they are talking about.

Do they actually pay the writers? I assumed it was all volunteer work....mostly due to the caliber of the writing. I'm sure it's not much, if they do get compensated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad